Pink Floyd's album The Dark Side Of The Moon has been voted the greatest rock album on Louder

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve M., Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Greatest album ever recorded.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  2. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

I often think what is voted as a 'Best Ever' isn't even one of the bands best albums, let alone best ever.

I put 'Pet Sounds' in that category too, often appears on 'best ever' lists but not even the Beach Boys best album to my ears.

I absolutely hate the song 'Money', I know everyone else loves it, it's a dirge to me. So DSOTM is always going to have big minus points.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think Zep IV, Appetite and Back in Black make sense because - isn’t Louder! a publication that leans more towards the hard rock/metal side of classic rock? They wouldn’t usually vote for Pet Sounds.

4. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

OK. Go ahead. Name the punk albums that should have made the top 10. Or even the top 50.

5. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

I think a legitimate question why one Rolling Stones album as I view them as one of the reasons why Classic Rock exists in the first place IMO?

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

This listing for obvious reasons has an emphasis on rock albums which perhaps explains some pretty obvious omissions - no Bob Dylan for example. It is interesting though for a completely free choice by anyone not just critics. It would be interesting to get a wider audience to take part in such a poll.

I was reading a piece by Jeremy Clarkson today bemoaning the state of modern music and I realise that he is not shall we say shy and retiring in his opinions. However, being tucked up in bed with flu I thought I would check out the current top 10 singles in the UK courtesy of a video rundown. This is something I have not done for years but I thought I would give it a go. I was shocked at how poor it was. Basically fashion shoot videos with extremely formulaic studio productions with the most trivial, mirror gazing lyrics imaginable. Tunes? I think that maybe Jeremy is right. Where are the angry young men (and women) bands of the past who had something to say? Perhaps we are all suffering from years of TV talent shows to the extent where no-one has anything to aspire to. Surely the youngsters of today cannot be satisfied with this?

Man at C&A and JulesRules like this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Can't argue that. I wish Appetite had been #1 in the list of this thread.. :D

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  8. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I knew it already, but the rest of the list ?

formu_la likes this.
  9. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

What does the current top 10 singles in the UK have anything what so ever to do with voting for the greatest rock album ever.
    What exactly would be the classification for (for example) Bob Dylans Highway 61 Revisted album

10. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Iron Maiden?

Deek57 likes this.
  11. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

There should be a few in the top fifty. I think London Calling scraped in but a lot of those punk albums rescued us from a very overblown and tedious period. Something had to happen and it did. You only have to check out the John Peel festive fiftys for the late seventies to see what a seismic effect those bands had at the time on music. Musically they may have been somewhat lacking in range but that did not matter at all. Spin the first Clash album or the opening salvo from Stiff Little Fingers or tbe Sex Pistols album and you can immediately hear an urgency and enthusiasm that is sadly lacking today. The scene was wide ranging too and although they may not be strictly punk, albums by Elvis Costello, XTC and The Only Ones were important. And while we are at it where is Marquee Moon by Television!

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

The singles top 10 was an aside based on Mr Clarkson moaning about the state of modern music. So no it does not have anything to do with rock music other than to point out that we did used to have rock music and other genres appearing in the charts back in the day. Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy etc. did issue singles and made an impact.

I would class Highway 61 as a rock album. Blonde on Blonde also would regularly top rock albums of all time listings in the past. Either deserve to be in a rock all-time chart. I'm sure they would both have been voted for somewhere in that poll.

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  13. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

^^^^^
    Also surprised there was no Hendrix or Creem in the Top 50. I'd pick either of the first two Hendrix albums and Creem's Disraeli Gears over a lot of other entries.

NYSPORTSFAN and dormouse like this.
  14. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Years of touring the world behind some great albums has paid off. They’re still a very popular band.

Roberto899, Man at C&A and Sondek like this.
  15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

You say that like you think they don't deserve to be there.

The Number of The Beast is certainly not out of place near the top of a greatest rock album list. Then there's more of their albums outside of the top 10, Powerslave at number 31, and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son at number 45. All well loved, popular Iron Maiden albums, and all deserving of being in the top 50.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  16. darkmage

darkmage Through Doors of Moonlight

Yes. Number, Piece of Mind, Powerslave and 7th Son are all excellent. Heavy metal albums don't come much better to my ears.

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

[​IMG]

Love Number and Powerslave, 7th Son. Incredible 80's metal albums. I like Puppets as well.

Man at C&A and Sondek like this.
  18. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

In the entire history of rock music, how did anyone at all beat Guns 'n Roses for the greatest rock album of all time? Ridiculous that they only ranked #2.

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Ya know I always say there are better albums than Appetite For Destruction but ya know Appetite should of been #1. I love Appetite as it gets better with every listen it ages like fine wine.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  20. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Appetite For Destruction is great, but I think Dark Side of The Moon is deserving of the top spot.

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Either album could of been # 1. Dark Side is incredible and has been for many years since 1973.

22. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I think Nirvana's Nevermind deserves to be in the top 10 of a list like this as well.

D-rock and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  23. Psychedelic Good Trip

[​IMG]

Another album that has aged well. Great album indeed.

Sondek likes this.
  24. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

But it doesn't really rock, now does it?

25. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

How are you defining rock?

JulesRules likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.