Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother to be released in Japan with bonus Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NunoBento, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Petr Kropotkin

Petr Kropotkin Forum Resident

Someone over on QQ said that the audio is not of Floyd playing Atom Heart Mother, but bits of other songs. So while we hear Atom Heart Mother done live, what we see is not them actually performing that song.

Can anyone else confirm/refute?

hi_watt likes this.
  2. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star Thread Starter

Well, I caved. Order is placed, AHM50 is coming.

... And the Pink Floyd Live In japan book is coming too :crazy:

hi_watt and Jerry Horne like this.
  3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Of course that is the case. Anyone who has ever seen this before will tell you the same.

4. fspadafora

fspadafora Forum Resident

The amazon exclusive "mega jacket" is a bit of a strange bonus. Just a thin cover 10" slick.

5. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

6. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Got mine today. The video quality is certainly light years ahead of The Early Years box. It's edited differently, too, as is the audio.

7. Swirly Wilbury

Swirly Wilbury Forum Resident

with the Amazon exclusive mega jacket:

[​IMG]

8. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

Well mine just turned up and it’s quite the impressive package

I almost don’t want to open the thing

So this shipped from Japan on Wednesday and I have it here in the UK Friday morning, that kind of delivery just blows my mind

9. hutchguv

Well I just watched the blu ray

Probably won’t ever watch it again

But I will admit all the booklets and paraphernalia that comes with it is mightily impressive

Japan record companies certainly know how to make something feel special

I know it’s a CD I already have in many various guises and a blu ray that contains what 15 minutes in total of stuff

But I’m kinda glad I forgot to cancel the pre order

it was a nice surprise turning up today and luckily for the first time in a while I can afford to indulge myself in silly little things like this

I showed it to my lady partner and she said “nice package”

Unfortunately she was talking about the Pink Floyd set

Silly joke there, but she did actually say that …. It is an impressive package, just lacking in real content

But for £60 to get here in less than three days from Japan to the UK I feel I got my monies worth.

I have all my music stored on a server now, so to have something tangible to actually just hold and look at was quite nice

Apologies if this is just a nonsense ramble, just thought I’d share my opinion on the set

10. hutchguv

It is a lot of money, for not a lot of content.

But if you like packaging and booklets it’s worth it

Hope that helps

11. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

The kind folks at DHL have decided I shouldn't have to wait until Monday - package now arriving later today.

Under 4 days from Japan to Massachusetts. Another reminder of how much better USPS could be...

ODShowtime likes this.
  12. mooncusser2k

Nevermind, scratch that - the package arrived beaten up and opened. :( The disc package appears mostly alright but the mega jacket is mega-creased. Very disappointing.

13. The Blu-Ray isn't the album itself given the Blu-Ray treatment? What's the point then?

rontoon and Anthrax like this.
  14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I did a careful side-by-side comparison between the original Hakone video and this new transfer and can confirm that this new release is exactly the same edit as the original film with one difference. At the 5-minute mark there is approximately 24 seconds of footage missing from all previous versions. There’s a really bad glitch at the 5-minute mark and I’m assuming that the proceeding 24 seconds of footage was damaged and an edit was made to remove it when it went into circulation.

I’m pretty certain that the original audio was replaced but the recording has yet to be identified.

Here’s the original film.

15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Thanks to Shuffle on Y! for sharing this info:

Yesterday there was an event in Hakone for the release of the AHM 50th anniversary edition, which I was able to attend, and I asked general manager of Sony Music Japan at the event how the release process came about.

He told me that the original plan was to use the audio from the film optical soundtrack, but Pink Floyd refused to allow it (because the sound quality was too poor).

Sony sent various sound sources to Pink Floyd, but these were also rejected, and Sony was even told to replace the sound with a live recording from another country, as it was not of Pink Floyd quality.

But Sony's general manager insisted: "We want to make something that will resonate with the Japanese people, so we have to include the Hakone recordings." he persisted.

PF manager said that he would leave the final decision to David Gilmour, and he sent me a sound source that he said I could use. That was stereo audience recording that was used this time.

16. hutchguv

sorry to hear yours was damaged

May I ask wher you ordered from?

I ordered mine from Amazon Japan and the packing was exemplary. it was packed in those air packet things then taped down to cardboard. It came in perfect condition.

Although I was lucky the outer box had no marks on it whatsoever

Mine also came via DHL

rontoon likes this.
  17. mooncusser2k

Mine was from Amazon Japan. The bonus "mega jacket" was exclusive to them. The disc and mega jacket were in a plastic bag, and placed in a box that was too narrow for the mega jacket to lie flat. So it wasn't great from the start. The package was so beaten up that I couldn't tell anything else about the packing. What I received was more of a folded piece of cardboard wrapped around something than it was a box.

I asked for a replacement but I suspect they don't have any available. (The item isn't available to order any more.) I'll take the refund and call it a day.

hutchguv likes this.
  18. hutchguv

Mine was from there as well, but it was well packaged, I surprised yours was different from the same place

I’m sorry you were unlucky with people that packaged and handled yours

I guess it just depends on the DHL employees handling the things. It does sound like the DHL people at your end might have just played football with the thing.

It’s good they gave you a refund, just a shame your package was damaged

it seems it’s a lottery when dhl is involved

I’m in the UK and have never had anything arrived damaged from DHL, maybe I’m just lucky

19. mooncusser2k

Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, if you order enough you're bound to run into some damages. Certainly not my first one, and in my experience Amazon usually does a decent job of remedying issues. Just disappointing they can't replace this item like in other cases.

First world problem, to be sure. If this is the worst thing that happens this week, then I'm doing just fine.

hutchguv likes this.
  20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

...the item without the mega sleeve is still in stock though.

rontoon likes this.
  21. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

As noted above, the mega sleeve from Amazon seen in Swirly Wilbury's post isn't a sleeve at all, but a rather homely 10x10 inches print of - what else? - the cover cow, with the words "Not For Sale" in a rectangle in the lower right corner.

CD Japan's shipment shown in Jerry Horne's post above comes with a square postcard, packaged separately, roughly 5.5x5.5 inches, Hakone art. On the rear it helpfully notes "Post Card" - thereby eliminating any confusion - and has a square where you can affix your stamp and send this collector item off into the void :agree: "Sony Music Japan International" appears in a tiny font lower right.

If there are any further variations I don't know about them, and don't ask how I ended up with copies of each :sigh:

22. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Whatever gets you through the night.

23. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

:laugh: :wave:

Jerry Horne and ODShowtime like this.
  24. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Just a general note that the "mega jacket" is now standard for many CD releases on amazon jp. As others have realized, it's a digital print of the cover, nothing more.
    It's common for retailers here to have an "exclusive" bonus. CD Japan, for example, might have a postcard or an A5 clear file. Tower Records may have the same or a variation with their logo somewhere.

frank3si and GoodKitty like this.
  25. granola

granola Forum Resident

[Unboxing] Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother (Hakone Aphrodite 50th Anniversary Edition) (CD Japan)