Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Venice BluRay now. A visual step down from Delicate (and probably the Pulse BluRay too for that matter) but still looks very good. Any fuzziness and fizzing of colours (notably Gary Wallis' neon light sticks) are down to the source material and not a substandard BluRay encode.

The PCM soundtrack is good for what it is - full sounding and dynamic, but without the precise imaging of the 5.1 mix. I'm watching it via Dolby Surround (the modern version which attempts an Atmos style up mix, rather than the vintage ProLogin II processing).

Venice was my 'in' into Pink Floyd 30 years ago, so this is a highly significant inclusion in the set for me. I just don't remember Guy Pratt's hair looking like THAT though!

St. Troy, drum_cas, OAI and 4 others like this.
  2. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Fingers crossed for you!

I just went to my order page and while they haven’t sent an e-mail with my tracking number and official shipping notice, the tracking number is there.

Was very happy to see UPS as the shipping option. It goes in phases which is the worst delivery service in my area, but right now USPS is the worst, so I was happy to see UPS is handling this one.

OAI and StormCloud like this.
  3. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Really, with DSOT? I don't know how anyone could go back to the original after hearing this one. Complete show and much better mix. The instrument separation on this is fantastic!

4. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I'm not talking about the box set version. In your first post you said "Money from Delicate Sound of Thunder CD has been cut even more than on the original", implying that Money from the original Delicate Sound of Thunder CD is also cut. It's that specific remark I find hard to believe, since that version is nearly 10 minutes in length. I'm sorry to cause all this confusion.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  5. Karmageddon

Karmageddon The Vinyl Advocate

That makes more sense. So some (or all?) of the trax have been LIMITED and/or COMPRESSED not CLIPPING then.

Clipping only occurs when the digital signal goes over absolute zero. FYI.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    phil.jp likes this.
  6. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

What it was played, was about 12 minutes!

7. Karmageddon

Karmageddon The Vinyl Advocate

I didn’t like the new solo in OTTA. It just sounds like David going thru scales and runs. Doesn’t sound as memorable as the original IMO. YMMV. ;-)

Larry Schmidt likes this.
  8. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Go back and listen to the original again and you will see. I'm talking about sound quality, not mix. The dynamics and soundfield are so much more involving on the CD; as I originally posted, it's very irritating because without the needlessly excessive dynamic compression the new remixed version would be superior. It was just stupid to do it (the excess compression), reminiscent of Giles Martin's Sgt. Pepper's (which he wisely avoided for the White Album and Abbey Road; you would have thought the engineers for this set would have paid more attention to that example)

Larry Schmidt and superstar19 like this.
  9. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Really? I didn't know Money could be that long.

zinan, NunoBento and jonnyslb like this.
  10. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Just creating lossless rips of the CDs and the Venice DVD PCM soundtrack for listening on my Sony DAP at work tomorrow, so have taken the opportunity to go through the ticket/posters/singles envelope.

The Earls Court ticket is reproduced down to the security hologram and crest. Can’t help but admire the attention to detail and the sweating of the small stuff here.

11. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Yeah, the Tim Renwick guitar solo, keyboards solos from Rick and Jon Carin were longer, and there's another saxophone solo. The middle section was very long!

St. Troy and Lost In The Flood like this.
  12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

While we're at it, is the Enigma still there? :D
    [​IMG]

St. Troy, zinan, andrewskyDE and 3 others like this.
  13. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

Is this the part where Michael Cretu comes out for a keyboard solo? lol

St. Troy, RAZORMADE and Max Florian like this.
  14. Krypto98

Krypto98 Well-Known Member

I like the mix better, but it sounds a little compressed. Just slightly, not as big offender as The Who album that just came out or those Genesis Remasters...

15. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

How are people getting the box set one day AHEAD of the release date? Where did you buy from that you are getting it yesterday and today??

16. StormCloud

StormCloud They are not artists! (shouts the 'genie')

New interview with Andy Jackson:

Grammy-Award winning engineer Andy Jackson talks remastering Pink Floyd’s The Later Years box set

Look at this paragraph where Andy Jackson seems to be referencing a colleague who also has been affiliated with Pink Floyd over the years: “I learned a very important lesson a long time ago, and that was always to remember that it’s not my name on the cover. If you develop the wrong sense of ownership it will come back to bite you. Fortunately, we have (with David Gilmour) a very good working relationship established over a long time, so I can make suggestions. And in the end, it’s their baby – not mine.”

Here's the link: Grammy-Award winning engineer Andy Jackson talks remastering Pink Floyd's The Later Years box set - PSNEurope

17. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

No it doesn't make me feel better :) I suspect you will get yours tomorrow if you are in Toronto, while mine will arrive Monday- that's my bet anyways. I'm cool with what I have for a couple of days though, outside of the car I really don't see a use for the stereo versions so might as well play them to death before the package gets here.

18. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Amazon UK here. This time yesterday I had an estimated delivery of Thursday 18th Dec. Got a despatch email early this morning and an out for delivery at 9am. I’m as astonished as anyone. I’ve had things on the day of release before from Amazon UK but never before release date,

19. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

If you preorder something it's actually not very uncommon to get the item a day or so before release date. That has happened to me many times. Not this time, though. Still waiting for my box set.

NunoBento likes this.
  20. StormCloud

StormCloud They are not artists! (shouts the 'genie')

Amazon UK shipped mine last night. It will be arriving next monday! :cheers:

21. Krypto98

Krypto98 Well-Known Member

Looks like its limited to -0.5 DB on DSOT and -0.3 on Momentary Lapse of Reason

22. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

from a clip what got posted here last week it does not show that projection at all. It shows Nick, Rick, David and the backing singers no stage shot like on the original ppv broadcast & the dvd version

23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Interesting. I think I like that better than cleverly erasing it.

24. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

25. What’s going on here?

Hattipper likes this.