Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

No, only BD disks are damaged

prognastycator likes this.
  2. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Obviously they use cheap discs but overcharge fans

3. I bought all the individual sets - none of my BDs show visible deterioration. I have a mix of retail sets from America and Europe. What's strange is that this isn't a common problem for Blu-rays since 2010 - peeling was an issue solved in the 2000s by manufacturers. It's the protective coating that gets applied to all Blu-rays.

4. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

My sets are perfect. No problems with the blu-rays.

5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Stupid question from a non-Blue-Ray-player-owner - does one need some manner of Blue-Ray apparatus to back up B-D discs? Or are they just another flavor of files on my computer? Thanks.

(I do expect to upgrade one of these centuries....)

6. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

You need a blu ray drive and a program that can extract the files or copy the disc. For file extraction it's tough to beat MakeMKV. It's free and very lightweight. It can also be used with DVDs. Disc copying is another story. You may need to purchase a program for that (I did). Perhaps others can chime in on programs they use for making ISO (exact disc copy) of blu rays.

anth67 likes this.
  7. Reese

Reese Why did you say 'Burma'?

I use AnyDVD. While this is not free, the cost of the software is trivial compared to the potential cost of losing your collection of blu-rays. Also not trivial is the time involved in making the backups and the cost of finding a place to store all the giant ISO files.

8. Reese

Reese Why did you say 'Burma'?

I should mention that I use ImgBurn in conjunction with AnyDVD to create faithful ISO images of blu-rays (and burn copies of those discs). ImgBurn is free. AnyDVD unlocks the disc; ImgBurn copies it.

ThirdBowl, anth67 and edfom like this.
  9. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

That isn't true. MakeMKV will back up a full blu-ray as well. Once you put the disc in the drive you have the option to back up.
    Once you scan the disc, you lose that option.

edfom and rontoon like this.
  10. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Oh hey. Learned something new. I never noticed that "Backup" button before. Thanks!

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  11. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

Backing up is wise, but shouldn't be necessary...hope for a resolution. Already spent enough on this set....

opiumden, rnranimal and rontoon like this.
  12. rontoon

rontoon Floydian Archivist

Thank! Never knew that. Here I go again...

ThirdBowl and Hymie the Robot like this.
  13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Good morning hopefully I can get an answer to this question. I was reading Glenn Povey's excellent Floyd day by day book and Point Me At The Sky was performed along with Set the Controls and Saucerful on 25th January 1969 for a French TV station. The footage in TEY is lovely (David wears a great hat) and has a nice sound. Unfortunately there is no Point Me At The Sky. Was it not recorded or available for the box? I have not checked U Tube yet to see if it is on there somewhere.

Big Pasi likes this.
  14. central616

central616 Forum Resident

15. central616

16. central616

17. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I remember someone said earlier in the thread that only 28000 of these boxes were produced. Well, they're still available, so I guess that number was horribly wrong.

18. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

You really think they've sold 28,000 of these boxes already? I think you overestimate the market size.

Clucking likes this.
  19. Clucking

Clucking Elixer of Life

Perhaps he means that the decision to create 28,000 of these boxes was a wrong estimate of how many they could sell? No way they unload 28,000 of these at $500/pop.

JediJoker likes this.
  20. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

I don't think that many copies of boxing were sold for full price. I bought my copy at very comfortable price £139.65 (including delivery) by amazon.co.uk

21. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Wasn't that price for like less than a day?

22. rnranimal

rnranimal Forum Resident

It was only a matter of a few hours, if that. I ordered one and by the time I went back to order one for a friend, they were out. The price was never near that again, that I recall.

23. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Well, I did pay 500€.
    And tbh, until I found out that the discs were rotting, I found it a worth purchase.

Hattipper and rnranimal like this.
  24. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Yeah, that 's it. If I remember correctly, it was January 7 for ~ 30 minutes. I was lucky to make my order.

25. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I was really unhappy I'd paid the full price of £375 but pleased a few got lucky. That £375 isn't the full story, hardware and BD blanks to burn the 5.1 Meddle cost me another £1oo and something, so about £500 in the end.

rnranimal and Hymie the Robot like this.