Pink Floyd - Your Favorite CD Mastering of Each Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 22, 2010.

1. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Come on, be fair. It was a whole 96 min.

ricks likes this.
  2. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The old saying is true for good reason... it's not the heat it's the humidity.

RedWingfan likes this.
  3. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Well, before it really turns into irrelevance...

What's the general opinion on the best sounding cd's since the 2011 remasters?

4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

IMO the 2011 remasters are all I need. In particular I think Meddle and Animals have the best improvement in sound.

mikmcmee, Jam757 and YouKnowEyeKnow like this.
  5. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Just happened to order 2011 Animals remaster on Friday. Looking forward to it.

6. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

ricks, for now do you hold your statement or have you new favorites?

7. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I'm pretty happy with these...

Meddle: Toshiba-EMI, CP32-5032, Made in Japan
    Dark Side of the Moon: Toshiba-EMI, Black Triangle, CP35-3017, 1A1 Non-TO/Non-CDP, Made in Japan
    Wish You Were Here: CBS/Sony, 35DP 4, Made in Japan

Dave, kevin5brown and formu_la like this.
  8. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I see the US Harvest BF CDP 7 of DSOTM go for reasonable prices. Am I correct in that it has the same mastering as the non-TO?

9. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

With the price of the 35DP 4, you'd better be happy. It would be a bummer if you weren't.:D

10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Well, if it helps I might add this information: Back in Holland we used to have a mixture of original UK and US cd's (EMI & Columbia) and some remasters (the 1994 ones) and preferred the original discs over the remasters for a warmer presentation.

DirkGentlyUK, Dave and kevin5brown like this.
  11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I you put in the effort, you can find them in the bins for $10 or less. I have found the Japan for US 35DP-4 twice. That said, again and again, the Japan for ? Harvest black face does not suck and even the common five track US for US issue is a fine sounding CD for a fiver.

I enjoy my Japan for ? Harvest black face of Dark Side, it has the same mastering as the grail black triangle. Another disc found with some bin diving.

These are the only Floyd titles I have bothered to compare on.

12. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I have never come across the 35DP WYWH in the bins and believe me I put in the effort. If a little persistance paid, I doubt if anyone would pay 150 plus bucks for one.

john lennonist likes this.
  13. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Well, ain't that a surprise...
    Reading through several threads I've learned that several European 'remasters' of the early caralogue aren't remasters at all! :confused:
    That changes my perspective quite a bit.

14. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

One good thing to realize here is that whenever you decide to 'upgrade' your PF catalogue to fancy masterings, Black Triangles and WG's and the like: That same mastering might be on your good old UK or US disc. And for the newcomers: They can be had for around 10 bucks or even less on Ebay and Discogs.

All of that and 'More' you'll learn on Vernon's excellent Pink Floyd Archives site.

15. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

Re: WYWH

Could this have to do with the two-track Japan disc having pre-emphasis?

16. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

17. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident

What's the best sounding piper at the gates of dawn CD?

18. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Great thread with very knowledgeable input. Not sure I can clarify any definitive versions as this is highly subjective and system dependent. Here are my findings:

Dsotm- orig mofi cd-very warm tonal balance with at times overly exaggerated mid-bass on my system. Some prefer this. Again, personal preference. I also have SACD + 30th Lp. + Orig US lp. I'll let others tackle those. I listen to the SACD the most.

Animals-japanese import cd. Only cd version I own but nice balanced sound with exceptional clarity. Don't have it in front of me but it's from early 2000s I believe. Also have domestic lp. I prefer this version.

WUWH- Mastersound CD-somewhat polarising release but it beats my orig us Lp fwiw.

The Wall- orig mofi cd + orig us vinyl release. Virtual dead heat on my system. I tend to play the lp. Easier to digest with 4 sides.

19. Zomvid

Zomvid Delicate Genius

These are my favorite:
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Doug Sax remaster, 2nd choice the current 2011 remaster
    A Saucerful of Secrets - Japanese 2nd or 3rd pressing, Doug Sax remaster or the 2011 remaster
    More - 2011 remaster
    Ummagumma - 2011 remaster
    Atom Heart Mother - Japanese 1st pressing
    Meddle - MFSL UDCD 518
    Obscured by Clouds - Japanese CP32-5275 (1st or 2nd pressing)
    The Dark Side of the Moon - Doug Sax remaster (20th anniversary, etc.)
    Wish You Were Here - Doug Sax Mastersound CD
    Animals - Japanese 1st pressing and 2011 remaster
    The Wall - Blackface CDs (CDP 7 46036 8)
    The Final Cut - Japanese 1st pressing (pre-emphasis)

20. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Piper at the Gates of Dawn is one of my favorite Pink Floyd Albums, a masterpiece with psychedelic beauty.

I love the original 1987 UK cd // CDP 7 46384 2 . Barcode 0 77774 63842 5
    The 1994 cd remastered by Doug Sax is also an excellent option.

For me the 2011 remastered sounds too clear , clean and a bit cold.

c-eling and Meddle like this.
  21. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that? When I directly compared the ’94 Sax/Guthrie to the ’11 Guthrie, they were for all intents and purposes identical. The same is true for Saucerful, the only difference being that the levels of “Jugband Blues” have been raised.

22. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

The 2011 cd has different peck levels than the 1994 cd , I think that the EQ is also different

2011 cd : 87.0 / 82.2 / 82.2 / 87.0 / 87.0 / 87.0 / 87.0 / 87.0 / 86.8 / 87.0 / 87.0
    1994 Doug Sax : 100 / 91.3 / 100 / 93.3 / 96.9 / 92.4 / 100 / 87.5 / 85.1 / 80.5 / 100

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  23. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

i think the 2011s are great for pretty much all of the albums. i think the only alternatives i like better are the sacd for wish you were here and the mfsl udcd for the wall.

TheRealMcCoy likes this.
  24. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

This.

I was just listening to my 1987 EMI/UK copy, and it's a bit loud. I haven't checked the DR but it feels a bit compressed. I too am curious what the preferred CD mastering is....

Meddle likes this.
  25. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

The 1994 Sax masterings of "Piper" and "Saucerful" are about as close to perfect as you could ask for. Exemplary even.

Perhaps I am mis-remembering in regards to the 2011's, but I don't remember them being all that much different, so I was neither disappointed or impressed, except in the sense that Guthrie was wise to leave well enough alone.

And I'm not sure if the 1994 Sax masterings were ever released in Europe. Supposedly they re-cycled the crappy 1987 masterings until the very end, despite upgrading the artwork to show the Sax mastering credit.

George P and Billy_Sunday like this.