Pink Floyd Immersion Sets- why so expensive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jam757, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

That's why they add coasters and marbles, to annoy the bootleggers.

formu_la and audiomixer like this.
  2. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

You had the option to buy them when they first came out. It was actually stated that they were limited editions in the advertising at the time.
    When they are no longer on sale officially, that scenario is called "Out Of Print". It means that anybody who has a copy can set their own price if they decide to sell it.

3. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

You can still find them at retail price. I just shared a link to Ebay Germany.

4. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

the RRS box was at $83 for several days in the past week. This box is stuffed full of content. If you don't want it, don't buy it, I don't care either way. But don't misrepresent whats in the box just because you don't want to spring for it.

5. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

I think they annoyed the fans buying the boxes more. Why in the F would I want over priced scarves and marbles? "Ohh marbles and scaves!!!---take THAT bootleggers. HaHA!!"

savemenow likes this.
  6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Thanks so much for your approval.

chaz and Bill Mac like this.
  7. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

The marbles don't bother me. But it's an easy trick to make it more difficult to make copies. If you take the most recent Bowie box sets, you can get quite decent looking Chinese versions for 30 Euro. But I don't expect a bootlegger will do all the work assembling a box with scarves, coasters, marbles etc.

Jam757 and formu_la like this.
  8. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

EMI is no more. That is why these sets are out of print.

9. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok, don't laugh, so I just said screw it and got a NM condition DSOTM Immersion set for $77 off of Offer Up. I hope it's the real deal! Also pulled the trigger on a Discogs WYWH Immersion set (without the scarf!) for $100. I'm also buying an Oppo-93 player for $220 to complete my major blu ray player upgrade. The negative reviews on the Sony x700 and x800 scared me off so Oppo it is. I've actually always had good experiences with Sony but it appears they're slipping a bit. I currently have a Sony blu ray about 5-6 years old and never had an issue with it, plays beautifully. I am very much looking forward to the Oppo though. After thinking about it more and reviewing all of the extra's I decided these were somewhat "essential" for me. Figure I can always sell them if I'm not overly impressed anyway.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think you'll be very glad that you bought the DSOTM and WYWH Immersion sets. Choosing the Oppo over Sony is another excellent choice IMO. I owned a number of mid priced Sony CD, DVD and SACD players years ago. They all stopped reading discs after a year or two and I just threw them out. Dealing with Sony's service at the time was an ordeal so it wasn't worth the cost of out of warranty repairs. I've had very few issues with the many Oppo players over the years. When I did Oppo's service was incredible. The total opposite of the service (lack of :(!) from Sony.

coffeetime, drum_cas and Jam757 like this.
  11. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Agreed. Oppo is great, miles better than Sony. And the BDP-93 will basically play all formats as well. Shame Oppo are closing up shop, they'll be missed. They filled a huge mid-tier range with affordable, quality components that sounded good too.

drum_cas, Jam757 and Bill Mac like this.
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

If the current sellers of sealed and new boxes run out then there is a strong chance of reissue. If the new old stock sticks around for another few years - or 5 years, then it gets more unlikely. Because 10 years is too long for an item like this to sell out (in the eyes of a major label).

It seems from what everyone is saying, the sets have gone OOP but the old stock has not yet sold out.

ARK and Luisboa like this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I believe the sealed Immersion sets being sold on places like eBay aren't "new sold stock". But they are sets that people bought and never opened with the intention of reselling them when the sets go OOP. So in my opinion if the new sets being sold now run out or not it has no bearing on whether or not the sets are ever reissued.

klockwerk likes this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You would have no way of knowing for sure of the origins of each and every set.

The labels could care less (other than counterfeits) why they are still being sold new, only that they are in fact being sold as new. Of course they would like to fill a market with VERY in demand set, if they were sure it was in demand. That's called marketing 101.

Why would they not gauge they market (consider) for a reissue that they control the copyright on? Sorry Bill, wrong on this one.

15. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

They are not really selling on Ebay anyway, they are listed. I see the same ones around for a long time. So you are right, there is not much profit in reissueing them. If they want to make money they'd better go for an Animals box.

Wes_in_va likes this.
  16. RocksOff87

RocksOff87 Forum Resident

I swear I saw the DSOTM Immersion in my local Barnes and Noble years ago for $80 and it literally just sat there on the shelf for ages...wish I would've gone for it!

17. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I have the DSOTM and Wall boxes, bought new when they were released, primarily for the previously unreleased tracks. Therefore I skipped WYWH because all I needed was on the Experience version.
    Still it feels incomplete. Those things look great and WYWH might be the best when it comes down to artwork. So I'll probably give in eventually, should I encounter one at a good price...

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The rest of the mid-70s live material did not convince you that you needed WYWH? What material is on the Experience version that convinced you no WYWH Immersion needed?

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You seem so sure that all the new DSOTM and WYWH Immersion sets are as you refer to as "new old stock" please show that is fact.

I tend to think whomever took over EMI is not watching eBay, Amazon and other sites to see if people are selling sealed Immersion box sets to gauge whether they will reissue them.

My earlier post was my opinion in reference to your earlier post. Essentially that we had a difference of opinion. I never posted you were wrong and that I was right. It was just my opinion as I posted "I believe" and "in my opinion". You posted "Sorry Bill, wrong on this one". So why not show some actual factual information showing I'm wrong (as you say) and that you are right.

So lets see actual proof that those selling the new Immersion sets got them from a warehouse of EMI "old new stock". Also maybe your contacts at whomever took over EMI can confirm they have staff watching eBay, Amazon and other sites selling their "new old stock" to gauge whether they will reissue the Immersion sets. If it's marketing "101" there should be plenty of factual data you can post here to educate us all ;).

C'mon man inquiring minds want the facts from a fellow member so sure of this ;). If you have no factual data of this then your post is just opinion as is mine. Which in essence shows no proof that I'm wrong and that you're right. With that I have no issue at all if my opinions are proven wrong. Just that I need a bit more than just your "opinion" saying that "Sorry Bill, wrong on this one" :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    savemenow and zinan like this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I don't know where this stock comes from or even if it is legit product, but rather made in Russia with "Made in China" stickers on it.

The only point worth noting is that labels do look at what is out there, and at what price is being asked in order to decide if a repress is in the cards. If new sets are still being offered then well what does that tell you?

There was a comment a couple of months ago in another thread that someone made to me, that the prices being fetched for an OOP LP has no influence on its chance of reissue. I let it go and did not reply that I know for a fact it can and has influenced the possibility of reissue.

Why would demand mean nothing? Have you ever heard of the phrase "by popular demand". It's not for nothing that someone came up with this phrase.

Yet you say, naw still sealed copies for sale really means nothing in the big picture.

If availability of an item at retail has no influence then what does? What does Bill?

There are a couple of other (good) reasons that the Immersion sets are not likely to get repressed anytime soon or at all. But I'll leavr those reasons for follow up posts if I even bother.

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

So no factual data at all to back up your opinion. I'd appreciate it in the future if you didn't post "Sorry Bill, wrong on this one" unless you can prove it. Also please don't put words in my mouth. I never posted that "Yet you say, naw still sealed copies for sale really means nothing in the big picture". In my opinion it just means that some people held on to or found sealed Immersion sets to sell hopefully for a profit.

The bulk of your above post is you posting your opinion and not actual facts. Essentially trying to bolster your opinions from earlier posts. It's not working in my opinion.
    I'll look forward to those posts. Will they be based on factual information or just your opinion?

savemenow likes this.
  22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I asked you one question- and you could or will not answer it.

But yes, I'm experienced in reissues and record marketing with a few labels on my resume. But I not going to boast about it and name companies. But you've bought their releases I did notice.

23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

If you'll pay it, we'll charge it.

24. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Simple: all unreleased audio is on the Experience version as well.

25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Have a couple of those immersion boxes. Very expensive as is any of the Floyd reissues albeit vinyl, cds or immersion sets.

Bought the 2011 albums box as well. As far as the reissued vinyl I had to take my time to buy only a few, had to wait till the prices go down. It seems the prices never go down I wait and watch than I'll pounce. The immersion sets are ridiculously priced because maybe they're considered a collectors item.

klockwerk and Christopher B like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.