Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

With the full uncut Comfortably Numb which makes the solo even better

Azza200 likes this.
  2. I didn't love the MLoR album, but the DSoT concert video and CDs were outstanding Some of my favorite versions of the tunes are on that.

3. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

For me it's the opposite: I have a soft spot for AMLoR but DSoT never did anything for me. The versions of Money and Another Brick in particular are - all imo of course - terrible.

TheKevster, Billy_Sunday and tedhead like this.
  4. Philrock90

Same here i like DSOT but Pulse is a lot better

5. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

My audio wishlist:
    A Momentary Lapse Of Reason:
    -demos and outtakes
    -early mixes (before LA sessions)

Delicate Sound Of Thunder:
    -the missing songs (Signs Of Life, A New Machine, Terminal Frost, On The Run, Great Gig, Welcome To The Machine, One Slip.

La Carrera Panamericana:
    -clean mix of the Olympic sessions

The Division Bell:
    -1993 demos (Big Spliff can be fine but I am actually more interested in the album demos)

Pulse:
    -proper mixes of the songs from the tour not on the album
    -alternate versions of some songs (Oslo 29/8/94 is personal wish)

6. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

This is the full uncut Comfortably Numb solo from DSOT. It would be awesome if they included the entire solo but i think we will get edited version from CD on the re-edited new cut of DSOT footage

uncut DSOT CN Solo

7. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Is the ratio of audio content to video content about the same as it was for the Early Years set?

8. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I would imagine the set would be packaged by 'era' and duplicate a chunk of stuff on the Immersion sets. The ones I have put a * next to have already been on various releases, albeit some in the cassette / VHS era.

DSOTM Alternate Studio Mixes*
    Wembley 1974*
    WYWH Alternate Studio Mixes
    Animals Studio / Extraction Mixes
    Pros + Cons Demos
    Wall Demos*
    La Magritte Soundtrack Recording
    Wall Soundtrack Recordings
    Final Cut Demos
    AMLOR Alternate Studio Recordings
    La Carrera Pan America Soundtrack*
    Division Bell Alternate Studio Mixes + Pulse Soundscape*
    Turin 1994
    Live 8 2005*
    Albert Hall 2006 (Nick Mason performed WYWH, and Comfortably Numb, at a Gilmour solo show - this was the last time Rick/David/Nick performed those songs together)

films of :
    Brighton 1972
    DSOTM / WYWH / Animals tour screen projections and animations
    Earls Court 1980-81
    Final Cut Film 1983*
    Atlanta 1987 DVD
    DSOT 1988 DVD*
    Still First In Space Documentary 1987-88 DVD [assuming they get the rights to it!]
    Venice 1989 DVD
    Knebworth 1990 DVD
    1994 live show (quite a few were filmed)
    Live 8 2005*
    The Story of Pink Floyd 1994 / Which One's Pink 2007 documentaries

TheKevster and Billy Infinity like this.
  9. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I like your thinking but there will be no Waters era material on this. I think you’re onto something with a few of your guesses though! ;)

SoundDoctor likes this.
  10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

A much better imagination than those producing this release. And yes, only post-Waters material.

11. I agree about those two. But the versions of Time, Us & Them, Run Like Hell, and Comfortably Numb are darn near definitive on that recording.

12. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

So will there ever be a 'middle years' set?

13. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Jesus Christ that was AMAZING :o
    But no way in hell we're gonna get this marvelous uncut version.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  14. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

The Gilmour-led Floyd never did Time justice in my opinion. Too much over-excited percusionist on it and not enough HI-HAT. The bass isn't quite right either and while I'm at it, too much flangy-effects on the guitar solo and not enough Big Muff. C-Numb and RLH are indeed pretty great.

15. For me, the vocal was MUCH better on this version, especially in chorus.

16. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

The thought is that the middle years were covered by the Immersion sets, and I suppose the missing piece ‘Animals’ will be addressed soon. Time tables and scopes for projects can change all the time (one of the reasons I don’t like seeing “official” before we actually get an announcement) but I don’t think it will be too long before everyone’s questions are answered.

17. AWESOM-O

AWESOM-O Forum Resident

Welp, there goes my excitement wadded up into a ball and thrown out the window... Downgrading it to a Day 2 purchase, dammit!

18. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

What is Time's chorus? Do you mean the parts where Rick sings?

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I was told that there were no “Animals tour screen projection films used.
    There were none at the 77 shows I saw anyway. Maybe some folks for them and some not.

20. Philrock90

I was reading Guy Pratts book the other day and he mentions about playing the whole AMLOR album live but i dont recall seeing this? Atleast not back to back anyway

21. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Right. Everyone I talked to who saw those shows said the Animals set was dominated by the inflatables. I recommend Gerald Scarfe's book where he shows some of the sketches he made for potential Animals animation, particularly for Pigs (Three Different Ones). It wasn't used since it apparently disturbed Roger, which is really saying something.

It is pretty creepy in that wonderfully disturbing Gerald Scarfe style.

Runicen and RAZORMADE like this.
  22. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

One slip? :whistle:

23. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

That would only leave The Final Cut not represented in any way.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  24. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I suspect The Final Cut and anything outstanding relating to The Wall [the prospect of a 5.1 mix and / or restored video footage of the original live shows] will be left to Roger Waters. The Wall Immersion set was a disappointment in comparison to the other two Immersion releases.

Going back to the forthcoming box set, there's plenty of material that must exist in decent quality. Echoes from the rehearsals / early shows? A restored DSOT is rumoured, and could look and sound wonderful, particularly if previously unreleased material is included. AMLOR in surround / high res, maybe with a new stereo mix, would also be good. The Venice show? Haven't seen it for a while. Great show, though Gilmour looked... how shall I put it... somewhat out of shape, to say the least. Pulse era stuff? While the fact that the Earls Court shows were filmed in SD / 4:3 puts limitations on picture quality improvements, a Blu Ray would still potentially have less compression than the original DVD with lossless audio. There must be some unreleased material; I don't think I've seen official video of Astronomy Domine from that tour, despite a number of shows opening with it (I accept that at least two audio only live versions were released). Any other tracks performed but unreleased?

Rontoon's suggestion of a lack of imagination on the part of those preparing the release isn't making me overly optimistic.

Still, they could always mistakenly release a 5.1 mix of The Wall on one of the Blu Rays.:rolleyes::cool:

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

That was a cheeky response to the post listing an unreasonable amount of material. I'm personally quite happy with the contents.

To confirm, no screen films were shown during the Animals set, only WYWH and the encores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.