Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

I think that's exactly the plan with this boxset, to release lots of previously unreleased/uncirculated stuff

RangerXT likes this.
  2. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

So the debate is do you preorder or wait til a price drop ..the early years had a significant reduction a few months later

RangerXT likes this.
  3. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

*Groan*....... We have the early years upto and including 1972, then a massive jump to the later years......... Where's the middle years? Unless they think they've covered that period by issuing the Immersion boxes, and with the forthcoming Animals *box*?? (Not sure if it'll be a box, but we can hope)

We'll likely get Nassau which to this day remains unissued *officially*, and maybe a remaster of DSOT on Blu-Ray and DVD. I have to be honest...... I'm not really jumping for joy with the prospect of this release. I haven't even bought the early Years box yet due to lack of funds...... And the idea of shelling out a lot of money for a Floyd box from an era that wasn't as prolific in my mind isn't high on my list.

What I would like to see however is a remaster of DSOT with all the slow-mo removed, and crappy grainy effects... Brilliant songs marred by an awful video production... It was the 80's I suppose

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  4. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

Great! Then leaving the soundtrack to La Carrera Panamericana out of it would be silly unless they sit on a massive treasure trove which would be cool/frustrating for fans who lived in hope of them releasing new albums between '88 and The Endless River.
    Oh wait, they'll release it as an RSD exclusive :idea:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  5. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

....But seriously - they recorded nine songs (not three) at least for "Household Objects."

We've heard TWO.

We better get the rest of those at some point!

RangerXT, andrewskyDE and ponkine like this.
  6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

While we await details on this release (eagerly, I might add), I wanted to sing the praises of one aspect of this era: the vibe.

Pink Floyd were always excellent at channeling vibe and marrying it to visual presentations. Those early record covers always married a striking visual with a hint of mystery. I remember looking at the various images that came with the music and starting to wonder about the world being depicted. What else might have been lurking just out of frame? What kinds of people lived there? What are they doing?

You get the idea.

So, obviously, as someone who got into the Floyd in the late '90s, I wasn't exactly experiencing this stuff in real time, but when I did get to see the videos for Momentary Lapse and Division Bell, it was the difference between seeing a picture of a clock and seeing its inner workings in motion. That's on top of album art that continued the tradition I already mentioned. The mind wants to make sense of these impressionistic images and even if that was a losing proposition, the attempt was half the fun of diving into that "world."

Anyway, I didn't want to go on excessively here, but the balance sheet needed some compensation for the fact that we always hear about how "of their time" these albums were. The criticisms are well-documented, but there's a lot of good material here and it fits in perfectly with what came before, as far as I'm concerned.

The hope is that this release does justice to the era.

7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I agree. The few new tracks are boring. Nothing Floydian about them.

8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Will it have a die-cast of one of
    Nick's race cars as a promo item?

9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Don't joke. They'll do that and suddenly a handle cut into an insert will spawn five pages of "OMG, WAS THE CAR SPOSD TO B IN THE BOX THE WHOLE TIME!?" speculation. :biglaugh:

(I kid because I love. :winkgrin:)

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

What is the consensus here; do fans think the bonus content from the Immersion/Experience sets will be recycled on this upcoming box set?

11. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

The new boxset deals with the period AFTER the departure of Roger Waters.
    So there won't be anything related to Dark side, Wish you or The wall in therre.

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. I was clearly confused.

Billy_Sunday and Zongadude like this.
  13. I like it and I hope it is released in audio form and the video is re-issued as part of the box.

14. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

They can't do an entire boxed set about two (and a half) albums. "The Early Years" covered seven LP's!

EdwinM and ponkine like this.
  15. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

7 and a half lp's

16. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I agree, but they are important since they offer writing credits for Wright and Mason... their first since '75 and '73, respectively.

Runicen, andrewskyDE, rontoon and 2 others like this.
  17. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

I agree too about their (non?)entertaining qualities but they're historically important in the post-Waters Floyd narrative. Wasn't it when recording those that they found a new way of working together, leading logically to the recording of TDB?

St. Troy, rontoon and floydfan2410 like this.
  18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

5 official releases/albums, if you want to get technical. It doesn't have to be the size and scope of The Early Years and I'm assuming that the price won't be either.

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Depends how big this set will be. It's about the Gilmour/Floyd years so I expect it will be three volumes packed inside one set.
    One volume per album period and live recordings. Probably would cost half the price of the Early Years box set.

RangerXT and amonjamesduul like this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Or a miniature model of Gilmour's candy-red Fender Stratocaster.

enro99, oneslip17 and Scope J like this.
  21. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I was very confused for a moment as to where you got the 5 from, until I realized you meant the Later period covered five. I thought you were trying to say the Early years only covered 5 albums!

22. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

Yes the early years covered 7 albums:
    Piper
    Saucer
    More
    Ummagumma
    AHM
    Meddle
    Obscured

And The Later Years will probably cover 5 albums:
    Momentary Lapse
    Delicate Sound
    Division Bell
    PULSE
    Endless River

23. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

The early years had of course much more non-album material. Add to that, that the band was in a more experimental phase, which makes a large box set possible.

24. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

I best get saving for this think im looking forward to this more than the early years

25. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

And then there’s the unreleased audio and also video content. It’s going to be lots of content.

andrewskyDE and rontoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.