Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It is unusual to me that there are so few/no live albums or tapes from the seventies. A band as huge as Floyd were should have a concert movie, never mind a live album lol

2. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

Pompeii is a classic! I'd nominate that for a deluxe Criterion release! ... but indeed there should have been at least three to four more concert films (from DSotM tour 72-73, 1974 Tour, WYWH tour 75, Animals Tour 77, Wall tour 80-81)

3. tommyball

tommyball Forum Resident

This seems to be a good time for comprehensive classic rock sets; but as far as 10 years or so out, who knows? The band and their contemporary fans are getting on in years. I'm in my 40s and while I have my fingers crossed for an official '77 soundboard or '80/'81 concert film, I'm not sure I can keep justifying buying many more repackaged versions of albums I already have. As far as younger fans go, I wonder if there will be enough of them interested in purchasing super deluxe box sets to make it worthwhile for the record companies.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Sevoflurane likes this.
  4. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Later Years currently showing £322.99 on Amazon UK. Is that lower than the initial price? UK release date 29/11 as things stand still. Still expensive, but Rachel Fury in HD....:cool::whistle:

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

sorry, yes Pompeii is great ... Dave's return is pretty damn good too ... but that's another story

6. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Its about 175£ away from my trigger value!

7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

That's not the case. I know for a fact that they were desperately looking for DSOTM tour footage to be included in the Immersion box just as they continue to look for soundboard recordings from the Animals tour. They aren't holding back these things, that's just incorrect speculation.

St. Troy, ARK, TheKevster and 8 others like this.
  8. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

FIFY.

9. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Finding DSOTM Live Footage, Animals Tour Live Footage, (The Wall Tour we know that exist), to put together in a Middle Years Box would the Holy Grail for all Pink Floyd fans. I want so bad that a miracle will happen!!!

Floyd fan 71, Bink, RangerXT and 3 others like this.
  10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

No, other way around. Pompeii soundtrack CD was included by mistake, OBC remix had to be included as a supplement in the big box, but both discs came out on the standalone editions of Obfusc/ation
    If there is, it wouldn't make sense to blame Waters for that, right? If he liked the OBC remix in stereo why would he veto the 5.1 version?

St. Troy likes this.
  11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Because those multichannel mixes fall within Guthrie's domain.

St. Troy, Sevoflurane and Mrmojo like this.
  12. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

DB and Endless Andy Jackson.

13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Andy does all the post-Waters Floyd mixes and Gilmour solo projects.

14. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

They can surely clean up (not that it needs much done to it) the Oakland 1977 bootleg and release that with the Animals boxset as that for me is the definite performance from the ITF tour Dogs & Pigs 3DO are stand out brilliant performances of those songs.

St. Troy and RAZORMADE like this.
  15. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

original UK list price on Amazon and elsewhere was £429. Floyd’s official online store had it for £399. Current Amazon UK price of £322 is due to an apparent lowering of the wholesale price by the publisher, the suspicion being low preorder rates relative to expectations.

16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

While this recording may meet your standards this is obviously below theirs.

17. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

It's nice to see quality control being taken care of seriously this time rather than with let's say, the Early Years' BBC source ;)

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

This could be just sound effect tapes.

If you mean an expanded mix of the studio album, 'The Last Few Bricks' was pure creation in the concerts.
    I'd like to hear full/longer versions of 'Young Lust', 'Comfortably Numb', 'In The Flesh' etc.

St. Troy, RangerXT and NunoBento like this.
  19. Egads. I thought/still think the Genesis remixes were abysmal.

20. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Ron, have you ever spoken with your sources about the ITF tour tapes. Do we know if they are still sitting in a vault or if they even still exist in some form. I know the belief in the band at least is that they weren't good enough to clean up for mass consumption, but surely with today's technology I would hope they could give us something better than a guy holding up a mic with a reel to reel rig? Many thanks as always for your great content and contributions.

St. Troy likes this.
  21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Ive discussed this many times. The tour was recorded on a Nak using open air mics. They still have these recordings, even worked on a few to be possibly released as part of the Animals box but were deemed not up to their standards.

22. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Thank you Ron. I know that them seeing the light of day is remote, but if they did in fact work on them we still have some hope I guess. Sad that we may have to out live David and Roger and wait for their respective Estates to milk the last few drops of audio gold for us.

St. Troy and jonnyslb like this.
  23. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Their standards are high, is true, but in the Early Years box set there were bad quality audio released, so maybe if they found those tapes with modern technology, they can make something with good quality!

24. Mrmojo

Mrmojo Forum Resident

Not even bonus material.

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

If they ever resort to releasing the Oakland 77 show as an official audio representation of the Animals tour it will just go to show how truly bankrupt they are of material.

St. Troy, ODShowtime, Deek57 and 7 others like this.