Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

[​IMG]

rnranimal and Frozensoda like this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yeah, they better should do this for next year's RSD.

3. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

None of it was true. In case of Arnold it is other way around

4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I just made an eBay offer for $45 w free shipping. Think I'll get it? Am I a chump? The regular mono release come out like what, tomorrow? :help:

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Topic for another thread, but I respectfully disagree. I think it was less rare back in the mid 1970's . A niche, none the less, but a bigger niche than today. At least with the crowd that I hung out with. We bought what we could afford, but was aware of the better stuff out there. You didn't buy your equipment at the click of the mouse, you visited an audio-video store and had a chance to hear and see the models for sale. Listen to something through real speakers, not a teeny tiny cell phone. Gee, there were even commercials on prime time television for blank cassettes!

Now, back to the Floyd.....

rontoon, eflatminor and NunoBento like this.
  6. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

maybe it's been taken down, I didn't know it was unofficial. I'll have to check my pressing out again.

7. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Well said. For some, being a flipper is a profession and a way to make up a living. To a certain extent, this is a well planned and executed business, cashing on opportunity, product demand and scarcity. You still have the choice as a consummer to take or refuse their pricing offers.

My only regret is that RSD unfortunately and indirectly encourage flippers and others fom the same kind... As they advertize on their site, “one day they will be sufficient quantity for everyone” or something along this line.

marblesmike likes this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I used the new artwork for my needledrop.
    Also did some editing on the pic by removing the golden hype sticker. You guys can take it if you like.

[​IMG]

9. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

No and yes. And careful what you post! I just bid $46....sorry. ;)

izgoblin and Kossoff is God like this.
  10. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I’d like a digital release of the mono Piper that actually sounds good. At least as good as that album is capable of sounding, obviously.

Lownote30, scobb and rnranimal like this.
  11. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

How is that possible?

Norco74 likes this.
  12. Mugrug12

Gotta love that 5.1 surround triple X 3D mono soundstage lol

jlf and uzn007 like this.
  13. dkmonroe

Well mixed, well mastered mono recordings sound great. Just because there's no stereo illusion doesn't mean that there's no soundstage and no perception of depth.

If you just don't like mono, you're probably never going to appreciate it though.

14. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I prefer Piper in stereo. It fits the Psychedelic nature of the album better for me.

15. Mugrug12

The offer was quickly declined hours ago haha. You seem to have it down though, find us a pair would ya? A NICE PAIR

16. Mugrug12

I love mono and a good portion of my records are mono. But I always thought soundstage was short for "stereo soundstage" as in the location of sounds spread between the channels and the middle.

17. dkmonroe

Not to try to dictate taste to anyone, but when psychedelia was in full bloom, mono was king, at least for pop music. Therefore I find it peculiar that people these days so often claim that the stereo version is the "more psychedelic" option.

psychedelicpiper, AlexC and rontoon like this.
  18. dkmonroe

I don't know that there's hard and fast definition of "soundstage" but I would think that it refers to the perception of depth and space within any recording, not just stereo.

GreenFuz, AlienRendel and Mugrug12 like this.
  19. uzn007

I never said they didn't.

Again I ask, how is that possible?

Why are you making this ridiculous assumption? I'm just asking how it's possible for a single audio source to create the perception of depth. It seems physically impossible.

20. uzn007

Yeah, he gets Piper, you get Saucerful.

21. Mugrug12

Story of my life, brother

uzn007 likes this.
  22. dkmonroe

Have you ever heard a mono recording that you enjoyed? If you have, can you really say that you can perceive no depth in the recording because it's mono?

I really don't see how you can say you have heard a quality, great sounding recording in which you perceive absolutely no depth of sound. Even one guy playing an acoustic guitar in a mono mix should be able to make you perceive depth in the sound.

If you want a diagram on how it happens, I can't do that for you. Maybe someone else can.

psychedelicpiper likes this.
  23. uzn007

Yes. Yes I have.

Yes. Yes I can.

Perhaps you're using the word "depth" differently than I am, but I understand it (as with "soundstage") to indicate the apparent physical position of the instruments/voices in the recording.

As a human being with two ears, I perceive aural depth by (subconsciously) comparing the sounds entering each of my ears, in the same way that I perceive visual depth by (subconsciously) comparing the images entering each of my eyes.

So I'm at a loss to imagine how aural depth can be encoded into a single audio stream. The same sounds are entering each of my ears at the same time, so there is nothing to tell my brain "where" each individual instrument is supposed to be, other than dead center.

24. dkmonroe

Because not everything in the single audio stream is at the exact same volume. It's called "mixing."

25. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

It may be how different people hear recordings. For me, I can hear depth in a nicely mixed Mono recording, others may not be able to detect it as much but still enjoy Mono.

When The Beatles Mono LPs were rereleased, I could hear depth to the music, almost like they were mixing a musical "painting", where you could hear a background, middle and foreground. It depended on how it was mixed. I can also hear it in things like Buddy Holly's "String Sessions" music, where the lush strings have this depth, forming a background for Buddy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.