Picture Show (A thread for interesting photos from the world of movies and TV)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I'm sorry Jerol, only thing I can recommend is to right click the photo and explore the options.
    I knew Rusty Goldman and Chet Helms so I posted the photo.
    Rusty Goldman

2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

And this is a thread about movies and TV

3. JozefK

[​IMG]

A very young Warren Oates

Al Kuenster likes this.
  4. JozefK

S/Sgt Barry Sadler, who had the biggest record of 1966 with his classic "The Ballad Of The Green Berets", as "sadistic killer Barney Barry" in the heist film Dayton's Devils (1968)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JozefK

Shat himself, 1955

[​IMG]

6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

7. JozefK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slim Pickens

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

9. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

10. JozefK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Richard Lewis is pranked on a 1963 episode of Candid Camera

11. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

I’ve never been interested in Prog...until now!

12. JozefK

[​IMG]

Joe Pesci

13. JozefK

Ex-Prostitute Becomes Crusading Evangelist Dept: Tony Randall enjoying a smoke. Randall eventually gave up the habit and (in)famously became a fanatical anti-smoking zealot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vinnie, Al Kuenster, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  14. JozefK

Come on people now
    Smile on your brother
    Everybody get together
    Try to love one another right now...

[​IMG]

15. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

He even wore black when a kid.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I thought I had seen damned near every behind-the-scenes shot from Star Wars ever, but here's a new one:

[​IMG]
    [pic courtesy of the Behind the Clapperboard group on Facebook]

Note that Carrie Fisher is standing on a double-apple box to put her a little above Harrison Ford's eyeline to provide a better position for the reverse shot of the camera behind her. The bearded man in the white is not Obiwan (who was already dead in the movie) but veteran British cinematographer Gil Taylor, who did not get along well with Lucas during the film; Taylor did not appreciate Lucas' specific instructions on lighting techniques. Harrison Ford is very tall -- note how short Mark Hamill looks standing next to him (which is true).

I'm surprised they're using this many hard lights on the shot, because nowadays they would use much softer lights. These I think are 2K's and 750s with heavy diffusion, but the lighting is set for Harrison. I'm guessing this is late summer of 1976 at Elstree Studios in London.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

" ... The bearded man in the white is not Obiwan (who was already dead in the movie) but veteran British cinematographer Gil Taylor ..."

I think Gilbert Taylor is the man behind the camera. The bearded man is a minor character in the film who takes part in the medal ceremony.

Taylor and Lucas did not get along - at all. The story goes that Lucas went to the studio (20th C Fox) and demanded Taylor be fired mid way through filming. The studio refused. Once the film was done Taylor refused to work with Lucas ever again.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You may be right -- that is a bit "costumey." Here is Taylor and Lucas on location:

[​IMG]

I'm told that Geoff Glover was the official A-camera operator for the film, but that doesn't mean that Gil Taylor never stood behind the camera.

Lucas told me that they did not get along but didn't say he tried to fire him. He also said that the entire UK crew was pretty rude and disrespectful throughout the shoot, because they thought he was a "kid" who had gotten lucky with American Graffiti. He did tell me he had to fire the original UK editor (whose name I don't know), who couldn't give Lucas what he wanted. After Star Wars became the biggest film in history, it's fair to say people treated him a lot different (and a lot better).

We did have a conversation about the "hazy look" (heavy diffusion) of Episode 4, which Lucas told me was a Taylor decision. Wikipedia claims it was Lucas' decision and that, if anything, Taylor backed off from what the director originally wanted. I can only say that all of Lucas' subsequent films did not have that super-diffused look, and if anything he went very sharp for the other Star Wars films. The Indiana Jones films do have a nostalgic look, but I think Lucas left that choice up to Spielberg.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Herbert Lom, War and Peace (though he had played him earlier in The Young Mr Pitt)

23. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Thanks!

24. JozefK

The late Charles Portis on the set of True Grit, adapted from his novel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. JozefK

[​IMG]

David Letterman yearbook photo, 1962