Pink Floyd remixing "The Wall"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BGLeduc, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I'll take (again :D) the wonderful Vernon Fitch's Comfortably Numb: A History Of The Wall

(page 244)

"Lamden also edited The Wall concert videos that were shot at Earls Court in August 1980. These videos were sent to Lamden in Los Angeles for editing right after the concerts, along with soundboard audio recordings of the shows. Explaining the state of the recordings, Lamden said "althought there was a line cut of the show, 75 percent of it was either out of sync, late getting to the correct shots in time, or missing the action completely". Despite the problems, Lamden edited togheter a complete two-hour Wall live video, compiled from all the videos he received. Asked about this live Wall video in 2004, Lamden stated, "the video is broadcast quality, and the audio feed, straight from James Guthrie's board, is excellent"

In 2003, all the Wall fims in Roger Waters' possesion were documented and archived for Waters by Nick Thompson, a film editior who worked with Waters on his solo live shows. When asked, in August 2004, if there were any plans to release the live Wall films, Waters said, "that could happen. I've been looking at some of the material over the last couple of weeks. It finally appeared out of the midsts of time from a mixing and editing suite in Los Angeles and it doesn't look bad. I think it's quite interesting and historical document, so yeah, I think it will definitely become available at some point quite soon"

Also I remember some threads or posts on this forum (in 2009 I think) saying there were some new footage being edited.

Come on Roger, we're still waiting! :goodie:

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

The original already had anonymous Studio musicians ie Michael Kamen, Bob Ezrin, Snowy White a host of Backing singers and who can name any of the Islington Green School they were pretty anonymous and I think Rick Wright was feeling a bit anonymous at that time as well!! :D

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Perhaps remixing it to make a soundtrack for Rog to lipsynch to this fall?

4. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

If the waveforms are squashed to ****, I'll find it hard to actually care about this, even if it does have 22+ minutes of music added.

5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`m a bit concerned about that also.I can see the press release:Mellow out with some Floyd for the Ipod generation.:sigh:
    I hope The Wall gets a run in theaters.

6. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

My original sounds really good!! Those tapes are really old now so I couldn't imagine any improvements could be made.

Why fix something that isn't broken?

They must be capitalizing on the recent success on vinyl. They should remaster EVERYTHING and do a box set!!!!

7. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

This is what Roger told me when I interviewed him in 2008:

Will you consider releasing music from the vaults like the 1973 BBC broadcast?

"I think it's all out there on bootlegs. I'm not that interested in it. I have started work on the original Wall shows. We already mixed the music and it came out but I own all the film. We did do a multi-camera shoot on videotape back in 1980. We also have some 35-millimeter footage as well. I'm looking at all that at the moment."

The story fans heard was that the footage was shot but unusable.

"It's not unusable. It's not great but it's not unusable. I will find my way through it and make something that is very watch-able, I hope. We'll see."

http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/rocky_mountain_music/2008/04/read_the_complete_roger_waters.html

andrewskyDE likes this.
  8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Thanks so much for the article

I really hope Roger won't pass the 30th anniversary of The Wall Live tour.
    I'm pretty sure if we made a poll in here (or any other forum) fans would prefer a Pink Floyd Live Wall 1980-81 DVD rather than a Roger Waters Live Wall 2010 :agree:

9. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I personally would prefer some of the pre-Wall years to be highlighted and get a release like a boxset of a soundboard concert (or as near too) of a gig from each tour!!

10. johnnyv

johnnyv Forum Resident

The interview with Gilmour that I read quoted him as saying he recorded multiple takes of that solo then sat in the studio playing each one with a notepad and "ticked-off" the measures of each one noting the parts he liked best, then they "simply flipped the faders up and down on the preferred take" until it became the version that we have on the finished product of the album. I don't think at that point in history they were allowing an engineer to make those creative decisions. It's doubtful that David Gilmour wouldn't have final say as to what his solo was going to be. Now, on the "is there anybody out there" live version Guthrie did say that he "flew in" certain solos and parts from the various performances to get the "best" version, but that's years after the original release and it's possible they weren't quite so anal about it.

11. comes_a_time

comes_a_time Forum Resident

It would be wonderful to hear those alternate takes on the Comfortably Numb solo.

Sorry, I'm dreaming out loud :D

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You would then have people on forums like this one and other fanatical groups arguing that they used the wrong take on the final mix of the album. And should have done it differently. Better that they keep them locked up forever.

13. johnnyv

johnnyv Forum Resident

Very true, besides, it's a good bet those solo tracks don't even exist anymore anyway when you consider that they recorded this album using two 24 track machines "slaved" together to give them 48 tracks...if they needed that many tracks they probably didn't have any "empty" tracks left over when all was said and done. I was reading another interview with Bob Ezrin talking about the process they went through in the recording and there was one point when his "idea" required them to actually dump stuff from one machine to the other (much like the Beatles had to do in the days of 4 track) and by doing so some of the work that had already been done was actually going to be erased from the original machine. The group was freaking out that they would lose the hours (weeks probably) of work they had already completed, but in the end Ezrin convinced them that (whatever it was) would work and they did it, holding their breath when they hit the record button. As it turns out, Ezrin's "idea" worked, but that also leads to the answer as to why there is an opinion that the original album is kind of "muddy". Some of the muddiness on the album was probably because the original tracks of some of the work were erased during this process and thus some of the quality was sacrificed. At any rate, having seen the original Wall concert at Nassau Colliseum in 1980, I can't wait to see Roger's show next week here in Tampa.

14. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

If anyone in the industry actually followed your logic (or lack thereof), nothing would ever be remastered.

I wouldn't mind a clean remix. The Wall is filled with so many layered tracks that it would be fascinating to hear some of the elements moved around and perhaps exposed a bit more. Plus, it would be nice to have a decent copy where the volume isn't absurdly low.

15. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I'm in for the massive MEGA-SUPER-DUPER RTI MADE WHITE VINYL 3-4LP/3CD[MINI-LP]/2DVD/GIANT ART BOOK, cost-half-your-paycheck BOX! don't forget the bonus 12" picture disc of Another Brick In The Wall (all parts) b/w one of the restored tracks. sweeeeeet!

16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I think THE WALL would have made a decent single album; one of the most overrated records of the rock era. But I'd buy a 5.1 version in a heartbeat! :righton:

17. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

You are in an extreme minority on the first point. (go see the current tour to rectify your mistaken conclusion.)

You are in an extreme majority on the second. (go see the current tour to confirm your wisdom.)

:righton:

andrewskyDE likes this.
  18. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

I think they got the stereo mix right the first time around. While not my fave Floyd album by a very long shot musically, it's arguably the most sophisticated piece of work they ever put together from an audiophile perspective. Amazing sounds, effects, segues, etc.

19. Dark_Globe

Dark_Globe New Member

I'm not looking at this as fixing something that's not broken, but more of an alternative perspective of the story. Besides, if I don't like it, it's not like I can't go back to the original.

20. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Crikey, all Jim does is fiddle with this stuff.
    Why ?

21. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

Your] reading into my last statement too much.

What I am saying is that the original mixes, and pressings are fantastic. Master tapes DO age, so why fix something that is not necessarily broken?

Old master tapes still get used all the time for remastered albums (obviously), and with the right engineer will sound great. They hit a home run the fist time around, so why fix it?

Don't be that guy that tries to insult on a freaking website.

22. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

The Wall is a muddy recording? Now I've read everything!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Next you'll be asked to fill in your equipment profile - so we know why The Wall sounds muddy to you.

:agree:

andrewskyDE likes this.
  24. johnnyv

johnnyv Forum Resident

LOL, luckily, I wasn't the first one to mention that.

25. emarkay

emarkay New Member

Well, what's the latest info on this. When "pc-based mixer-kids" start doing "upmixes" that sound as good as the original in 4 channels, it's time to get the labels to consider us "old fogeys". Remember, we don't spend $0.99 a pop on a crappy MP3, but will spend $40 for a SACD/DVD-A/BDA, (with DVD-V DD/DTS for mobile use...), and then will take the time to see what else is new in the catalogue.

Ahem, this IS where we came in...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.