Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (25th Anniversary)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Mar 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

After receving the replacement copy (which does not have off-centre issues on record 1) and having played it through, I can say that this release is stunning: the mastering is amazing (I hadn't heard it before) and the vinyl is quiet. It sounds much better than the original CD I bought back in the day. In places, it was like listening to the album for the first time. Great work, indeed.
    Quite the opposite for me. When the album came out, I thought "High Hopes" was a great song and the rest was forgettable. But the album sort of grew up on me in the following years. I still can't stand part of it, but I think there are a bunch of good tunes there that flow very well together. A satisfying album, surprisingly good for a thirty-year old band.

AnalogJ and Floyd Crazy like this.
  2. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

The package is the same as the standard release, right? I mean except for the hype sticker?

3. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I didn’t really connect with The Division Bell when I first heard it, but now, it’s one of my favorite Pink Floyd albums. While I do still feel Animals is Pink Floyd at its’ best, The Division Bell proved, for me, that they still had much to offer with Waters out of the picture.

4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Simple Minds I’d say.

Anyway, really got into the Gilmour era lately since getting the Discovery set. This album is awesome and so is Lapse, which benefitted significantly from the Guthrie remaster.

5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I remember that!
    Wasn’t there also a Stones one?

Jerry Horne likes this.
  6. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Heard some of it during a massage recently. I then quickly fell asleep.

7. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Different inners too. It really is wonderful.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  8. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

The year after for the Voodoo Lounge tour.

9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I think it's an album that takes repeated listenings to appreciate. It's admittedly not as strong as the best of their albums, but it's solid. The charms are just smaller and take a more patient view to appreciate.

10. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Yes, the live versions are better. That applies to a lot of Pink Floyd songs, in my opinion, especially the Momentary tracks. Delicate Sound of Thunder and Pulse are just tremendous!

NunoBento likes this.
  11. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

The Final Cut is better than The Division Bell.............................. There I said it ;)

Macman007, Danderpet, Luisboa and 3 others like this.
  12. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

To be fair, that's pretty much like saying water is wet. :)

Macman007 and Adam Pajda like this.
  13. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Wrong thread, guys.

14. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I know you’re knocking the album, but some of my favorite records (Disintegration, Pulse) relax me to the point of falling asleep.

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  15. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I should have expounded on my post rather than short-line it, in whats clearly a contentious thread. I should know better than to do that. My thoughts that stand today, is that I like the album more than a little, but to my surprise at the time, and still to this day, I find I enjoy AMLOR more. I should also state that I was more than impressed when I realized TDB was on. The massage was all the better for it.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  16. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Did your replacement have the same numbers? I am still some time from being able to play it but curious.

17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I've noticed that my neighborhood Barnes And Noble has a few copies on hand.......I may stop in tomorrow. :thumbsup:

18. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Yes, same matrix codes (surprisingly)

LarsO likes this.
  19. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

There are a lot of people who would disagree though.

To be honest, there are a lot of people obviously who see the Final Cut as a solo Roger waters album in all but name.... It's also well known that a lot of people think the Final Cut is a bit of a whinge. There's also those that say "It's not a Floyd album, no Rick, no Floyd". True, the band were falling apart at that time, and Rick Wright was not involved in it in any way. It's for a lot of those reasons people don't like the Final Cut, they see it somehow as Waters poking the others with a big stick, and using Floyd as a vehicle of his own. This was only exacerbated later on by waters declaring that Floyd were a spent force, and then trying to block Gilmour et al from using the Pink Floyd name...

I love The Final Cut, I think it's most definitely a Floyd album, with 3 of them on it. It's no less a Floyd album than The Division Bell, in fact i'd go as far as to say it's more a Floyd album than The Division Bell. There is something severely lacking in my mind with AMLOR and TDB.... And that is Waters lyrics.

Anyway.... as you were... Sorry if this was the wrong thread :D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Acoustic Warrior and xfilian like this.
  20. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

Of course it is, thought that was obvious.

Macman007 and Jack like this.
  21. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Not obvious to me at all in the slightest.

22. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Agree

Macman007 likes this.
  23. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

I recently went through the entire catalog from the '65 demos through Endless River and was almost shocked at how much I loved Division Bell. That sent me scurrying to this thread and I can't express how great it feels to see the rest of the praise I've encountered here. I did Classic Rock Radio from '87-04 and while MLOR was a HUGE part of my tenure, it hasn't aged quite as well despite still getting regular airplay while The Division Bell, which we played at least 6 cuts from, seems to have disappeared altogether. It's a great album. I was fortunate to see the '94 tour from the 5th row at Yankee Stadium and it remains a highlight of my concert experiences (And I've seen A LOT). This thread has convinced me to grab the 25th anniversary package. Just don't tell the wife...

24. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Seeing this tour at Earls Court was so monumental for me.. I was there opening night when the stands collapsed and they had to cancel the gig. Also saw the next night and then the “make up” show the following week.. Such a damn shame that Gilmour shut it down after this album. I refuse to believe I will never see them again

25. Mahoney

Mahoney New Member

I really like the album. But I feel the second half of it is much better. I often start listening from "Coming Back to Life" to the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.