Pink Floyd The Wall on LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chooke, May 21, 2017.

1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Sort of. Even though they're all cut at TML, you'll find few sides in any single LP package that were even all cut on the same TML lathe. So there is going to be nuanced variability between pressings. To say one country's pressing is unquestionably superior based on anecdotal evidence is silly.

I happen to like my German copy over the US copy because they sound basically the same and is on noticeably quieter vinyl. I certainly can't say that's universally true for The Wall (but I would say it is generally true for 70's-80's era vinyl); I have no doubt there are some US copies that sound "better" than German copies (whatever that is) and vice versa.

pexie likes this.
  2. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

FWIW, I have a US that was bought early 80s at very latest, all 4 sides have TML stamped, with another initial.
    side 1 TML-M
    side 2 TML-S
    side 3 TML-M
    side 4 TML-M

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

M-Master S-Slave

latheofheaven likes this.
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Two different lathes at TML.

5. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

This is interesting:

6. paolo

paolo Senior Member

I think the original AU issue used TML masters. Later versions were recut but my copy from 1984 still has 2 of the 4 sides with TML lettering. The others have the standard SBPXXXXX matrix info inscribed with what I call a “seagull” marking. It looks like a child’s version of a bird in the sky - an elongated “M” if that makes any sense. Always wondered who that belonged to.

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The name escapes me, but I believe he worked in Allen Zentz’s house. I’ll see if I can track down the name.

Edit: It’s Brian Gardiner. I think he also used a flower looking marking as well.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    paolo likes this.
  8. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I have a Canadian copy, my first piece of Floyd vinyl actually in 2014 and it’s good enough that it’s the only album of theirs I haven’t bought in the new reissues series.

Chemguy likes this.
  9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

My early US with TML stamped on all four sides is the best I've heard.

latheofheaven and hi_watt like this.
  10. pmdclassics

pmdclassics Forum Resident

From my experience over the years the US TML version has an outstanding soundstage but the recycled, cheap vinyl used in those days does not hold up to even the slightest mishandling. Crackle galore. Maybe the foreign pressers used better quality vinyl and it is quieter??

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have a German copy. It has some ticks here and there, but has a much lower noise floor.

12. pmdclassics

pmdclassics Forum Resident

Good to know. I have lots of German presses in my collection and all are great including a recent purchase of The Beatles 1st press of the White Album. Plus they are priced less than Japan pressings.

13. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

I tried twice with UK copies and they are both riddled with crackle. Like a ridiculous amount. And the records "look" mint! I cleaned both copies several times.

Sorry, nothing constructive to add.

14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I have a tad bit of surface noise on my US copy, but not enough to distract from the great sonics. It's not as quiet as my 2016 Grundman reissue..........by the way, one could do a lot worse when it comes to the latest reissue. Not a bad option for $35 :pleased:

latheofheaven likes this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I forget to mention the German copy was a TML cut on just 3 of the 4 sides IIRC, but there was no discernable tonal, clarity or level difference in the side lacking the TML stamp. If I had to guess, I’d say it was also cut at TML but for whatever reason wasn’t stamped.

16. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Hi,

How early are your UK and AU versions? I have the two (x2UK), I think the Australian is not bad but when compared to the UK I couldn't say they sound similar at all.

To my ears the UK has a lot more going for it much better highs, lows and voices are much more defined than on the Australian version. My UK discs range around the 2U 3U numbers.

17. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

I have an original Australian press, nothing else to compare to but I think it sounds great.

Interesting that you liked the French, I have an original french press of a saucerful of secrets and it's dead quiet and sounds fantastic.

18. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The US TML is a powerful slab. I like the 2016 too. Time to give these a spin soon.

19. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

I have long since given up on finding a good vinyl copy of Pink Floyd's The Wall at the local record stores for under $20 or so, so I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a good one.

My question: What is the best vinyl pressing?
    I have seen plenty original U.S. vs original UK debates. I have also seen folks claim to have happily paid $200 for the Japanese pressing...

Not sure...

20. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I have not heard a US pressing but I have a fantastic early UK pressing and it is one of the best sounding pieces of vinyl I own, full stop. True jaw dropping, reference quality stuff. The early pressings have a plastic Pink Floyd The Wall sticker included with the album and also there are no band member credits on the right hand side of the inner gatefold - only "Words and Music - Roger Waters. Except..." and "Produced By David Gilmour, Bob Ezrin, Roger Waters". This the the one to go for.

GyroSE, Grootna and Nomadicarchivist like this.
  21. Echoes Myron

Have you heard the reissue? I think it is excellent. Right up there with the original US TML (of which I have a few).

The reissue had great clarity, particularly in the acoustic guitars and various sound effects. Does not lack any of the slam of the original (my test track for bass slam is "Run Like Hell").

It is difficult to find a quiet US pressing, particularly side 3 which most owners played the most!

22. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I've never heard a 1st press UK, but I always thought my copy I bought in 1980 sounded great. I have the newer LP remaster these days and it's pretty good, but I think the original was better. I lost to other bidders on Ebay repeatedly before settling on the newer 180g. The new one is packaged nicely IMO. The cardboard inner sleeves beat out the old cheap paper.

23. Echoes Myron

Agree it is a high quality package but I put the LPs in MOFI sleeves. Those cardboard inners are tough on vinyl.

24. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

A Japanese version was on the Absolute Sound Superdisc List for decades. That's the one I have and I feel no need for another. It's stunning. I don't have thecatalog number handy but I'll post it when I can.

Jam757, Nomadicarchivist and BigGame like this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Have the first American TML stamped 1979, and 1979 promo U.S. stamp vinyl the 2012 pressing and the 2016.

How do you like the 2016? Just asking.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018