Pink Floyd new song - “Hey Hey Rise Up”*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan Driscoll, Apr 7, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Guess it'd be cheaper on Amazon but the CD cost more. Probably still cheaper then PF.com.

Hey Hey Rise Up https://a.co/d/6hiTrfU

EDIT: I stand corrected .. CD is cheaper

2. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

Price there is good (6.98), but why an October release date???

D-rock likes this.
  3. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

It is all too predictable, sadly.

4. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Maybe it's a pre-order to see how many they need to produce and they want to give it time for people to order.

5. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

The release dates for this vary by country, and the US is getting it later than others.

6. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Mine will be here this coming Friday (15th) £5.99 amazon.uk. Not too fussed about the vocal but Gilmour's guitar solo isn't too bad.

JulesRules and D-rock like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

More interested in the reworked song from The Division Bell.

8. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Maybe the new version doesn't make you instantly fall asleep as soon as it starts.

Choba b CCCP and kt66brooklyn like this.
  9. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

You say that like it’s a bad thing. Sometimes I love music that can put me to sleep (RIP Harold Budd).

marc with a c and kt66brooklyn like this.
  10. Starship73

Starship73 Forum Resident

My CD has been dispatched by Amazon, but is due to arrive on Friday via UK Royal Mail. I guess it's possible it will arrive early. No-one has actually heard the new version of A Great Day For Freedom yet right?

11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Checked my orders, also got the Royal Mail arriving Friday notification too.

12. Alan Driscoll

Alan Driscoll Forum Resident Thread Starter

A Great Day For Freedom 2022 is out at midnight on streaming services wherever you are. I like the new version a lot. Less stately and more pained/emotive with Rick's synths a lot higher in the mix. Seems very organically inspired much like the A-side.

D-rock, kt66brooklyn and GoodKitty like this.
  13. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

Listening to the remix now and I love it different lyrics worth every penny.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Put the CD and the DB version on in the background as I was pottering about, can't say I noticed much difference. I'll have a proper listen later.

15. Different lyrics??!!

Choba b CCCP, Mrmojo and JulesRules like this.
  16. Premiers tomorrow (Fri) — with a new video — at Noon Central, if my read of the time is right…

Jerry Horne likes this.
  17. SteveMaturin

SteveMaturin Forum Resident

I had forgotten this was out this week and was mystified by what the 2 packages were from Rough Trade this morning. Can’t remember the last time I got an order early.

The 7” vinyl is lovely and has a custom inner sleeve in the colours of the Ukraine flag.

The B Side version of Great Day for Freedom is interesting. Lyrics are unchanged so far as I can tell. The string section on the original seems to have disappeared and there are (I think)more keyboards or at least keyboards that sound like keyboards. The double tracking of David Gilmour’s vocals is also much less bombastic. It is stripped back and sounds more like a band than the original.

It is marked as 4 minutes 7 seconds on the record and I think that is pretty much the same length as on The Division Bell.

Apart from the backing vocalists, the only musicians credited for the B Side are Gilmour, Mason & Wright.

There’s no inner sleeve for the CD but the outer sleeves look very similar.

Glad I got these.

croquetlawns, omikron, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  18. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I wonder if they stripped away any contributions fron Carin. It’s not like it’s a rost relationship.

JulesRules and Mrmojo like this.
  19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I don't see any indication that this rehearsal of the song is the same as the B-side of the single. The description says "For this limited edition release, David Gilmour revisited The Division Bell track ‘A Great Day For Freedom’, he has reworked the song using the original tapes" which would indicate to me it's the original album tapes, not any kind of live recordings.

omikron, D-rock and Mrmojo like this.
  20. SteveMaturin

SteveMaturin Forum Resident

The music on the single is definitely a pared back remix of the original album version.

RockAddict, Deek57, Mrmojo and 2 others like this.
  21. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

That's kind of what I figured. I would imagine they are looking into a Division Bell remix like Momentary Lapse. I realize the narrative around those concepts is/would be different (as far as WHY they would do it)

Mrmojo likes this.
  22. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

This is a premier on YouTube it’s on the The Later Yesrx Box set 2019

fishcane and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Finally! A physical issue.

D-rock likes this.
  24. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Apart from tambourine, the new version of AGDFF is not very radical.

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  25. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

The new version of Freedom has a mix of David’s 1993/4 vocals along with new vocals. It’s kind of jarring when you hear the newer vocal take up the rest of a verse.

Much less of Kamen’s orchestrations during the end of the final verse.

Guitar solo seems to be the same arrangement, but there are slight timing differences (and a few different finger/pick harmonics that he’s so good at doing). I have a feeling it’s mostly the original 1993/4 guitar track but with some modern playing mixed in.