Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" deserves to be..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

...the next Floyd album to receive SACD treatment after 'Dark Side'

Why, 'cause I say so, that's why.....so there!! :D :D :D
    (i really think it would be a GREAT choice)

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

If the SACD of DSOTM goes like hotcakes in a tourist town at Denny's, then you best believe it will possibly happen. It's all up to EMI, but let's HOPE!!

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I wish 'Animals' one day gets a nice audiophile release...

Todd

4. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Funny you should mention this, khorn.

I was just listening to my two different Japanese releases of this — one from the eighties that sounds dismal, and one from the late nineties in one of the cardboard LP mini-jackets (complete with black outer shrink wrap just like the album) that sounds even worse. IMHO the original UK LP is the only decent way to listen to this album so far, so I would definitely buy this one the day it was released.

Ditto Ummagumma, Meddle, The Wall, etc., but who wouldn't? :)

5. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I have a Japanese LP of WYWH and it sounds quite wonderful. I also have an original US quad LP of it... which is sort of cool because there's some extra music at the end of the second side. I have the UK card-sleeve CD and don't remember it sounding that bad but, I generally go back to the vinyl, anyway.

Cheers,
    Chris

6. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

I second that. I feel it is one of the underrated Floyd titles. It is one of my faves.

Brian

7. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I like it better than DSOTM...:eek:

8. btomarra

I like WYWH better than DSOTM. It has a warmer more inviting feel. I guess I'm burned out on Dark Side...though I still like it.

Brian

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I have a home-made DTS Surround copy of WYWH and it does sound fantastic.
    It would make a great DVDA/SACD surround disc.

During the song "Welcome To The Machine" my whole house shakes when those machines kick in...having 2 subs going at full blast helps this effect.:D

JohnG

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

If there will be a next Floyd title, I can assure you it will be The Wall. Have you turned on the radio in the last 1 1/2 years and not heard several cuts ala clear channel-- from this record. Anyway- I remain in the Animals camp on vinyl. One amazing sounding record.

11. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

A few years back when I was kickin' an EQ'd 300 wpc through my Khorns there was a clock that regularly fell off the back wall when I played that cut!

12. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

WYWH is fab in surround, nothing beats the Q8. The vinyl decoded just is not as discrete, but it does have a bit of extra music at the end of side 1 as mentioned above.
    Animals really needs the surround treatment, one was done but never released....and they should use the 8-track mix of that too, with the extended Pigs On The Wing.
    An amazing album, even if Dogs is a bit too long;)

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Animals is probably the least played out of the 4 great Floyd albums (DSOTM/ WYWH/ ANIMALS/ The Wall).

You never hear it on Classic Rock Radio and it really never had a hit song off it.

The Wall is done to death on Classic Rock Radio. Worst than DSOTM.

JohnG

14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

sgb said;
    referring to PF's WYWH
    The Lp came with a blue shrink wrap, with PF sticker.
    We should have a shrink wrap contest.
    With Scorpions etc...

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Opnions on the best sounding Wish You Were Here?

16. Matt

Matt New Member

How does the gold CD compare with the current remastered disc?

17. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Frack it! Just put the whole damn catalogue out on SACD! I love 'em all to a great degree!

18. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

I have both the CBS MasterSound 1/2 speed LP and the Gold Sony MasterSound CD of WYWH. The CD is the winner!

Pretty much all the CBS 1/2 speed LPs I have had usually had some distortion and were harsh.

19. Matt

Matt New Member

Tim,

There's a MFSL website a lot of people here have visited that has a lengthy interview with one of the founders of MFSL. He talks a bit about CBS 1/2 speed Lp's, and he addresses the issue you're having with them. They did something wrong in the cutting or mastering that messed them all up. Have you seen it? (I forgot where it is, but I'm sure someone here will have a link).

20. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Big stamper variations for the half-speed WYWH. Some smoke.

21. btomarra

True! Sheep is used on Floyd compilations (Echoes, Dance Songs), but Pigs (three different ones) is outstanding! The best track IMHO. "Ha! Ha! Charade you are!"

Brian

:cool:

22. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

I'd like to see The Wall next, myself.

Best.
    Album.
    Ever.

And I'd like to know about it a couple of weeks before anyone else, so I could still unload my MFSL version at a premium.

23. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Columbia apparently didn't back the EQ or Dolby down an octave while cutting at half-speed, which resulted in some zippy cuts. Contrary to what was said in the interview, they caught on eventually. Note quite a few of the titles were repressed with different catalog numbers. A few of their half-speeds are the best versions available to this day, IMO. Most aren't, though.

I'd repost that link, but every time I do, folks who haven't seen it start asking about the master tape goof with "The Dark Side Of The Moon". Better to let that one die off. The masters are just dandy.

24. Ian

Ian Active Member

I think I'll just wait for "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn". Granted they're all great albums but that one is my personal fave.

25. Matt

Matt New Member

Hey, didn't South Park quote that line once? Never heard the album until after I saw that episode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.