Pink Floyd Delicate Sound Of Thunder 2020 Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sis+erRay, Sep 24, 2020.

1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

The European pressed copies are indeed more difficult to disassemble. I left mine as it was because I was afraid to break it.

squittolo likes this.
  2. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

The version of LTF DSOT 2019 uploaded onto YT earlier from DSOT is longer then audio version uploaded yesterday?? I thought both were the same length 5.16 for the video premier today and 4.48 for the audio from yesterday

3. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

Picked up the remastered 4 LP vinyl Pulse last year. Also have Live at Pompeii & Live at Gdańsk. All terrific, with Gdańsk being tops. Lots of song overlap though. Anyone out there think DSOT performances stand out enough or are different enough for me to consider the 3 LP vinyl version? Not a completist, so probably sitting this one out... feeling the tug though!

Szeppelin75 and Clucking like this.
  4. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I wish they had released every concert cd as standalones - The Man and The Journey live Amsterdam 1969, Live at the Empire Pool 1974, Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-1981, Live at Knebworth 1990. So that the ones of us who have no interest in the megaboxes would have the option to buy just the live albums instead.

5. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Is "In The Flesh" available on vinyl?

I have the 2CD and DVD of In The Flesh and think it is a great complementary set to Gdansk. I think Pulse is adequate from this line up.

Dog Ear likes this.
  6. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Oh silly typo. You are quite correct

Geordiepete likes this.
  7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Being a PF fan since the early 70s I would be in for a Pulse box set. I would hope they expand the CD and video to include the additional live tracks not on the original CD.

ponkine, Szeppelin75 and Uncle Miles like this.
  8. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

Nice to see this getting a stand alone release.
    Was hoping it would as I find the Later Years box set overkill.
    Maybe they could have been more upfront about it,
    like with the "Early Years" release when it was clear you could get the items separately.
    But at least for those already having the box set this contains nothing that isn't already in the" Later Years" set.

Since I want both the cd set and the Blue Ray anyway, getting the deluxe edtion is the way to go.
    Especially looking forward seeing DSOT as I didn't have the VHS or DvD before.

Geordiepete likes this.
  9. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

The Man and the Journey was released separately at least.
    The Early Years 1965–1972 - Wikipedia

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  10. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

I’ll happily get the dvd, but I’m sticking to my original copy on cd. It’s the first ever album played in space!

Charlie Z. likes this.
  11. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Well, Delicate Sound of Thunder is the sound of Pink Floyd's defiance against the threat of demise. There's more exuberance in the performance than on Pulse, which is nonetheless very good, but different, more comfortable. There's a greater degree of musical playfulness with their songs on Delicate Sound.

Ideally, I'd like the blu-ray (including five songs from the 'Yet Another Movie' to 'A New Machine, Part 2') and the 3 LPs and am disappointed that the full blu-ray can't be purchased without the set that includes the CDs and DVD. I might wait for the prices to come down and buy one or the other.

Does anyone know if the blu-ray resolution, e.g. that on The Later Years set, since this new set isn't available yet, will be higher than the copy available on the HD Pink Floyd channel? If the resolution is more or less the same, that might help me decide to go for the 3-LP album.

'05Train, fishcane and Dog Ear like this.
  12. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Wish there was a blu-ray of In the Flesh. :rolleyes:

13. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

At least the DVD of In the Flesh has a 20 bit PCM stereo track.

Being shorter, the DVD of Gilmour's In Concert has a 24 bit PCM stereo track.

I really wish more artists had used higher resolution PCM on their DVDs. An opportunity missed.

14. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Or at least tiddlywinks and a beanie... ;)

Slim Zooms likes this.
  15. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Man, it was the times, and I suspect that hairstyle has earned him a fortune.

andrewskyDE and Slim Zooms like this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Tina Turner's sax player, Hall + Oates sax player and Blues Brothers also had silly mullet around the same time.

squittolo and Slim Zooms like this.
  17. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

I've never got round to ripping audio from concert films so far, but plan to do that some afternoon. Maybe Handbrake or MakeMKV would do that on my Mac.

18. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

I don't think The Man And The Journey will ever see the official standalone CD release. I was listening to it the other day and... no... There's not so many people ready to give their money even for Ummagumma in fact.

Is There Anybody Out There?
    WAS a standalone 2CD back in 1999.

19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Personally I rate The Man and The Journey higher than Ummagumma.

It's not just musically superior in my mind, but it is essential historically in terms of sign posting the direction they would take for the next decade or so.

JulesRules and Buddybud like this.
  20. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

And lest we forget...Bono.

squittolo and NunoBento like this.
  21. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

Indeed it was.
    The original release comes in a nice bookcase package, but was limited.
    But even the later re-release is difficult to get nowadays.

The Man And The Journey
    however is still avaiable as standalone release though.
    Maybe I didn't say so clearly before, as I posted a link to the 1969 Dramatis/ation discs as part of the Early Years box set,but it's available separately.
    Sure it contains other stuff and includes a DVD + Blue-Ray, so in that sense it might not be considered standalone enough.
    But it's all on the second disc and all the other content is from that time frame.
    It has been cheap enough, at least till recently to consider it a viable option if you wanted this material.

https://www.amazon.com/1969-Dramati...19YY2YGRVRP&psc=1&refRID=D8ANV0EX919YY2YGRVRP

22. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

Funny, I just listened to this the other day. I like the concept, and the way it rounds up so much of their early material, but that performance is...rough. Gilmour’s singing on The Narrow Way isn’t great. Probably my favorite track from Ummagumma otherwise.

JulesRules, Choba b CCCP and Bink like this.
  23. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Nope, a 13W LED lightbulb...

24. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I haven't watched Pulse in years but I remember the performances not having a lot of energy and I always preferred DSOT. Time to check if my memory still works!

As for a Pulse box, I would hope we don't see one. Pulse looked bad on DVD and other upconverted concert blu-rays from videotape that I have seen (Nightwish's End of an Era) looked awful. People made similar comments about Rush's Rio bluray which was also SD only, the reviews were bad enough that I never bought it.

Geordiepete likes this.
  25. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

The real plus would be the lossless audio, I’d buy it for that reason. I also don’t think the video is that bad.

MichaelCPE likes this.