Pink Floyd Immersion Sets- why so expensive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jam757, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

They’re out of print now, right?

I bought both the DSOTM and WYWH sets earlier this year for approx. $140 each and was relatively happy with that. If you keep an eye out, you can generally find cheaper copies that pop up now and again on eBay. IIRC, even new these sets were north of $100, so if you want to vent, maybe direct it at all of our rock and roll icons who in their decrepitude are happy to gouge their long-time fans on ridiculously pricey super-ultra-deluxe box sets.

Dave Armstrong and Jam757 like this.
  2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It appears the U.K. sets are around $100 plus shipping. Anyone know if the DVDs will play on a US blu ray player- they’re listed as NTSC so I guess not.

3. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

They never went out of print. Not sure about "The Wall ", but other two set available in Amazon.ca for around $100 US. Sometimes go on sale like everything else.

4. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

NTSC = North American video standard.

paustin0816 and Jam757 like this.
  5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, I always confuse the two which I know is terrible. It would be so great if they issued each album in blu ray format but how long does one have to wait...

6. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Interesting. They’ve been OOP on amazon.com for a while. Wish I’d thought to check amazon.ca before getting them on eBay...

7. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

don't for
    That's absurd.....you get plenty more than the 2 cd set....I mean sure there's no marbles or scarves but what can you do...…...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I paid retail for mine when I bought them and they are worth every penny.

9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They only show as being sold by third party sellers. I do believe they are OOP

10. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

My local used record store has them for $50.

11. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

Not sure if we're looking at different listings, but for the ones I'm looking at on Amazon.ca, they're only being offered by other Marketplace sellers (as opposed to Amazon.ca itself). To me, that's a signifier that they're OOP.

Also, they mostly appear to be European imports as opposed to the North American versions.

tkl7 likes this.
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You have a lot of grips to vent. What a way to start the new year!

paustin0816 likes this.
  13. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

The Floyd’s might be down to their last couple of million pounds. Being a rock star is expensive.

14. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Not me, I might have used the coasters if they were plastic, as for the scarves no chance I'd wear them and end looking like a right ***.

DementedAvenger likes this.
  15. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

So, let me get this straight...
    You want the stuff cheaper because you have already bought all the other things by them?

Or should I understand it this way:
    You want the band to lower their price in respect to old fans?

Sorry, that’s simply not the way it works. Especially since the initial releases were limited efforts to begin with. And they were limited for a reason: the demand. It’s perfectly understandable they don’t want an endless stream of boxed sets sitting on the shelves for years.

And it’s NOT the band’s responsibility to control the market of used items.

By the way, there are several options if you can’t afford it: the sorround mixes are available on the SACD’s and the Early Years boxed set is available in parts.

Seriously, this is a prime example of a first world problem. Get over yourself.

ARK, Easy-E, paustin0816 and 2 others like this.
  16. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

The only one out of print is "The Division Bell" box set which sometimes goes for ridiculous prices.

17. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

One day I was asked to sing Money with a bunch of students from a music school concert. I wore the scarf for that ocasion.

18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

No, the immersion sets are out of print.

PhantomStranger and Bill Mac like this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

As far as I know all of the Pink Floyd Immersion sets are OOP. If you can show where the DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall Immersion sets are being sold new by companies such as Music Direct, Elusive Sound, Importcds and others at list price please do so. I'm sure many in this thread that do not have the sets would like to buy them.

20. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Maybe I used the wrong words. They are no longer produced but if you visit Ebay you will see that there are still companies with new boxes in stock except for the division bell.
    pink floyd immersion | eBay
    pink floyd immersion | eBay

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Yeah, these aren't something that are going to be continually made, nothing is any more, but with the ephemera that goes with them they have to be 1 run, all you would see instores and online is unsold stock which has probably been moved around a few times, or from resellers.

22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I bought the earlier McCartney box sets for under $75. RRS is $170 on Amazon.
    No, thanks.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  23. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

It’s a sad road they are going down and it’s because of the illegal downloading of the previous decade that they feel the only way they can really make money is by making boxes that are harder to copy.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  24. Harder to copy but not impossible - we still see bootlegs of some of these sets. If you make things cheaper you do reduce your per item profit but you might sell many thousand more.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  25. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

What are the chances that the extra material (demos, early mix, live material, houseold objectos etc) of these 3 boxes having a new release in the near future?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.