Pink Floyd - Animals Deluxe Edition: (2018 remix Released Sept 2022)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2022.

1. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Listening to Animals remix again for the umpteenth time. I have never listened to this album as much until this came along.

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I was really, really lucky, because I ordered my vinyl copy from Barnes and Noble and it's one of the best-pressed LPs I've bought this year. It's probably wiser to wait a few months for a second pressing though, because there's so many bum copies out there. This reissue has got to be the single most QC-challenged LP in years and that's saying something.

I got the Blu-ray and the LP so I could get everything I really wanted (LP, 5.1, hi-res original mix) and save money over the big set.

Vaughan and bjhess like this.
  3. bjhess

bjhess Forum Resident

I really need to spin this soon. For whatever reason I buy things and they sit on the shelf unopened…

4. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

This, completely. I really like the new mix, but have found myself switching between the high res versions of the old and new mixes a lot. Nice having a Blu Ray (albeit ripped) with both options in excellent quality.

JulesRules, childerikov and rontoon like this.
  5. dkmonroe

Yeah, I still strongly believe that no remix will actually replace the original mix, the next time they release a Floyd box or do another reissue campaign, it'll be the original Animals and not the remix. They're never going to say, "Nope, no OG for you, it's only the remix from now on. If you want the original mix go flip through the stacks at your local used record store, loser."

Max Florian and PDK like this.
  6. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

So I've gone off the deep end (maybe I was already off lol?) and been purchasing MANY different copies of all of the Pink Floyd CDs (original US, Japan for EU, '94 Doug Sax, 2011, etc.) and my current favorite copy of the original Animals is likely the 2011 version with the '94 Sax a close second place by an ass whisker. I need to listen to the original U.K. again which is no slouch either. The 2018 remix gets very high marks from me as well but as many have stated there's absolutely no replacing the original for me. It's a absolute stone cold masterpiece just the way it originally sounded. A 10 out of 10 for me. The remix is just a lot of fun in my mind. Some nice overall clarity, drums, dry vocals, increased bass etc. but perhaps slightly more recessed guitars in a few spots. I totally 100% understand those that just can't get over the differences though. It really helps if you can view them as two completely different entities rather than comparing one against the other.

7. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

:laugh:
    I have a friend since high school who played drums - at the time (in the late '70's) he played his dad's old Slingerland kit, which had old skins and sounded dead. We referred to his drum sound as 'falling down the stairs' . :laugh:

8. Beatles-4-Ever

Beatles-4-Ever Forum Resident

I think that there is a missing link between the 1977 mix and the 2018 remix : one with a better sound only, clearer as the 2018 remix is but with all the things we were used to with the 1977 mix...
    That said, don't get me wrong, I appreciate the 2018 remix.

penguinzzz likes this.
  9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'm not so sure about that. For one, I doubt that there will ever be another box from this era and the release of The Later Years box featured the new mix of AMLOR and not the old one.
    That would certainly be the HD (24-192) release from last year. It's a sonic revelation. :love:
    https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/616d7617fc639e02f2d50733

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  10. dkmonroe

Yeah, but that's a box set. Like the Early Years has the remix of Obscured By Clouds. It was to give you a reason to buy The Early Years (and The Later Years), not necessarily to erase the original mix.

JulesRules likes this.
  11. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Too much here to reply to (and honestly it doesn't concern me that much) but I'm listening to the uncompressed new stereo mix again.

Dogs actually sounds very nice. Everything is opened up and as I mentioned before it has a live feel to it, but it loses the impact of the original mix. The new mix certainly makes an impact but in a completely different way. Everything is rebalanced and not necessarily for the better, but it's ok.

Pigs is a mess. Bass is boosted throughout the song with some serious depth in places that draws you out of the song completely. Roger's vocals are at a different level and tonal balance is completely different. Not a fan of this mix at all.

Sheep is ok for the most part. The only substantial change is the reading of the "Psalm"...it is much more decipherable now that the level is increased and the voices sound less robotic. Again, it's cool but I prefer the original.

Pigs on the Wing, Pts I and II sound the best.

P.S. Listening to the hi-res original mix now...still liking this one a lot.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Isn't that what you wrote?

13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Well having only vocals and an acoustic guitar to remix can't be too drastic regarding change. But making those vocals totally dry certainly does set them apart.

anth67 and Max Florian like this.
  14. dkmonroe

I meant like a "Oh By The Way" type box that compiles all the original albums, not a box set specially focused on stuff that most people haven't heard before. That's what I meant by "A Floyd box or do another reissue campaign."

PDK and rontoon like this.
  15. Nanotear

Nanotear Drummer, Writer, FM radio DJ, cookie baker, etc

I just came by to say that this blu-ray has my favorite 5.1 mix that I've heard to date. And I'm so thankful that they are selling a standalone blu-ray. Wish The Beatles would do the same.

JulesRules, duneman, formu_la and 5 others like this.
  16. Nanotear

Nanotear Drummer, Writer, FM radio DJ, cookie baker, etc

What's really cool is that, in the 5.1 mix, the first acoustic track is just in the front speakers, and they save all the fancy rear/surround elements for tracks 2 and beyond. I love that approach.

RockNRod, JulesRules, PDK and 3 others like this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Given the propensity for folks here to buy multiple copies of the same exact album, it's understandable that a new mix is poo-pooed.

Max Florian, fishcane and hi_watt like this.
  18. Automatic Changer

Automatic Changer Forum Resident

totally agree. They’re companion pieces rather than drawing a line in the sand.

19. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

They took a step further now. No bluray at all.
    Good old times when I could buy a Blu-ray (even with a useless box):laugh:

20. glocke12

glocke12 New Member

Finally got around to listening to this. I ordered the deluxe set mid October and didn't get a chance to listen to it until a couple of weeks ago. Removing the album from the sleeve I was disappointed to see some scratching on the the first track, and unsurprisingly there is a " pop " in that area that goes on for the first minute. The whole album is also pretty noisy despite giving it an ultrasonic clean.

Ordered a second one off amazon and that one arrived yesterday and is a far better listening experience, the whole album is almost dead silent.

Interestingly enough the first one I ordered didn't spin correctly in my Humminguru ultrasonic cleaner..I had to jury rig it to get it to spin. Second one from amazon ? No issues with it spinning in the ultrasonic machine.

21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Partway through dogs,my red book sounds like a cement mixer.Anybody else have this issue?I guess I have to contact Acoustic Sounds.

22. Humongous Donkey

Humongous Donkey Well-Known Member

FWIW .... I finally found a vinyl copy of the remix from Acoustic Sounds that is pretty much flawless after the two failed Amazon copies. Love the remix as well as the original.

JulesRules and MrCJF like this.
  23. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

It’s a shame they re-invented the wheel for the Animals set. The price is ok for the deluxe, but I won’t ever play the Vinyl.

I could purchase the CD and the Blu-ray for £25.

24. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I grabbed the Shine On box for a song back in the early 2000’s. Excellent sound across the board. None of the 2011’s really bettered them, IMO.

But this 2018 remix is now my preferred Animals by a large margin. Felt the same about Steven Wilson’s Chicago II remix when it came along as well.

25. Square Hammer

Square Hammer Forum Resident

The original mix on the Blu Ray is sublime. My go-to. I like the remix but prefer the thicker guitar sound on the original mix.

James Bennett likes this.