Pink Floyd Immersion Sets- why so expensive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jam757, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Bought all three Immersion sets via pre-order. They were around $100 each when new and in print, so your pricing is way off OP. I do wish sets like this would stay in print for longer, but if it's music I love from a band I love, I usually tend to ignore the price tag.

2. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I use the scarf and wear the coasters.

The madcap laughs.

Buddybud, klockwerk, mcd4959 and 3 others like this.
  3. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

It is ultimately the consumer who controls the prices. If nobody buys them because the price is too high, the price will come down. But if people are willing to fork out a bunch of money, the prices will remain high.
    Supply & demand.

klockwerk likes this.
  4. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I think that remasters, deluxe sets, anniversary editions and boxsets are all seriously overpriced. I would buy more if they cost less. All this talk of CDs being dead and streaming being king seems to have made no impression on pricing whatsoever. Even used non-remastered CDs from back in the day cost a bomb precisely because the newer remasters are so poor. The whole market is messed up.

Doggiedogma and Jam757 like this.
  5. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

CD 6 on DSOTM set is absolutely fabulous, probably my go to when I want to listen to that album.

I can’t remember what I paid for the immersion sets but the marketing guys now how to hook us in!

Gary

Jam757 likes this.
  6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Such a a weird comment, given you started the thread. You're complaining that a box set costs too much, but you don't want it anyway?!?

I have the boxes, and love them. Yes, marbles and all - they were a wonderfully surreal inclusion. You can buy them today for around about the original price. But yeah, if you only want one disc from the set, you're out of luck. Can't you get surround of Dark Side and Wish You Were Here on SACD?

quicksrt likes this.
  7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't really think it's a weird comment. Look, love Dave, Love Pink Floyd, even mostly love Waters although most of his solo stuff is garbage. These are highly overpriced. Even the 5.1 Wish You Were Here SACD should be no more than $15. For comparison sake, The Led Zeppelin How The West Was Won deluxe set with 5 lp, 2 cd, and blu ray, nice book, etc. is only $107. It's called milking the cash cow of massive success and other bands have done this also. I've personally spent close to $1,000 on Pink Floyd merchandise, own all the original albums, all of the reissues, Experience version CD's, countless blu rays and DVD's. Is it really too much to ask?

8. Jam757

I totally agree. A used "box set" should cost LESS THAN IT DID when it was new not six times as much!!! Price the items lower and make more copies of them. There are still massive profits to be made.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  9. Jam757

Exactly, there is demand but there should be far more supply to level this out at least a little bit.

impalaboy likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Wish You Were here and Dark side are on sacd without the box.
    Many bands don't even give you that option, and yes it's an annoyance

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

The problem is, these are limited release collector things ... people will ask what they want because for the most part you can't get them new anymore I guess

St. Troy, OptimisticGoat and Jam757 like this.
  12. Jam757

I read on other sites with people posting links for cheaper prices but I stand corrected as apparently most people paid around $100. I usually ignore the prices too and have a massive music collection. That still doesn't mean I feel certain items are overpriced. I do agree with you that I generally do ignore the price tag if I have to have it.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  13. All the time we buy them they will keep charging top dollar for new box sets.

Jam757 likes this.
  14. Jam757

This is true. Is it just me or is blu-ray audio expanding in format? I've been quite pleased with the ones I've heard. I still need to get a SACD player. I might buy a Sony BDP-x700 to just hook up for audio use.

kanakaris and Frederick Mars like this.
  15. Yes - seems to be. I'm in the same boat and was considering an SACD player.

16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

My question is:
    Why are the two new McCartney Archive box sets so expensive?!?
    o_O

17. Because they can be. I find it rather elitist. You might follow an artist for years and then one day they bring out a big expensive box set that you, as a true fan would love but can't afford. Its like saying that he only cares about his rich fans.

18. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

Hear, hear.

PS I was very lucky to snap up The Wall Immersion - new at 50 euros.

19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

At least when the Immersion box sets came out, they were relatively affordable.
    "Wild Life" and, especially, "Red Rose Speedway" don't give you much more than the 2 CD set...honestly.

Doggiedogma and Frederick Mars like this.
  20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It's annoying that some titles are limited and you don't have the money for them and when you do, they are even more expensive.
    On the other hand , a lot of the "elements' in these expensive box sets, including the 5.1 DVD's might eventually--perhaps sooner than you think--be available to buy separately. I mean, look at the recent Bowie Loving the Alien. Some of the most interesting parts of that box are already scheduled for release.
    Box sets can always be broken up I guess.

Frederick Mars and Jam757 like this.
  21. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Well, the snide answer would be to say "Welcome to the free market" but the truth is that the market for physical releases of music has shrunk considerably in the last 10-15 years thanks to downloads and streaming. The record companies have to take their revenue where they find it, and one of the places they can consistently find it is by re-releasing "Classic Rock" albums from the 60s and 70s. Given the small size of the market these days, they're going to price these releases as high as they think they can get away with, because they know there are a lot of middle-aged fans out there who will pay almost any price for this stuff (especially if there's previously-unreleased material involved and not just a remaster of an album that's been purchased multiple times before).

ARK, zinan, Christopher B and 4 others like this.
  22. This is true enough but the launch price for individual Bowie CD's is over the top. £13 I think in the UK?

JoeF. likes this.
  23. mark winstanley

Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here-Hybrid Multichannel SACD|Acoustic Sounds

Wish you Were Here Was Just Reissued
    Dark side is on it's way
    Animals coming soon

24. I agree with your points. For me it boils down to simple greed as always from the record company - sell as little as possible for as much as possible and always hold something good back.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It's only "greedy" inasmuch as they want to earn money for their business. Capitol Records isn't a non-profit organization, as far as I know.

ARK and klockwerk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.