Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (25th Anniversary)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Mar 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I really liked this when it came out, but today "High Hopes" is the only song I can still listen to. The rest of it sounds even more lifeless, dull and emotionless than Chris Rea or Mark Knopfler at their worst. Just a vehicule to release some more David Gilmour guitar solos.

jimhb and Mr Day like this.
  2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Yep, these look like optimal to me so likely cut from digital.

3. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I thought that was the case with all the recent Pink Floyd remasters. Cut from hi-rez transfers from the analogue tapes. Not sure if it is all though.

4. Gordon Johnson

I'm not up to speed on the sources used for the [more recent] Floyd records so would love to know.

Are the US cuts analogue mastered?

5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

All the Floyd's were from digital remasters. :)
    The Hi-Rez used for the Division Bell LP's can be found in the 20th Box.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  6. Gordon Johnson

Just so long as I'm sure of the point, they were mastered from digital both US and EU?

I ask this for clarity as often we get digital edits and a transfer back to tape for some releases at the mastering stage, as you know.

7. c-eling

More than likely Gordon. Pretty sure the US received the same files Bernie used here.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  8. c-eling

Yes, Optimal did this one as well.
    As stated earlier in the thread this is just a re-press of the 2014
    After Sax passed away The Mastering Lab closed shop.
    Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

You say that like it's a bad thing! :laugh:

10. unclecuddles

unclecuddles Forum Resident

Personally, I love it more now than I did when it was released. I was in my early 20s when it came out, but I think it was pitched at the more mature fan. While I have got older, it hasn't really aged, whereas MLOR has, badly I think.

11. ronm

ronm audiofreak

How you feel today is how I felt when it came out.

mdekoning and Floyd Crazy like this.
  12. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

@LarsO , did you spin the records?

Hasn't anyone else experienced an off-centre issue with the first record, European pressing?

13. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Couldn't possibly disagree more with one statement than this. Different strokes, I guess.

Farthingscat likes this.
  14. NunoBento

Speaking of The Division Bell (which, for the ones who haven't read more than one of my posts, is my favourite album of all time), yesterday I finally found the time to hang on my wall my framed giant-sized poster, FULLY SIGNED by the band in 1994 (you can see the autographs if you zoom in). I'm over the moon.

[​IMG]

Nuno Bento on Instagram: “THE DIVISION WALL A lot of stories here. À esquerda, o megaposter de promoção ao Division Bell que foi utilizado nas estações de metro de…”

And of course, Algie is looking :D

15. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I’m moving house and extremely busy at the moment. We are actually still looking for a house so still quite some time until I can play it.

grandegi likes this.
  16. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Maybe it's due to how I experienced the '80s and how I've come to see them sonically, but while there's a distinct '80s stamp on Momentary Lapse, I wouldn't call it "dated" necessarily. There's stuff on there that you'd only hear on an '80s or revivalist record, but it's no more a dated touch than mellotron on a '60s record to my mind.

When I think "dated," it's more in terms of topical songs and things that literally cannot invoke anything beyond the time and subject for which they were written. By that yardstick (much as I love it as a body of work) the directly topical moments on The Final Cut about the Falklands War and Thatcher, et. al. are far more dated than any of the more abstract stuff on MLoR could ever be. Just my take though and, unfortunately, what it is that makes me love and hate the Waters influence. The guy was at his best when his musings on war and conflict could have been about any war or conflict.

pablo fanques likes this.
  17. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Nice! The Division Bell is such a great record, and it is always great to see others who agree. :cool:

18. NunoBento

Indeed! And it's getting its deserved recognition with time :)

Speaking of timelessness, unlike other titles from the Floyd catalogue, The Division Bell is actually one of the most timeless albums, both thematically and sonically.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  19. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Would have made a great EP.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  20. dmesserly

dmesserly Forum Resident

Can’t dislike any Floyd but I much prefer the full lineup. Waters edge is missing from the post RW albums.

I like several cuts from post RW albums but don’t really sit and listen to whole albums.

I grew up on 70s Floyd and prefer everything from Echoes to the Wall. That said, I've really been getting into pre-Gilmour stuff. Piper is fantastic and really like the singles.

Crimson Witch and Farthingscat like this.
  21. Finally decided to buy this pressing. I already have the 2014 re-issue, but Amazon France had it on sale at a little bit lower price, and I decided to get it.

My pressing is not off-center, thankfully.

So far, everything looks good, but I haven't completely played it through.

Floyd Crazy and grandegi like this.
  22. I have the first variant, and my records are not off-center.

23. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Thank you. I'll return my copy to Amazon.it asking for a replacement copy

24. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Only one album has the full lineup, A Saucerful of Secrets.

MitchLT, NunoBento, zinan and 2 others like this.
  25. NunoBento

And even there, how many tracks actually feature the full line up? Set The Controls and?

MitchLT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.