Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

If this seems to be the general consensus with these remasters, I'll probably just pass on them. All the PF discs I have are from '92 and '97 I believe. Doug Sax remasters. I am very happy with the sound so if the difference is only slight, I think I'll stick with what I have.

2. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Hahahaha...impossible to get any kind of consensus on this thread. I'll probably just buy the freakin' boxes and be done with it. :D

3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

The gorts will probably kill me for suggesting this but......has anyone considered starting separate threads for each of the remastered albums in the Discovery box. This was done for the Beatles remasters a couple of years ago (man, has it been 2 years already).

Anyway, this would allow discussion about each of the albums to be separate and perhaps easier for people to just read the comments for the disc(s) they are interested in.

What do you all think?

4. ammoj2

ammoj2 Forum Resident

I disagree, I find the new Animals remaster to sound much cleaner and better defined than the Doug Sax remaster. Especially in the drums.

5. swanlee

swanlee Active Member

Ok just to clarify a little, some of these are louder then previous versions however they are not louder and not brickwalled compared to recent remasters from other bands.

Another point, the sound difference from the main albums like DSOTM, WYWH, Meddle,The Wall, Animals is not that huge a difference from all the various versions already out there. These new ones at least stand toe to toe with the best versions and to me I like the sound of them.

Now when you are talking the lesser known albums like More, Obscured by Clouds, ASFOS, The Studio side of Ummagumma these are light years above previous versions.

Piper is better than the 2007 version but I really really want a version that is a tad warmer, I'd like them to run the master through a tube DAC or something to bring out the warmth that is lacking in all the versions out there.

The great thing about this box set is you buy one box set and you instantly have either the best CD version of the Album or something very very close to it, instead of trying to track down cd's from different remasters, plant pressings, catalog numbers etc.

6. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Cool...thanks, I appreciate your input.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Fine by me. We did it with the Beatles remasters a couple of years ago.

8. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I'd be interested to hear if the new remaster of The Final Cut is an improvement over the 2004 version...which I love.

9. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I think I might have to pick up this set.
    But then all I've ever listened to is DSOTM and The Wall. :sigh:
    After a little research it seems I have missed out on a lot of good music and this box set is aptly named for someone like me.

-- Sanjay

10. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Rfi,

Thanks for the peak levels, but you seem to have listed Meddle twice, and forgot to list Wish You Were Here. Do you have readings for that one?

11. axeugene

axeugene It don't matter if yer by my side, I'm satisfied

All in all my bottom line is this:
    Pink Floyd is my top band. I have listened and listened to these albums, I can play most of the songs on guitar or piano or whatever, I could literally write out the lyrics for at least a couple or more of them blah blah blah....

This whole reissue business has me listening to them with fresh ears again and just appreciating the evolution of this bloody effing great band. I love this band and I love when I get to remember how much I love this band.
    Are the masterings better or worse? They sound great. For me it's almost beside the point when I get sucked into Fearless, or The Thin Ice again.

12. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

I've listened it a little bit. For me it sounds almost as loud as the 2004 remaster but not so compressed. Maybe it's also a bit more clearer

Wish You Were Here remaster sounds fantastic over the 1994 European release!

13. swanlee

swanlee Active Member

Good call, I listened to it and thought it sounded ok but then compared to a vinyl rip I have and it stomps this cd, and yeah it is way compressed and does not sound very good. Seems to be the only one they kind of messed up on. The rest of the cd's sound really good but you nailed it on AMLOR it sounds very dull and compressed almost MP3 ish.

14. Duck Feeling

Duck Feeling Forum Resident

I think the greatest improvements are A Saucerful Of Secrets and More. They sound clearer and more powerful. Meddle is a bit better too, especially on the "rock" moments.

Other albums (I only bought Piper to Dark Side) sound a lot as the old versions. Digisleeves are just fine, not so deluxe, but impressions are great. I like it.

15. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

16. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Does anybody know if the Target sale (9.99 for single CD remasters and the $5 coupon) was just a one-day deal or if it might continue through today?

I want to pick up Saucerful of Secrets and More, even though there is a good chance we'll get a Piper/Saucer Deluxe next summer, I think my current Sax remasters could use some improvement and would like to pick these up soon. Maybe I'll throw The Wall in there since I don't even own a copy of that one (not one of my favorites of theirs).

Relics was not reissued. Is that correct?

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Listening to Wish You Were Here from the Discovery box now. No comparisons, but the disc sounds quite good on its own. One thing I always listen for is harshness in vocals. I do not hear that on this disc. When I get a chance, I will compare it to the 35DP 4 CD, but I like the remaster at this point.

18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

As much I love box sets, I think with this one I am going to just buy a few select titles and wait and see if the do Immersion sets for other albums.

19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Thats correct, unfornately Relics is not part of the reissue campaing.
    But, maybe just maybe they will do more Experience or Immersion sets that would contain those songs and many more stuff thats not on these releases.

Nick Mason has already hinted that there will most likely be Immersion set of PATGOD/SOS, which should be out next summer or so.

20. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

I had a EU pressing that should have been un-remastered but was remastered in 1997 or so and it had almost the same problems. It felt really compressed and it had also distortion. It was louder than this Discovery edition but I'm still disappointed with this. Could someone tell how the first pressing of AMLOR sounds?

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I hope it's still on. I want to use my $5 gift card to buy 2 more discs and get another $5 gift card.

You won't find those at Target, I'm afraid.

Correct.

22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

For an ultra quiet pressing of A momentary lapse of reason you may want to track down the third or fourth Columbia US pressing.

These are the peak levels (courtesy of Vernon's excellent PF website)

36.9 / 57.5 / 53.5 / 51.3 / 48.9 / 57.5 / 23.5 / 57.4 / 22.8 / 53.5

http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DUSCDPF.htm#MLOR3

23. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

It doesn't need to be so quiet, I would just want it to sound non-compressed. I really like this album, it's so much fresher than for example Final Cut. That's why it's sad that both of the versions that I've heard sound a bit compressed and lack punch. Why couldn't they remastered this as the others which sound lively and dynamic? I'm not saying that this 2011 remaster is bad but I think that it is one of the worst of these.

24. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Then the early european EMI cd will do..plenty of used copy like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.it/Pink-Floyd-A-Mom...?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item1c1f2ac426

Just be sure to obtain the one that has catalogue number CDP 7 48068 2.

And as they say, the search function is your friend:)

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=170679&highlight=momentary+lapse+reason

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=117756&highlight=momentary+lapse+reason

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=177094&highlight=momentary+lapse+reason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.