Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. It should be noted that Breathe was actually Breathe/Breathe (Reprise), I think that is the only time it has been performed, by Pink Floyd, as a complete song since 1972 (on the Eclipse tour) (and I don't think it was even then).

The London Philharmonic Orchestra took this approach on their 1995 album Us and Them: Symphonic Pink Floyd arranged by Jaz (Jeremy) Coleman (founding member of Killing Joke), produced by Martin Glover (aka Youth). A couple of years later the same team did Kashmir: Symphonic Led Zeppelin.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

You’re fortunate!

croquetlawns likes this.
  3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Yes, one of their most memorable gigs with a completely unique setlist, all the more reason to include it, ONE WOULD THINK ...

vallilalainen and Billy Infinity like this.
  4. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

I have to wonder if Gilmour isn’t interested since it would almost seem like a tacit admission that it was a return to the REAL Pink Floyd, rather than the post-Waters version of the band. And of course I’m sure Waters and Gilmour would probably never come to an agreement anyway.

5. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

I'm not saying that he doesn't, but why would Dave care anymore? Rick's gone and Floyd is not getting back together again. People are gonna have their opinions of the post-Waters era whether or not they reissue stuff with Roger in it, so who cares? Just sit back, release everything and sleep on a pile of cash. What was the beef with the Animals vinyl reissue anyway?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  6. Mark in Minnesota

Mark in Minnesota Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly. Those two are still in their mini-feud. The rest of us just want music. Put it out for the fans, for cryin' out loud.

7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I hope so too. I still have my ticket for a 2020 show!

croquetlawns and Levi's Tubs like this.
  8. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

You’ve been a member of this forum for 13 years and you don’t know how a Pink Floyd thread suddenly became about Paul McCartney?!? ;)

9. Mark in Minnesota

Mark in Minnesota Forum Resident

And the Waters era was better/Gilmour era was better. :shh:

NunoBento likes this.
  10. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

11. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Stunning version of CN and probably my favourite.

12. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

its my fav version of CN too. Compared too the new 2019 mix i still find myself playing this version every time, better guitar tone better structured edited solo, vocals are better and clearer. Its sounds more "live" if that makes sense. It builds too the screeching tremlo bit better. Which they have edited a few bars out on the new mix, there is a few guitar licks i like in the new remix

Gus Tomato likes this.
  13. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I admit I've never been too hot on the old version of CN from DSOT... but when I heard the new edit there were parts where I was going :yikes::yikes::yikes:
    Need to listen to it more often but first impression is positive.

zinan and Azza200 like this.
  14. Packblower

Packblower Lovely form, lovely buttocks.

Lies!

But since we're in a Floyd thread, it's only fair to point out that whatever you think of Wonderful Christmastime and Christmas In The Heart, they're a lot better than Pink Floyd's Christmas song.

jeffreybh likes this.
  15. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I really like the Live 8 performance, it's proper Pink Floyd, only four songs that blow anything on Pulse or DSoT out of the water, maybe that's why L8 wasn't included in Later Years.

16. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Davids vocals on DSOT and during 1994 were his vocals at his peak and they were just as good at L8 & on his OAI tour. David did some incredible guitar solos on both the 87-89 and 94 tours.

The Live 8 set is very tight considering thats the first time they have played as the classic line up since 1981 excellent performance

17. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

I’m usually all in for expanded live albums, but it was hearing the new mix of CN that made me cherish the 1988 version even more, the vocals are just perfect on it.

Anthrax likes this.
  18. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

Too be honest, the remixes and re-edits are just taking something that wasn't broken, breaking them and then putting in all together in a fancy box so folks buy it again.

The originals are absolutely fine, DSOT has been wrecked by the new version (don't care about the shiny video if the remix has wrecked the audio), that was my gateway to Floyd on cassette, it was a real surprise to hear David didn't sing Shine on you Crazy Diamond when I first heard WYWH.

Some the soundboards are worth tracking down, better than the original and nasty remixes from the set.

19. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

“Back of the net!!!”

20. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

I would like to hear the original 1989 mix full set list the more i think about it. What i don't get is with the new remix the edited out bits in a solo which were there before in the original mix or cut bars out during a song OOTD or the screeching part in the CN all edited in this new release on Venice, Knebworth & DSOT when it was the build up too it during the final solo.

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

You're in some kind of bad mood today. First pissing all over Steven Wilson in a SW thread and now this.

22. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Agreed, but to be fair, more than half of the eight people on stage during the set had in fact played together for two tours within those intervening 24 years.

I don't think Waters's sparse bass-playing (and acoustic guitar on WYWH) would have upset any balance the touring band had cultivated over the Lapse and Bell tours.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  23. I remember that they were supposedly offered well over £100 million for a final Pink Floyd tour. "David is completely uninterested," Waters told the Associated Press. "After Live 8, I could have probably gone for doing some more stuff, but he's not interested."

I suppose you could rationalise that after Live 8 the following Spring/Summer of 2006 both Roger (TDSOTM Live) & David (with Richard) (On An Island Tour) were touring Europe playing Pink Floyd music and that that should be excluded or included on a similar basis.

And then one day you find ten years have got behind you... David toured Rattle That Lock (2015 - 2016) and when he stopped; off went Roger for another multi-year tour Us + Them (2017 - 2018). Not forgetting Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets (2018 - 2019) too.

David & Roger may be able to put up with each other in short bursts... ...they might have been able to do a one-off Celebration Day type concert (for a charitable cause), that time has probably passed by now however.

Live 8: By all accounts, everyone was on their best behavior as three days of pre-show rehearsals unfolded. "There were times when Roger was struggling to not get bossy, and I was struggling to keep being bossy," Gilmour said at the time. "I saw how arguments could have happened, but we aren't at each other's throats anymore. Getting rid of that acrimony has got to be a good thing. Who wants to have that fester in your mind the rest of your life?"

I suppose Live 8 really sorta belongs, in spirit, with the 1973 - 1985 period; and it probably precluded a larger one-off reunion concert.

The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    zinan, Nimby, croquetlawns and 6 others like this.
  24. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Live 8 was the perfect way to end it all. I don't blame David for not wanting to do the whole Floyd thing again with Roger - they would have fallen out again with a short space of time when all the old acrimonies came to the surface. I got to see Roger's Wall tour which was a dream of a life time for me as well as several excellent solo shows by Dave. Oh and The Wall show where Dave and Nick showed up. Its all good.

The only thing that saddens me a bit (and I have spoke of this before) is watching the show they did together for the Palestinian charity. There seemed to be some genuine warmth there between the two and old axes seemed to have been largely buried as also seemed the case when Dave repaid Rog by playing Comfy Numb at The Wall show. Sadly, it seems in recent years things have slipped back a fair bit.

25. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

I wonder how much more of this box set will be getting released in piecemeal fashion...

Matthew Tate likes this.