Pink Floyd remixing "The Wall"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BGLeduc, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I personally don't care for a reproduction of a band playing in front of me. I care about listening to music. Do you mind elements in songs that a band could not reproduce in a live concert? Like the middle part of Bohemian Rhapsody? Or samples (Pink Floyd's music is full of it)?

Listening to a record or CD is not like listening to a live concert, so why should the musicians be in front of me and not around me?

Some people like mono, some stereo, others surround. So what?

I would love a good surround mix of The Wall, but after what happened (or didn't happen) to WYWH I won't get my hopes up.

St. Troy likes this.
  2. genesisfan

genesisfan Forum Resident

DVD-A or SACD only would sucks, I mean, if the release is 2 SACD or 1 DVD-A. No footage, no documentaries, no extras? no thanks!

The wall Live concert film was compiled several years ago, complete with audio from the multitrack tapes. I think last year there were posted some reports that talked about compiling new footage found. So I think it's about time we'll see the Wall Live DVD

3. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I have the MFSL and it is good.

I just LOVE waiting years for all these supposed hi rez releases to come out. I will be deaf by the time they are released.

At least I am sure I have some more King Crimson to look forward to. I am almost positive I will get Lark's Tongues before I die.

Almost.

4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They pretty much did recreate the samples live, in the early days, at least.

I will buy this if it is 5.1 or surround, or if it has the unreleased material. I think the Wall is generally weaker than the albums that preceeded it, though, and would prefer a 5.1 WYWH, Animals, AHM or Meddle.

5. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Stereo, while much better than mono, doesn’t come close to presenting a realistic 3 dimensional audio image. It’s like saying a 2D photograph accurately represents what we see in front of us when it actually has little to no depth. Binaural is pretty darn good for 2 channel, but is way to particular in recording and playback. A surround mix, if done properly, is a much more realistic presentation of the “band in front of you.” And in Pink Floyd’s case, they clearly want some sounds coming from all around you. There are moments on some of the 2channel releases in which they played with phasing to throw a sound image much further to the side than is realistic for a band playing in front of you. The surround mix on the “DSOTM” SACD is a very enjoyable mix and I look forward to “The Wall” being treated similarly. Hopefully the stereo mix can also achieve greater resolution without the addition of compression.

6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Which reminds me, when I saw Pink Floyd live they used a lot of surround effects (discret sound from every direction). So a realistic reproduction of that band playing in front of you would need more than 2 speakers. :shh:

7. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

I will concede that a 5.1 mix can more easily present a 3d image. However your blanket statement that stereo doesn't come close isn't true. A good stereo with a good recording can be quite remarkable in this aspect.

8. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'll bet you're right. That's gotta be why they're doing this 'cause it just doesn't seem necessary to me.

10. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

That sounds funny on a forum where the norm is to spend THOUSANDS of dollars on teeny wires and cables...thousands more on turntables and so on....but one more bit of music is pushing it over the top for sure..!;)

St. Troy likes this.
  11. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

Its probably a few things at once... doing a proper high res/synced transfer of the multis, I bet a 5.1 mix of some sort, and perhaps it is part of a larger campaign to begin in a next few years.

12. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

How about incorporating the "Wall demos" bootleg? :)

13. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Larger campaign? I`m for it but I have no patience waiting for new releases.I only want instant career spanning boxsets of unreleased outtakes,live,demos,and remixes!Ha Ha!:laugh:

14. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

Hopefull this will not sound as bad as the 2004 Final Cut remaster with "When The Tigers Broke Free". The only Floyd release that leaves a lot to be desired in the sonic department.
    Guthrie remastered it.

15. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

Yes, I was going to mention that too. For much of their career Pink Floyd performed live in Quadraphonic. There was a guy at the soundboard with a joystick-like apparatus who would bounce stuff around the auditorium.

16. Sign me up for this please!

17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I'm in too! :righton:

18. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

sounds like a good idea to me ! maybe like the Kiss lite box released a few years ago!:cheers:

19. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Same here! :righton:
    I don´t think they will do new stereo mix, no point, it´s perfect.
    New 5.1 mix and the original stereo mix remastered make sense, just like DSOTM sacd.

20. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

sign me up for a 5.1 re-mix but please not a conservative extended stereo Guthrie mix get Steven Wilson in !!

St. Troy likes this.
  21. genesisfan

You said it!

That's the reason why I'd love a GREAT RELEASE (see my previous post), rather than an average or crap one. I don't think James Guthrie will do a RADICALLY DIFERENT mixing aproach this time, considering he originally mixed The Wall. So I don't think we'd blow away by listening to a new stereo and 5.1 mix. It would be probably "I heard a bit different instruments placing, I heard those sound effects a bit more separated, etc" everything would be A BIT different, here and there

22. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Oooooh, can you tell me more? I've loved the live versions of this song as the outro solo is always amazing, so is the released version on The Wall heavily edited?

(apologies, I love Pink Floyd, but don't know an awful lot beyond the music and band members)

23. genesisfan

I think the extra solo is another minute at the end. I read his post and that's what he wrote.

As other have posted, around 20 min of music were cut at the last time when they were ready to press the LP. That include 1 minute of Comfortably Numb

24. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Maybe this is for the Roger Waters Broadway version of The Wall. He's said he wants to make a kinder, gentler version for the stage like what Townshend did for Tommy. Waters may want a happy ending for Pink this time. :sigh:

25. genesisfan

I don't think it would work. For a live presentation, perhaps, but definitely not for a new CD version.

I think they want to recreate the Wall as originally intended. I hope so, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

And the long-time rumored and awaited Wall Live DVD has been prepared several times through the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.