Pink Floyd - Making sense of the Zabriskie Point sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by christian42, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Both might be the same recording but different mixes. The Immersion track only has the piano but the Early Years version contains an extra bass guitar.

Natural E likes this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Nope, it's 'Come In Number 51, Your Time Is Up'. You confuse this with the explosion scene in the film.

3. Twittering Machine

Twittering Machine Forum Resident

Explosion is definitely Eugene-ish. It starts in a similar way and settles slightly before Nick rolls round the kit and Roger screams and 'off we go'. It's surely meant to be a version of Eugene, in my opinion. I love it, love Dave's Hendrix-ish guitar. One of highlights of the box for me. I can see why you couldn't do two songs so alike live (or studio), but I almost wish this had been the default version of Eugene live.

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

My notes:
    Explosion: a "Eugene" in a major key! And with the melody of "Rise and Shine" included. What could go wrong? Excellent.

5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

There's the one show (9 Mar 69?) where they do Careful and Beset By Creatures of the Deep (out of Green Is the Colour). Oh, for a time machine....

Twittering Machine likes this.
  6. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

That seems amazing - have you more information, please?

7. RE: The two demos of Rick's "Us and Them"...

My wife, who barely knows Dark Side much beyond "Money" probably... ...she absolutely LOVES these piano versions of "Us and Them" -- and has commented on them practically every time I've had them on.

Rne and andrewskyDE like this.
  8. anth67

Setlist for Southampton University student union, 9 May 1969:
    Astronomy Domine, Careful With That Axe, Interstellar Overdrive (great one!), Green Is the Colour > Beset By Creatures, A Saucerful of Secrets

This is just before the BBC Night Ride session on 5/12, so Green > Beset sounds similar to that. Not sure how much we're supposed to say (or not) about such things, but if you search places like youtube you'll likely be able to hear a sample.

Outside The Wall likes this.
  9. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Explosion at the beginning part is a dead ringer for Amon Duul 2 in their Yeti suite ,tho there is no way they could have heard it back then.

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

'Careful With That Axe, Eugene' and 'Beset By Creatures Of The Deep' actually are one and the same track.
    'Eugene' (and also 'Green' and other older Floyd songs) were just re-named for the Man/Journey tour programme the band did in 1969. 'Green Is The Colour' became 'The Beginning' for the Journey set.
    The band kept performing both tracks combined for a while (till 1971, I think) but they were re-named back to their original titles.

11. anth67

Basically, yes. But the early Beset versions, at least, have a slightly different bassline. Careful is merely an octave back 'n forth on the same note (lo-hi, lo-hi). Beset goes from one note to a different lower note.

For this reason, I think it's actually inaccurate that Beset is titled "Careful With That Axe Eugene" for the Night Ride session on the Early Years box. Even if it's totally intended to occupy the same slot, and eventually it truly was Green > Careful that they standardly performed.

Outside The Wall and andrewskyDE like this.
  12. Outside The Wall

Thanks for that :)

13. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident Thread Starter

No, I was talking about the outtake "Explosion" on the Early Years box set, which is in a major key. Is "Come in Number 51" also in a major key? I remember it as being in a minor key, but I may be mistaken.

14. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Both "Come In Number 51" and "Explosion" was recorded for the same scene (the ending explosion scene). The difference was "51" was in E minor and "Explosion" was in E major. As per Antonioni's request, it was a rewrite of "Careful With That Axe" which was in D minor.

Outside The Wall and andrewskyDE like this.
  15. christian42

Thank you for the confirmation.

soniclovenoize likes this.
  16. Outside The Wall

Re: Dramatisation CD2: The Man and The Journey

I hadn't realised until now how "Quicksilver" on More was developed to become "Sleeping", and then you can hear how further development diverted it to becoming "Love Scene 1"/"Love Scene 2" on Deviation CD2.

17. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

"Love Scene Version 1" on Early Years is new, isn't it?

Instrumentation wise, it matches "Love Scene 1" on ATZPOV - but musically, the melody doesn't match at all.

18. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

This Zabriskie material needs it's own boxed set.

19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Beautiful.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  20. christian42

My remembrance is that "Love Scene Version 1" from Early Years corresponds to "Love Scene 3" on ATZPOV. I don't have the latter available, so maybe someone else could check?

21. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Love Scene 3 is a full-band improv, though - it's not just meandering Farfisa like the Early Years "Version 1" is. The Early Years track sounds like an alternate take of what is called "Version 1" on ATZPOV.

22. Outside The Wall

As far as I can make out:
    - Love Scene Version 2 (Early Years) is an edit of Love Scene 1 (ATZPOV);
    - Love Scene Version 1 (Early Years) doesn't seem to match up with any of the 'unofficial' 'Love Scene' tracks.
    So, I'm beginning to think that Love Scene Version 1 (Early Years) should be considered as "new" (previously unknown)

23. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

What's your problem with Antonioni?

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My mistake, sorry

25. anth67

He owed me money.

marmalade166 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.