Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

At least tell them to slit that price down, esp. with the number of glaring omissions in the set.

vitorbastos123 and pinkpurpl like this.
  2. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Obviously those investing in producing this will have researched the numbers over and over again before committing to such a mammoth undertaking but I am really not sure there is as much of an audience for this as a casual observer might imagine.

Everything (tickets, albums, merch) created post Rog has been sold off the back of what the RW/DG line up achieved together. Those records and events have had various degrees of intrinsic merit but they were made commercially valuable by the past. They were a souvenir of what was already a nostalgic experience. Division Bell did decent business but it isn't loved deeply in the way that even More and Obscured By Clouds are loved. Momentary Lapse even more so.

The live recordings from that era are kind of ok but would many fans of any vintage choose them over Pompeii, Is There Anybody Out There or the bonus live recordings that came with DSOTM & WYWH? Can't see it myself. Pulse is important because the visuals are so well presented on dvd but that Earls Court show had plenty of longueurs. There are quite a few DG live recordings that I would listen to ahead of it.

What it boils down to is that I just can't see that many people forking out that kind of money for this experience and I say this as someone who absolutely loves the band - for the music in its own right but also for what their music says about (and to) the peculiarities of the English psyche. Theirs is a unique body of work but for me this stuff is the ephemera. I don't need it in my life and no amount of sexy un-boxing videos will have me reaching for the Visa card this time. Not even at 150 euros. I am not sure I would even get through playing it all even once. And I am someone who buys everything and has done since 73.

If just 1% of the people who bought Endless Wotsit fork out for this then that is 30k copies and a whole lot of money. Are there anything like 30,000 people with that kind of money to spend? I wouldn't bet on it but someone has.

3. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

What I assume is the 2019 mix of 'On The Turning Away' is in this promo video.

Drums sound a lot better to my ears, although it is YT quality and sound effects from the video over the top of the song.

andrewskyDE and coffeetime like this.
  4. Brautigan

Brautigan Well-Known Member

Wonder what will turn up on the streaming services, as it seems that's where the majority of formerly loyal Floyd purchasers will be hearing this con job.

aroney and SoCalWJS like this.
  5. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Well the streaming options from their official link is just the single disc highlights selection.

I think it was about 3-6 months before TEY showed up in its entirety for streaming.

6. pinkpurpl

pinkpurpl Forum Resident

Friendly, but with concrete solid questions....

xXFloydianXx likes this.
  7. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Streaming & digital download purchase showed up day and date with the individual CD/DVD/BR volumes being offered for sale, from what I remember.

mc9 and jɑmbo like this.
  8. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

How come The Final Cut isn't included? Are there plans for that one to get some kind of Immersion box set?

mark winstanley and formu_la like this.
  9. vikerii

vikerii Well-Known Member

Hi all. I was so much looking forward to, and assuming, we'd finally get Peace Be With You. Can't believe it's not included. Absolute bummer.

Sytze and jonboy71 like this.
  10. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

This is purely a celebration of the band's 'Post Waters Dream'.

Rycherocker634, Jam757, Sean and 14 others like this.
  11. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Ah that would make sense. I think that was about 4-5 months after. Will be interesting to see if and how they cut this up.

athensdrums and coffeetime like this.
  12. Has a trackless for the single cd / 2 LP set been revealed?

13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yes.

Sean, Jack and Luisboa like this.
  14. Raf

Raf Senior Member

That's what I remember too.

And I think Cre/ation became available for streaming and download on the same day TEY box set was released, so it seems TLY will be on a similar release schedule.

15. RKMiller

RKMiller Forum Resident

16. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Over on super deluxe edition.com

Sean, coffeetime and Pete Puma like this.
  17. I'm gonna keep my powder dry for a good while, and see how the price goes in the several months post-release. I'd go $200, maybe $250 -- but much more than that, and I really have a hard time justifying it. I'll watch the DVD's every once in a blue moon, and there just isn't enough to get me to fork over $300-$350 (which is where I think it may ultimately settle out to). Will I cave and give in at $280? - yeah, probably. But not $320.

I think there's a 50/50 chance of them selling parts of the set separately -- and even then, they'll leave out the stuff I'm most interested in (I'm just sure).

If they do issue the new AMLOR individually, I'd certainly buy that, no question. Maybe DSOT (since I've never owned that on CD ever, and only had it on cassette back in the day, and haven't heard those in 20 years).

Maybe I'll stumble on a cheap(er) copy of the whole box in several years. I did nab a "2DVD/3CD (5-disc) David Gilmour in Gdańsk off eBay a couple years ago for a hair less than $52 (including shipping!) -- so maybe in 3-5 years, I can score one of these sets for $200 somehow.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Matadorman and bobloblaw like this.
  18. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

The Later Years 2LP / single CD ‘highlights’ track listing

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-5) [Live at Knebworth 1990] [2019 Mix] (new 2019 mix)
    2. Marooned Jam (Unreleased 1994 Recording) (previously unreleased)
    3. One Slip (2019 Remix) (new A Momentary lapse of Reason 2019 mix)
    4. Lost For Words (Tour Rehearsal 1994) (previously unreleased)
    5. Us And Them (Live, Delicate Sound Of Thunder) [2019 Remix] (new 2019 mix)
    6. Comfortably Numb (Live at Knebworth 1990) [2019 Mix] (previously unreleased)
    7. Sorrow (2019 Remix) (new A Momentary lapse of Reason 2019 mix)
    8. Learning To Fly (Live, Delicate Sound Of Thunder) [2019 Remix] (new 2019 mix)
    9. High Hopes (Early Version) [Unreleased 1994 Recording] (previously unreleased)
    10. On The Turning Away (2019 Remix) (new A Momentary lapse of Reason 2019 mix)
    11. Wish You Were Here (Live at Knebworth 1990) [2019 Mix] (previously unreleased)
    12. Run Like Hell (Live, Delicate Sound Of Thunder) [2019 Remix]

Sean, PhantomStranger, ARK and 3 others like this.
  19. RKMiller

RKMiller Forum Resident

It is included on one of the 7" singles, not on CD.

20. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Sean, mc9, rontoon and 1 other person like this.
  21. That’s pretty good, thanks for posting. Too bad the remix of Learning To Fly isn't included, otherwise I would not need to get the remixed Momentary Lapse.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  22. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

I think they’ve found my limit—I’ve bought pretty much every box set that had new material in it, but the price for the content here is absurd. I may just get the highlights disc, or wait and see if they release individual sets from this. It looks cool, but I can’t justify paying that price for it.

Sean, ARK, Deek57 and 3 others like this.
  23. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

Sean, D-rock and andrewskyDE like this.
  24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

But it sounds like a broadcast mix. The 2019 mix on audio streaming services (Tidal HiFi particularly) sounds good... this video is mono, and muddy, and I expect the video on the box set to be the same. Yet another disappointment
    Yep, me as well

hiterss likes this.
  25. Binth

Binth Forum Resident

Well I pre-ordered but now am considering cancelling, especially now after Ron's comments on what was scrapped at the last minute. Those were the gems I was looking forward to and one of the reasons I liked the Immersion sets for the stuff in the vaults. Who would have thought we would see an early mix of DSOTM on an Immersion set but here at least a CD worth of stuff axed at the last minute especially at this price point? I was hoping maybe a CD worth of material included not available elsewhere to justify the cost of the box.

I find it a bit strange the on David's solo releases he seems to be a kitchen sink kind of guy and releases most of the interesting stuff (I did not think the flubbed up lyrics OTTA and the acoustic Echoes would see the light of day from OAI tour) but when it comes to PF obvious things get left off?

It is a shame that PF are not more connected to the fan base via social media to have a way to express in a constructive way the disappointment for the box contents and maybe get a reason for exclusion (I know this is fantasy but we really have no recourse other then not buying it to submit feedback.)

I have a few months to try and rebuild excitement for this or cancel so I will wait and see what develops.

St. Troy, Sean, drum_cas and 5 others like this.