Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion Blu Ray Failure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tornado Red, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Petr Kropotkin

Petr Kropotkin Forum Resident

Hi, could you please let me know what the inner ring number is and where it was sent from (mine was from the UK, Hoylake PO Box 263)? As I mentioned a few pages back (post #723), my replacement discs have each been of the bad batch, either 294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production (L0 or L1). Thanks.

JediJoker likes this.
  2. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

OK, it's the Dark Side of the Moon blu ray we're talking about, not the Wish You Were Here one. It's difficult getting a picture of the number since you have to hold it right against the light. But I think it's #294349DB44459. There could be more numbers/letters but the pictures fades out.

3. Petr Kropotkin

Yes, sorry, I did mean "Dark Side Of The Moon". The reason I was asking was that if your disc had a different number to mine, and came from the same address, I could tell them to send me one that didn't have my number (and could quote yours which worked). But it looks like your number is the same as mine, so it's back to square one. I think I'll just email them and explain the issue; thanks for checking for me.

4. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

How long ago did you request a replacement? And did they respond with a shipping notice?

thx

5. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

God, I asked months ago I guess. And yes, I was informed about a month ago that I would be receiving a new one.

6. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

I bought it at Amazon recently and it's DOA.

The Blu ray was what I expected to play 90% of the time and would happily have a good Blu ray disc over the the included DVD's. Very Frustrating.

There seem to be lots of these still out in the marketplace Sealed and Brand New.

My disc looked fine. No bubbling and no dark splotches. I have had a couple of Criterion Blu ray discs suffer from "rot" which looked like a smearing or bronzing of the disc but this new disc looks absolutely fine.

7. Petr Kropotkin

In my own case, and after requesting a replacement a few months earlier, Andy sent this email on Dec. 6:
    "Thanks for the email. We were originally informed that the Replacement service was closed for The Dark Side of The Moon, but I believe this may re-open.
    Please send me your address and we’ll send you a replacement Blu-ray.
    Best,
    Andy
    aeCreate"

There was no shipping notification that one was sent, but the postmark was Dec. 11 (from the UK), and I got mine (in rural Australia) on Dec. 23.

JediJoker likes this.
  8. Petr Kropotkin

Given today's e-mail from jpc.de I would advise anyone to stay clear of ordering the Immersion box set of DSoTM from them. They wrote:
    "...the BluRay was tested before shipping.
    It worked very well.
    Unfortunately I can only offer you the return
    of the box for credit."

To which I replied (having now lost patience with them sending me faulty replacement discs):

"What do you mean it was tested to ensure it worked "very well"? It either works properly, or it doesn't.
    Let's just forget it. You sent me four discs that do not work on either Oppo, Panasonic, or Samsung blu-ray players. There is a 31-page discussion on the Steve Hoffman forum about the failures of this disc and you keep sending me a disc from the European batch by Optimal Media that has been recognised as faulty. Having brought this to your attention, I note that you are still selling the Immersion box set on your web site, which would be illegal in Australia (i.e. that you are selling a product widely know to be faulty).
    I will no longer be ordering anything from you."

Six Bachelors and JediJoker like this.
  9. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Today I received the WYWH Immersion box set I ordered from an italian online store. It was a sealed copy.
    The box is definitely a european one, the 4 discs were dislodged but luckily not scratched, it has a sticker with a multilingual advice about small parts, the FSK sticker outside (removable) and a piece of paper with some info about FSK inside.
    But the bluray is the american one, with no clicks on the 5.1 mix.
    Its matrix number is BVSS-196910A1 2.

I bought it expecting to find a defective copy, but got lucky and got a good one.

10. :righton:

11. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

That's surprising. I think either it does work or not at all. If it is recognized but doesn't play, then there must be a different issue?? Especially when you got the replacement disc - there's no explanation why that shouldn't work.

12. johnrv

johnrv New Member

I have this disc, only played it a couple of times, last time on a mac external drive, now won't play on either of our blu ray players or the mac drive

Is there a source for a replacement? My copy is from the immersions box set I bought about 2 yrs ago via amazon

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2020
  13. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

14. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Have you solved this issue?
    I have a somewhat similar problem with both the DSOTM and WYWH blurays. If I play one of them in my system, with a Sony BDP-S380 bluray player, the album plays in PCM 2.0 regardless of the mix I choose. Funny thing is, the soundscape on the menu is correctly played in 5.1 and other discs with surround audio play just fine. It worked fine less than two weeks ago.
    However, this is not disc-related as both discs streams the correct (i.e. selected) mix. I'm sure of this as the selected mix is saved when selected, it's actually played (I verified by means of the audio info shown on screen and also by playing the discs in my PC) and also I can hear the differences between the different mixes (especially the quad mixes) even though they're reproduced in stereo.
    In my case, I'm sure there's some issue with my receiver. If I solve this, I'll report back.

JediJoker and zinan like this.
  15. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

I assume your Sony BDP-S380 bluray player doesn't play 5.1 audio. If I read the instruction correctly, it can only play sound 2.0

16. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

The email address for a replacement is in this thread, though I believe the replacement programme has actually closed now. I wouldn’t advise anyone to buy a DSOTM box now; I don’t believe new boxes have been manufactured for years, so any “new” box anyone buys is highly likely to be old stock with a defective Blu Ray. Anyone who has a working BD is strongly advised to rip a full copy on a computer sooner rather than later in case the BD subsequently dies. My disc looked pristine even after it failed. Unfortunately, if you aggregate problems people have had with DSOTM, WYWH and the Early Years box, it would appear that the quality control on PF Blu Rays is suspect. I am now the proud owner of a replacement DSOTM, WYWH and full set of EY BDs, and the first thing I did with every disc was rip the whole disc and make multiple backups. If Blu Ray has a middle name, it’s not “stability”.

Edit: the Later Years BDs were taken out of the box and backed up on their first play. If nothing else, backup with MakeMKV will identify any disc read errors.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  17. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

No, it does play 5.1 audio and in fact the soundscape of both discs plays at 5.1. I tried some other discs just to be sure: the DSOTM dvd, a movie with DTS HD and also the bluray from Later Years with the hi-res albums. Everything plays fine except for the PCM 5.1 mix on the Later Years bluray which goes back to PCM 2.0.
    But I am fairly sure neither the player nor the discs are at fault in my case.

18. Sevoflurane

It may just be a disc authoring issue that reveals itself on some players. Does your BD player have the latest firmware, as firmware updates have been known to fix odd disc incompatibilities? Do you have the ability to rip / burn BDR discs? The reason I ask is that ripping the audio and then making a BDR with just the PCM 5.1 mix on may make it playable. An example: in the Early Years box the quad version of Atom Heart Mother doesn’t play right to the end due to an authoring problem. The audio is all there on the disc, and when I did as I describe above and rip and burn a disc it plays to the end. If the audio can all be ripped on a computer without generating lots of read errors, that implies that the disc itself is okay.

JediJoker and mc9 like this.
  19. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Yes, the BD player is up to date. I also switched to a BDP S480 player which is at least more recent (this is all that I have now) and has the latest firmware. Nothing changed. All worked fine until a couple weeks ago.
    MakeMKV shows no errors when ripping the discs, so they're good luckily. I'll try burning a BD myself and see what happens when I have some spare time.

20. Sevoflurane

One useful thing about doing this is you end up with an audio only BD with no menus, so you can put the disc in, hit “play” and the music starts, just like an SACD. I compiled one BD of PF quad mixes and one of 5.1 mixes. No need to switch the screen on.

albelTW likes this.
  21. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

Just purchased WYWH off of Amazon UK yesterday and have just read about defective BLU-RAY discs which is the only reason I wanted this set!.

can anyone tell me if mine is defective please

it says I think

IFPI ZQ01

and in bigger text

294389 DB44460-01 Optimal Media Productions

I’ve also just today ordered the Wall an Dark Side from Amazon

22. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

The defective WYWH blu ray has loud clicks at 41:48, 43:54 and 44:10 on the 5.1 program

23. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

just played it at those sections but only have a two channel system and cannot here any loud clicks through the two speakers

24. Sevoflurane

The stereo mix is not afflicted, but a stereo down mix of the 5.1, which you should be able to get your disc player to play, will reveal the clicks if you have a bad copy. Not a subtle defect.

25. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

Set it to down mixed stereo in Audio Processing on BDP-95 and still don’t hear the issues mentioned , funny as the one I have is mentioned as defective earlier in this thread?.