Pioneer PL530 Turntable cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Muffinbutt, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any recommendations for cartridge? Still has original tone arm and head shell. Just got this recently and I am kind of a dummy when it comes to cartridges and putting a new one on. Thanks for any advice.

2. twelvealo

twelvealo Forum Resident

i’d go with the audio technica vm95 series. i have a pioneer pl-560 and put a vm95ml on it with the stevenson alignment..very little to no IGD and you can run about 800-1000 hrs on it

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Boltman92124 and Muffinbutt like this.
  3. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I believe there are many cartridges that will work well with that TT. You didn't mention a price range, so I'll provide you with a small sample of what I have found.

First, I've read the recommended cart weight range for that TT is between 4 to 10 grams. That should provide you many options. And, I, have assumed you are looking for an MM cartridge.

So, I've read that the Audio Technica carts from the VM line such as the VM540ML, and the VM540EN are options. I would assume that recommendation would include the VM95 series of cartridges from Audio Technica which use similar stylus from the VM line.

Also mentiond was the Grado line of MM cartridges such as the Grado Green as a decent pairing with your table.

The Ortofon 2M line was also mentioned, starting with the 2M Red, and the 2M Black.

There are probably many more.

I can say I've used many of the above mentioned carts and have found the ATVM540ML to be my favorite. However, I do not have your particular TT. I'm using the Audio Technica AT LP7.

The cost of that ML is about $250 per the VM line, 95ML from the VM95 line is about $200. The difference of those two lines is primarily with the carts.

Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Pythonman, Muffinbutt and twelvealo like this.
  4. Muffinbutt

I’m willing to go from 250-500 range. Thanks for the choices. I did a search on here and if seemed like Grado did well with this TT as well

5. Lenny99

Yes

The research I did mentioned the Grado MM carts. I've never used a Grado, but they seem to gather their share of supporters.

I found the AT offerings sufficient for my needs. The ML us a great MM cart. The VM540ML is supposed to be superior to the VM95ML due to the cartridge. I can't say, I've never heard the 95ML.

Before you buy, do a lot of research into the cart of which you have leaned. I'd check on various reviews concerning sound, reliability, and ease & cost of replacement.

Muffinbutt likes this.
  6. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Had a Grado Black on mine not expecting much. But wow! It tracked perfectly, sounded great and had no listening fatigue inducing IGD. Great arms on that generation of Pioneer tables.

7. Muffinbutt

Grade black 3 cartridge? I’m thinking of trying Grado black and VM95ML

8. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Whatever the Grado Black model was in 2004ish. That’s when I bought it new for $30

9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The cart that comes with that TT is a really good one. What are you trying to improve? I really distrust modern cart quality.

BrentB likes this.
  10. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Empire 2000 (or similar) and a Jico Stylus.

11. Muffinbutt

It came with basic Audio Technica ATN3600L

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    The Pinhead likes this.
  12. Stanton56

Stanton56 Forum Resident

LP Gear elliptical stylus for that cartridge. $35 right now on sale. Cheap and sounds great.

Lenny99, The Pinhead and Muffinbutt like this.
  13. Muffinbutt

Thanks for the info. I may get this to just have a back up. I’d like to try something more high end this go around.

14. Lenny99

That sounds like a good idea. That 3600 has a great rep. Surely hood enough for a backup.