Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. floydophile

floydophile Well-Known Member

Is this documentary also omitted from 'The Later Years'?

2. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

Pretty sure og is. A shame because it's very unique and has some VERY rare footage of Syd!

3. floydophile

floydophile Well-Known Member

Perhaps, it will be part of the Knebworth footage (right before the band enters the stage) ….

4. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Do Signs of Life and On the Run have music videos? I haven't seen those.

5. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Screen films during the 1987-1989 tours (see the Delicate Sound Of Thunder video). I guess On The Run used the same for the 1994 tour (see PULSE video)

6. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I see. But Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2) and Learning to Fly are the only two Pink Floyd songs with actual music videos, right?

7. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

No. From what I can remember:

Another Brick In The Wall
    Not Now John (and some others from The Final Cut VHS)
    Learning To Fly
    On The Turning Away (live footage from 1987)
    One Slip (live footage 1987 mixed with clips from old movies)
    Take It Back
    High Hopes (similar to the screen film)
    Louder Than Words
    Surfacing (was on YouTube for a while still available at Pink Floyd | Stylorouge )

There are some earlier film clips as well that I guess can be called music videos:

Arnold Layne
    See Emely Play
    Scarecrow
    One Of These Days

St. Troy, RangerXT and coffeetime like this.
  8. floydfan2410

They also made a new music video for Marooned for the Division Bell 30th anniversary edition. And there's the B/W Hey You video from The Wall DVD bonus section.
    Not sure if they can be considered a music videos, but there are screen films as well for Dogs of War for the Lapse tour and Shine On for the Division Bell tour.

9. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

There are two versions of Arnold Layne. I actually like the second one better (released on the Continu/ation bonus set).

anth67, croquetlawns and LarsO like this.
  10. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Regarding the screen films most of them are already on the Pulse DVD, only difference this time they look like to be in full screen finally and the only additional ones we are getting are these additional screen films

31. Brain Damage + Eclipse (North American Dates) [Screen Film 1994]
    32. Brain Damage + Eclipse (European Dates) [Screen Film 1994]
    33. Brain Damage (Earls Court London Dates) [Screen Film 1994]
    The Dogs Of War (Screen Film 1987)
    Signs Of Life (Screen Film 1987)

They were not on the Pulse DVD, the rest is already on the Pulse DVD excluding the rehearsals, A Momentary Lapse of Reason - Album Cover Photo Shoot 1987, The Division Bell - Album Cover Photography (Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK) & The Division Bell Airships 1994, A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (Cover Shoot Interview)

The main highlights for me in this release is DSOT complete album the new hopefully re-edited DSOT footage, Venice & Knebworth and i am interested to see the new Pulse edit, but i am not paying £430 as its out of my price range and is a rip off at its current rrp

11. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I see that a 60-page hardcover book is included in this box. Maybe that's one of the main reasons this release is so expensive.

St. Troy likes this.
  12. I'd be a LOT more likely to pay a lot for this (at this price) if it had 3 full-length CD's of demos and other studio-stuff, (studio) run-throughs, etc. -- than I would a 60 page book.

13. tommyball

tommyball Forum Resident

FYI - Guy Pratt did an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit yesterday. (Guy Pratt here.. Ask me anything, but nothing that requires a really long answer please! Will be replying form 7pm UK time.. : Bass )

I had to 'bite my tongue' to refrain from asking him to pass along my issues with TLY. No one else asked either. Some asked about any future projects (aside from touring with Nick), and Guy confirmed there were projects, though would not provide any details, nor say whether they were PF related.

St. Troy, andrewskyDE and coffeetime like this.
  14. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

When was the last time you saw a book in a book shop priced at over £400?

15. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Never.

16. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Then you never visited a REAL bookshop.

St. Troy, Jerry Horne and Deek57 like this.
  17. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

That was deleted out of the movie as Roger felt the film was getting a bit too long with it in there. All that remained when they put it on DVD was a black and white copy of it.

coffeetime and RangerXT like this.
  18. I bit my tongue too. Not hard, actually, cuz I knew Pratt would be a million miles away from anything having to do with the actual content of TLY box.

Couldn't fathom him saying anything other than decisions related to Floyd release content were WAY above his pay-grade (which is as true as it gets).

I *did* ask him a couple dozen other questions though, most of which he replied to too!

St. Troy, LarsO, coffeetime and 2 others like this.
  19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

Was that really Roger’s call? Sounds like something Alan Parker would’ve decided.

20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The way Roger tells it, Parker and him watched a rough assembly, and both agreed the song needed to be cut

St. Troy and Demolition Man like this.
  21. floydfan2410

You're right, I forgot that.
    But it really feels like a music video when you watch it, I totally understand why it was cut :)

22. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

It's only a photo book though, so not much in the way of content.

23. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

What else can we expect from the new box set in terms of visuals?

“I think the most interesting part of the package, for me, was finding 350 film cans which contained the Delicate Sound of Thunder film. What was incredible was that all that film negative was in unbelievably good condition. I digitally restored the whole lot, we up-res'd it to 4K – and in some cases 6K – and previously it had been cobbled together a bit. I realised that Wayne Isham, who was the original director of the film, had shot it all on 35mm and had a terrible job trying to put his film together."

"Pink Floyd are never easy to film at the best of times, because of the nature of the concerts. He'd created this melange of images that were all superimposed onto each other, and I couldn't really work out why he'd done that but then I did, because it basically been shot in quite a ramshackle way. Not deliberately, it was just he nature of how you shot films in those days. There wasn't the sophistication and communication that we have shooting live concerts now.”

So what did you do?

“I took all this film, restored it all and re-edited it. It took 16 months to do it, and we've brought it up to the most incredible two-hour concert of absolutely beautiful film, it looks amazing. David re-did the sound and remixed it all, and the result is just spectacular. And it's the only Pink Floyd concert film, ever, apart from Live at Pompeii. Apart from that, there is no other live film of the whole Pink Floyd band."

"They filmed The Wall, but not successfully, it didn't look very good so they've never released it. There have been individual films of David Gilmour's tours and individual films of Roger's tours, but there's never been a Pink Floyd live film that you could show in a cinema. This looks and sounds amazing, it's beautiful, it's absolutely incredible

Aubrey Powel interview

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I wonder what "We up-res'd it to 4K - and in some case 6K" means. I assume it was just scanned in 4k, and I'm not sure why anything would be done in 6k. Anyway, I wanna see some of this dammit. :D

St. Troy likes this.
  25. Muppet

Muppet Brain the size of a Planet.

St. Troy, RangerXT and coffeetime like this.