Pink Floyd The Early Years Blu-Ray Issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hattipper, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Thank god i didnt spend the $$$ for tey blurays...my $ was spent on the 5.1 sacd n some bootleg russian blurays found cheap on fleabay...they have the Quad n 5.1 mix:)

The bootlegs n sacd have NO playback issues

2. I think they’re looking into it but at least you should have received the courtesy of a reply. After all, you spent $500 on a box set that’s lasted about 36 months and is now deteriorating.

Audiowannabee, Hattipper and Norco74 like this.
  3. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Looks like they are in the selling business only and forgot it usually comes with service especially when your product shows a manufacturing defect.

Similar to DGM and the latest KC boxset. 2 official updates regarding the speed issue resolution in 3 months and still no ETA...

As this guy was saying: Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.

Hattipper and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  4. ARK, serj, Bill Mac and 1 other person like this.
  5. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

This definitely needs spreading far and wide. I'm really concerned that Optimal Media are going to keep on producing faulty discs in expensive and high profile releases going forward unless this gets some serious attention.

NunoBento, Bill Mac, zinan and 4 others like this.
  6. Paul at SDE seems to be completely ignoring the posts to his site which mentions the faulty BR discs. I sent him an email and no reply to that either. I’m done using his SDE links to by my Amazon box sets, I’ve been doing so for years and in fact SDE pushed the hell out of the Early Years Box only to play dumb with this issue. He read my email. The Later Years Box is being hyped there too.

Maybe all of you can send him an email and see if you get the silent treatment too?

[email protected]

mc9 and rnranimal like this.
  7. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

He might not be your best lifeline as his interests are somehow business motivated but it never hurts to try. I have seen him coming out a number of times with negative critics (Phil Collins, Kaye Bush).

By now, I am pretty sure ‘Corp’ is aware and an inquiry has started. Not sure how long it will take for an official announcement though.

8. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident Thread Starter

He didn't allow my post through. It was a "buyer beware" post.

NunoBento and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

If you’re looking for an alternative to SDE try The Second Disc

10. Thank you, sir. :tiphat:

11. I agree he has a vested interest now that he’s selling these box sets directly. I’ve probably bought 100 sets using his links over the years to get the best price. I’m done with that. On the other hand you’re also right in that he’s come out swinging when production is suspect. That’s why I’m a little surprised. As they say . . . It is what it is. :tiphat:

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It went through as I saw it but now it's gone.

Hattipper likes this.
  13. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I think this is ******** as Paul has stood up (and still is) for many issues with the music industry (Macca / Bush / Gabriel etc).
    He's has NO intrest in Floyd as he is not selling them. He and SDE is not your spokesman for all the problems with recordcompanies or artists.
    He has stated all of the above issues in his reports but it's not his job to put every complaint into action.

scobb likes this.
  14. That’s too funny . . . Wait, Paul, is that you?! :winkgrin:

rnranimal, mestreech and NunoBento like this.
  15. And for the record, I did indeed order my set through his site using the click-through Amazon affiliate link, so in that regard Paul and SDE did indeed profit from my purchase. He should be writing about this episode, that’s what his site is all about.

As the great @GodShifter would say . . .

“Go forth, Tony Robbins.”

16. Quantum Reason

Quantum Reason Forum Resident

Well, my heart sank a little when I saw this thread and rushed over to check my set. I did see a tiny "bubble" on my Continu/ation disc 1 blu-ray. It still played fine. I didn't see any other "bubbles" on any of the other blu-rays. Though, some of the edges around the disc look a little rough. But, I have seen rough edges on plenty of discs without any issues. So, I don't know. I haven't played all the discs in the set yet to verify but hoping they are fine since there aren't "bubbles" on any of the other discs. The CD`s were backed up when I first bought the set. But, I have yet to back up either the DVDs or blu-rays. Perhaps it is time to invest in a blu-ray ripper of some kind. Sucks!

17. AlexC

AlexC Forum Resident

my comment made yesterday has been approved and is still there at this time

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  18. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Of course Paul is a spokesman for the fans and a decisive link between us and the record companies. He has been for years in countless situations (you mentioned some of them) and sometimes in an aggressive way (Collins recently). That's why hiding this MAJOR Floyd scandal is somewhat of a headscratcher for me.

19. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Busted :laughup::laughup:
    No I have no ties with Paul aside the fact that I use his site a lot.

JediJoker and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

:righton:

21. Kevin Howard

Kevin Howard Forum Resident

Today I received a new reply from Paul Loasby:

Dear Kevin,

Please see below and contact Warner as directed. This has been sent to the Steve Hoffman forum for posting.

In 2016 our attention was drawn to a small batch of Blu-ray discs supplied for ‘The Early Years 1965-1972’, which had been subject to unreported transit damage, causing eventual discolouration and playing issues over time.

Now in 2019, we have been advised that a small quantity of the below discs have been affected:

CAMBRIDGE ST/ATION / 0190295929855 / PFREY1-BD

GERMIN/ATION / EAN 0190295929831 / PFREY2-BD

DRAMATIS/ATION / EAN 0190295929824 / PFREY3-BD

DEVI/ATION EAN 019029529817 / PFREY4-BD

REVERBER/ATION / 0190295929800 / PFREY5-BD

OBFUSC/ATION / EAN 0190295929794 / PFREY6-BD

CONTINU/ATION / EAN 0190295929787 / PFREY7-BD1

CONTINU/ATION / EAN 0190295929787 / PFREY7-BD2

If you have any of the above discs that are experiencing playability issues, please TAKE A PHOTOGRAPH of the condition of the disc (both back and front), state its catalogue number and enclose the photograph with full delivery details, and we will send you a replacement. [email protected].

We will be manufacturing replacement discs on a limited basis based on demand, so please contact us BEFORE JANUARY 01, 2020, in order that your request can be processed. This offer does not affect your statutory rights.

Thank you for your support of Pink Floyd, and please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that this may have caused.

regards

Paul Loasby

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    lightbulb, ARK, andrewskyDE and 23 others like this.
  22. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Wow, that as quick! "In transit damage", ha? Right. More like "we have a new box set to ship".
    Fair play to them, though. This is how Pink Floyd should handle business. With professionalism.

23. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

Welp, I broke out the box one more time to check my discs and it looks like mine are starting to go too.

24. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

The potential problem with this solution being offered by Paul Loasby is that it could be read to say that if there is no apparent "damage" to the disk now, as documented in the photograph we're supposed to include, then they won't send a replacement. We have every reason to believe tha all of the blu-ray disks will eventually fail. So, I'm submitting ALL of my disks for replacement now, regardless of their current state.

lightbulb, ARK, vivalapsych and 7 others like this.
  25. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

are there any EU x US differences? I was really into buy separate EU editions...now I don't know what to do really :(

mestreech likes this.