Pink Floyd The Wall - Movie 1982 - recent Re-edit???

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mbe, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident Thread Starter

A thread started in the music section (now gone) asked the question if re-editing had been applied to the Movie releases post 2000,
    citing an Amazon U.S.A review stating changes had been made to accomplish a more enjoyable perhaps less taxing viewing experience.

This is the running order of songs from the DVD dated 1999 (rear of plastic slip-sleeve)

01 – The little boy that Santa Claus Forgot (Vera Lynn)
    02 – When The Tigers Broke Free pt1 / The little boy that Santa Claus Forgot reprise
    03 – In The Flesh? (Bob Geldof)
    04 – The Thin Ice
    05 – Another Brick In The Wall pt1
    06 – When The Tigers Broke Free conclusion
    07 – Goodbye Blue Sky
    08 – The Happiest Days Of Our Lives
    09 – Another Brick in The Wall pt2
    10 – Mother
    11 – Empty Spaces / What Shall We Do Now?
    12 – Young Lust
    13 – One of My Turns
    14 – Don’t Leave Me Now
    15 – Another Brick in The Wall pt3
    16 – Goodbye Cruel World
    17 – Is There Anybody Out there?
    18 – Nobody Home
    19 – Vera
    20 – Bring The Boys Back Home
    21 – Comfortably Numb
    22 – In The Flesh (Bob Geldof)
    23 – Run Like Hell
    24 – Waiting For The Worms
    25 – Stop! (including 5.11am lyric - moment of clarity)
    26 – The Trial
    27 – Outside The Wall

I also have a mid 1980’s UK VHS of the movie which I intend to check also at some point,
    as IMDb suggest it will be missing the Teacher being thrown into the bonfire;
    Pink Floyd: The Wall (1982) - Alternate Versions - IMDb

PH416156 likes this.
  2. Mbe

Correction: 25 – Stop! (including lyrics – Your Possible Pasts / 5.11am)

VHS still with receipt for £29.95 (price drop) and is VHS Hi-Fi Dolby Systems on Maxell Tape stock.
    [​IMG]

I don’t notice any differences in content between the UK VHS and 1999 dvd.
    So as far as re-edits between the two there aren’t any that I noticed, perhaps later dvd editions could have remove the scenes from the Dam Busters,
    other than that :shrug:

PH416156 likes this.
  3. Mbe

More likely there has been no deviation from the original release at all as the 25th anniversary edition also references the 1999 date.
    Oh well.

PH416156 likes this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

This is the guy's post on Amazon claiming the movie has been re-edited:

This is a reedit of the original - and a worthy one. The story I heard was that Waters and Parker wandered into a matinée showing of the original in London one afternoon, post-millennium, and were appalled at the film they'd made. What originally worked as genius, catering to a 70s and 80s crowd, no longer felt relevant to them. I suspect the original was intended to be seen in a somewhat, um, elevated state of mind (with chemical assistance).

They took it back to the editing room and recut it drastically, removing a ton of the droning, repetitive animation and paring it down to a very terse, very tight film.

I loved the original, don't get me wrong, but it was a bit of a hair-shirt of a film in spots.

This version is solid, tells the story better, and still has the impact of the original (but without the need for chemical assistance to appreciate it).

If you haven't seen it, get it.

"The story I heard" he says... I suspect he just rewatched the film (maybe after a few years) with this rumour in his mind and tricked himself into thinking it was different. Or he's just spreading BS. There is no information on IMDB or Wikipedia about them recutting the movie for a video release.

I find it hard to imagine Waters and Parker wandering into a matinee showing of the film any time this century. Why would they do that? Have they even spoken to each other since it was made? They weren't exactly friendly.

Roger has said in the past that he found the movie exhausting and wishes he'd put some humour in it... that may be what this guy is thinking of.

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yeah and I think there were some rewrites and reshoots before the movie came out, but nothing since. Still follows the sequence of the album and all.

6. Sound Mind

Sound Mind Forum Resident

Thanks everybody for your help. I guess I'll just buy the 2005 deluxe anniversary version :(

Mbe likes this.
  7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Apparently the film is getting a Blu-ray release this summer according to Floyd Podcast.

8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

About damn time.

9. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

Never noticed any editing, but back in the day (VHS and early TV showings), something I noticed that seemed to go unnoticed... Every copy on VHS and early showings on Mtv... had a very noticible (To me, anyway) left to right, horizontal image sway. I returned 3, sealed (when I bough them) video copies to the same (Suncoast Video) store in the 1990s. And each successive one had the sway. I finally kept one. Because there were no better copies. I taped it off of the first Mtv showing and it had the same, swaying image. No one else ever agreed with me... but come to my house and I'll show you the copies. When the first DVD finally came out, at last the image was stable. Has anyone else ever noticed this abnormality???

10. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

No I dont think mine sways,ill have to pay close attn nezt time I watch it..

I have the first VHS release (The first one is straight analogue,the newer ones are not)

Ill let ya know buddy!

11. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I'm sure this would have come up on one of the Floyd forums if it were true.

12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Sounds like the head alignment in your deck was off. Never saw or heard of this issue. I have the original VHS and re-releases, laserdisc and DVD.

13. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Well the old DVD has disappeared from Amazon and has dropped off streaming services, so I would imagine there’s something coming to replace it.

Edit: It appears the DVD is still available, but it’s still unavailable for streaming.

rontoon likes this.
  14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I just watched it again..... NO SWAYING,the image is stable.....

Thank you Drmark for giving me a reason to watch it again!! (I hadnt seen it in awhile)

Mbe likes this.
  15. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

Not to belabor this... but it was not any problem with head alignment on my VCR (of the day) As I offered... come to my house and I'll show you the PRO VHS and Mtv taping (on my latest VCR) with this abnormality... Yes, you'd think it was all over the forums, but it was not. But I swear to you this is real. I returned 3 MGM VHS, still sealed copies and every new one had the same swaying image.

16. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I sent you a PM drmark with the one I have that is stable :) (In case ya didnt see it)

17. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

I saw your post and appreciate your interest. If everything I've reported is accurate, try to imagine my position. I know what I've seen and I know what the general response has been. But if you saw my evidence, it would be a moot point. I tell ya, the VHS copies (viewed on multiple VHS players) and Mtv tapings wobbled, just like I said. I have no reason to misreport this.

18. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

You’re talking about gate weave - Telecine - Wikipedia

That was a real thing. Most people only notice it during credits but you may have been more sensitive to it.

19. JLMontague

JLMontague Member

OK, on a forum like this, my question might be like asking a mechanic who can't figure out a problem with a car if he tried kicking the tires. But if you're talking left-and-right "sway" on VHS and TV screenings...could it be a super aggressive and noticeable "pan and scan?"

Sometimes when a shot in a movie was blown up for a pan and scan release, someone not associated with making or editing the movie at all had to decide what the focal central point ought to be, and sometimes that could change within a single shot, so you'd get that sway effect going.

One random scene I remember - a scene from Speed after the opening elevator rescue scene, Keanu Reeves and Jeff Daniels are getting commendations, but they're having a whispering conversation while the ceremony is going on. It's a tight two-shot, so as Bridges is talking the focus is on him, and then there's this quick pan to Reeves as he begins talking, and because it was done in edit as opposed to in camera, the effect feels a lot like a "sway."

And I remember The Sound of Music being particularly egregious because those wide shots have so many people in them. Near the end of the tube tv era, when people were still suspicious they were "losing picture" with a widescreen image, I think there was a VHS re-release and tv airing where non-musical scenes were pan and scan, but the musical numbers, or scenes where there were lots of actors, all went widescreen so as to minimize that sort of pan and scan.

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, please take it for the helpful suggestion for which it was intended.

20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

AFAIK, the film has never been re-edited since its original release.

paulisdead and BeatleJWOL like this.
  21. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

No buddy I believe you.......... You must have 1 of the few copies that has this.... (Quite possible)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.