Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I was about to comment on that. The YouTube videos have been all over the map, aspect ratio wise.

2. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I believe what was stated is they were still going through stuff and trying to find stuff, which was partially responsible for the initial delay. If he came out and said they deemed all the live material not worthy of release, I didn't hear that yet.

jonnyslb likes this.
  3. chav

chav Active Member

It's the broadcast version, with a few cuts (maybe just one, with luck). Contrary to Pulse, there wasn't a recorder per camera. The editing was done in real-time, and only the master result was recorded. Same with the sound.

mc9, rontoon and OAI like this.
  4. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

I figured as much, many thanks. Are you happy with the quality?

5. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Its the same as the original broadcast i have watched my bootleg version of Venice so many times the ending of the clip is identical.

Big Pasi likes this.
  6. chav

chav Active Member

Well, I think the style of the live editing wasn't very good (I don't like cross-over shots all the time), and the sound is over-compressed (like it was comon pratice for radio FM and TV).
    But if the image of this new version is 4:3, it will be as good as it gets. We could see in the demo clips that in the image there's no aliasing, image is very clean and detailed (for an SD betacam recording).

mc9 likes this.
  7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

High Hopes in glorious HD

To me, still the last ever Floyd song

St. Troy, MikeManaic61, GowG and 7 others like this.
  8. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

That upload is from 2014, not part of the new box campaign. I hope they've restored the music videos as brilliantly as they have the concert footage.

Lost In The Flood and jonnyslb like this.
  9. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

That's hardly plenty from Dark Side or WYWH. I couldn't care less about single edits, or official release of the much-booted "Us & Them" mix with sax playing all the way through. With the exception of more Household Objects (likely less than great cause for gnomes to say hooray), the good stuff has already been excavated. The best bit left from Dark Side is probably the (also oft-booted) Pompeii mix of "Speak To Me."

Though the rest of that '72 Brighton show would be nice, if they've got that....

Frans T and rontoon like this.
  10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

As with nearly all videos HD remastered by major artists (think about The Police or Bon Jovi), they keep the original upload date and comments, but the video is HD indeed. Before that, the quality was nowhere near as good as today

:wave:

The Learning To Fly video is now HD as well, but the "upload" date is from 2014

phil.jp, superstar19, Carlox and 2 others like this.
  11. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Good to know! I hadn't bothered to re-watch it as I had seen the previous unload and it was pretty bad. Thanks for the heads up!

12. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Original Wall Live in HD? Yeah, that would be great. Even if it's not a whole uncut show.

5.1 Animals? Couldn't possibly care less.

Unreleased Animals tour audio? That would be fantastic.

Not interested in the upcoming Later Years box at all.

13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Just because Po brought it up during a conversation doesn't neccessarily mean that The Middle Years is being planned. And there's a thread dedicated to speculation, more appropriate to post about it there.

14. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Exactly!

Lownote30 and rontoon like this.
  15. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

No...probably a contractual issue. Remember: they’d have to get Waters to agree and I doubt he’d agree to including the show in a post-Waters era box, whic
    Arnold Layne is also on one of the Blu Rays, as is Lost for Words, one of three tracks from the 1994 Division Bell Tour rehearsals included.

16. John Kelman

No I’m not. I reviewed it as part of my Later Years box review. Where did I suggest it wasn’t (if I did that was obviously an error).

17. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

OMFG... Friday is taking far too long to arrive.

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. John Kelman

Ah...I jus see what happened. For some reason, I thought of 88 as Live 8. D’oh. And that was the show I was referring to. It would’ve been nice to have had that set included in the Later Years box...but, as I said, I suspect between contractual issues and the (surprisingly) still ongoing animosity between Gilmour and Mason, I wonder if they’ll even be able to come to an agreement to allow a Middle Years box to happen...which would be a huge seller, certainly more, I think, than either Early or Later Years boxes (but I’m just guessing).

anywsy, sorry for the confusion there!
    J

rontoon and SteveFff like this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Gilmour and Waters.

Tim 2 likes this.
  20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

You've said it. :shrug:

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'm itching like a man on a fuzzy tree.....

coffeetime, oneslip17 and rontoon like this.
  22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'm trying not to think about it. You're not helping! :laugh:

chav, mark winstanley and oneslip17 like this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

So that was part of this nebulous peace plan?

24. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Fabulous! :)

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I have no idea.

I'm listening to The Endless River, it's been a while. It's grown on me over time. It is what it is and I'm a sucker who can listen to Gilmour play just about anything and enjoy it. Its bonus-Floyd and I totally understand why some might dislike it or criticize it. The cover art is the only thing that I really don't care for but thankfully I'm not forced to look at it while I play the album. :p

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019