Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. My ProJect The Classic did indeed come with it's own protractor. But I chose to use the Ortophon I bought from TruntableandNeedles (a fine place BTW). I think these are all so imprecise and you do as good as you can, and I doub't you're ever "spot on." Pro-ject doesn't have an actual headshell gauge like Technics and all of the old turntables I sold did. So how you know you've begun at the right starting point, I'll never know.

So The Classic came today. FED-EX ,who charges more, while being IMHO less careful than either UPS or USPS. He set it on my front porch door, didn't knock, or ring the doorbell. But that's another story.

Audio Advisor called this a demo the salesman said it was a customer return. The only evidence of that was a mar on the brushed aluminum on the top plinth by the transit screw. Doesn't show it's underneath the platter. Every thing else is pristine and some of the bags (like the power supply) didn't even look opened. When together very quickly & easily. Came with a premounted Ortophon 2M-Silver. I reset my Van Altine Vision Q to MM. Played a bit of San Lorenzo from Pat Methany Groups first album. Within a minute I knew there was no need to continue. But there was no hum. NO HUM. I began the task of changing out the Ortophon for my AT-OC/9II. I totally get why folks gravitate to detachable SME type headshells. It's a real bugger installing a valuable cartrideg with a no replaceable stylus. I got it in with the help of my lovely wife. During the operation I once again realized that my inherent unsteadiness of hand precluded me from surgery. Anyway I reset my Pre for MC and played. Turned on motor..No Trun on Thump heard no hum. Played San Lorenzo again. Sounded great. Played the second song and rested the tone arm and cranked the volume control and up way high (at what would be beyond ear shattering I noticed a bit of hum, way below the PLX-1000 astronimically way below the Denon VL12. No comparison.

I thought I would check and see how the volume of the Turntable hrs the TV and CD. It was way louder and the same volume. I thought I'd best reset the Van Alstine from 60 to 54 Db gain. Well it turns out I had gotten dip switch 4 and 5 ON/OFF reversed and I had set it up for 66 Db gain. Reset to 60. No hum, quite.

Initial Build comparison (to certainly be revised) Pro-Ject v Pioneer. Project looks great as in more classy and refined and more delicate. Pioneer is still IMHO built like a tank, and will probably last longer. it was al;so much easier to set up balance and align the cartridge, and cool to have an easy change of cartridges. And to buy a much better headshell with far better connecting wires to the cartridge. But basically I'm a one woman man and a one cartridge at a time listener. I can't afford to try out things I can't return just for fun. ( gigging more than get's us by but not to that extent). I also miss the way the little white light made a way cool shadow of the tonearm and cartridge on the wall behind. It was like watching the moon go across the sky. My wife and I both dug that. And the heft and feel of the PLX-1000 is great!

But I/we really love the look of the Project and it fits our decore and shelf better. And I'm used to a delicate turntable. The Project is less bouncy and prone to skipping when you walk by. I had to really try. That is good. My wife & I were both afraid to walk anywhere near the AR.

Intial thoughts on sound. The Project overall is a bit better I think. The high end is less strident than the PLX and the midrange seems smoother a bit more layered and deep Harmonies seem to be coming from two or more physically disconnected human beings . Awhile back someone posted I might like the "more organic"sound of a belt drive. I think this was spot on. Listening to the bagpipes on Mull Of Kintyre on a new Paul McCartney 4 LP collection. The Pipes are rich and awesome, very reedy but without a hint of stridency or sibilance. A more relaxed overall vibe. Larger sound stage in every direction. And more inner detail air and space between the larger bodies and instruments making music in my living room. I think there are many reasons, but I'm certain the aleviation of hum plays a part as I though it would.

Now I also understand why Herb Reichert raved about the PLX-1000. The attack of the bass & kick drum demanded more attention, but more like a bigger than life wanted kiss, than a swift kick in the backside. And the forward drive is something. I'm not certain it was more accurate but it was great fun. If not for the hum I would have kept the PLX-1000 and loved it for many years as I'm certain all of its fans will. I would even recommend the PLX-1000 to folks. I really hurt to send it back.
    Thank God more listening is required and perhaps a bit more overhand & arm tweeking. This is where the PLX-1000 arm height adjustment was so great and easy. (Any thoughts on my old reliable but now absent GEODISC? It seems there are as many for as against any particular tool or math.

I am thankful the PLX-100o hummed and my system caught it. Folks said ditch the OC/9II for an MM no problem. But I love the OC/9II it was bought and paid for and non returnable. And by the way while the bass has more impact on the PLX, listening to Paul McCartney's bass the Pro-ject defines it better and highlights the melodic style that is uniquely his. And BTW it is a bit easier to follow one musician or instrument in the the mix. So I am thankful the PLX-1000 hummed. And though I worked like H to eliminate it to no avail, I eventually sent it back, and now have better sound to rediscover music on these vinyl discs I've refused to sell over the years because I knwe they sounded better than digital to me. And now I am again actively seeking out LPs. Thank you all for you indulgence, insights, advice, and patience with this, experienced yes, armed with enough knowledge to be dangerous, hack.

H8SLKC likes this.
  2. May I say that while I had problems with 4 different truntables form 2 dealers Guitar Center (2) PLX-1000s) and Musicians Friend (PLX-1000 #1 and (1)Denon VL12). Both dealers dealt with me in a truly professional matter. True to their word they both took the turntables back at no cost to me. They have both earned my continued business. I would also like to thank the person from Pioneer DJ online forum who spent several days communicating with me about the hum issues, and is still trying to find an answer.

The other folks I would like to shout out for their product, service, and human patience are: The Needle Doctor (My Twin Cities), Turntable and Needles (Corvallis OR, I also lived there) Turntable Lab, Vinyl Engine. Dave @ Vinyl Nirvana & George Merril @ GEM Dandy (who both provided good advice on my AR The Turntable, and Audio Advisor who sold me my, full warranty pristine demo, The Classic at a cost that was in my pre determined price range.

Manimal, FashionBoy, rtrt and 2 others like this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The answer to PLX1000 hum is interaction with MC cartridges. Likely it could be eliminated if they put shielding round the frame transformer on the main board. As far as bass is concerned you have to invest in a serious belt drive design to equal it. The Orbe does just about but it is a more organic nuanced type of bass as is the overall presentation. To someone less attuned to hi-fi reproduction the difference (using a far cheaper phono stage and cartridge with the pioneer) is not so great but the subtle differences in resolution and presentation with greater smoothness and lower vinyl background noise add up to something far superior. However that is achieved at approaching ten times the expenditure.

The Pioneer does remain quite a bargain (especially with a top quality MM and phono stage) but they should sort out transformer shielding for better compatibility with MC designs. I am using the Pioneer with an £80 cartridge and £160 phono stage (more typical of what the average owner may use in this price bracket) with very pleasing results ( in the context of having something in the 'affordable high end' bracket to compare directly).

rtrt likes this.
  4. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I used my PLX-1000 with an MC and had no issues.

H8SLKC likes this.
  5. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Interesting direction on the thread last few pages.

I currently run a HOMC on my PLX with no hum - still really enjoying the table and happy with my purchase.

I'd be interested in peoples views on the practicality of diy transformer isolation - just thinking ahead for any future MC use & hum problems that might show up then.

H8SLKC likes this.
  6. Classicrock

It may be dependent on make. Issues reported so far have been AT (both mine and Mark's). I found annoyance depended on phono stage used and earthing. The level is such you notice with vol turned up to about average listening level and standing close to speakers. Switch the TT power on an off and it will come and go. Not noticeable when playing music but it must have some effect. I can see some not noticing it but can't see it's related to some faulty samples given Mark's problems.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  7. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

My A/T OC9ML/II was fine as was my Zu DL-103.

8. Classicrock

Could be related to different voltages or just equipment combinations? Are you using the stock headshell or an upgrade?

9. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'm not sure. I was using a Jelco HS-2o headshell, so more mass and better wiring than stock.

10. I alos had an AT-OC/9II with the Jelco HS-20 which was a great combination sonically. But I also use the stock PLX headshell with my 30 year old yet brand new Adcom CrossCoil HOMC. Both hummed on the PLXs. Neither my AR or my new Project hum so. I konw the hum was in the turntables. Like I said I was bummed that I had to let the PLXs go...until I heard my new Project with my AT.

11. Christian Goergen

Christian Goergen Active Member

Hello Mark, RELATED TO POST #1944
    I fixed the hum problem. I did not connect the grounding cable with the screw on the amp chassis, but connected the cable with a crocodile clamp, which I attached to my idle rca plug (pre out, don't know if that matters.)
    Pioneer plx, shure sc35c, Rotel ra 1062. when I change the source, I have to remove the crocodile clamp, I don't mind.

12. emremusic

emremusic Well-Known Member

Hello PLX 1000 Community,
    I've just ordered my Plx-1000 from Guitar Center after reading the positive reviews. It should be here on Monday. I will be using it with an ortofon red. I've read about the problems with the tone arm and the recent hum. I will let you know how mine turns out. My wife and I are both working musicians, and this will be our first turntable.

bluemooze and Billy Budapest like this.
  13. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

If you do, try to let us know when your table was manufactured. The date appears on a sticker on the back of the table, above the serial number.
    Mine was manufactured in October 2016 and is fine.

14. emremusic

emremusic Well-Known Member

I will let you know. It will like arrive on Monday. I will take it to a local hifi shop for the to have the cartridge installed, and have them look through it.

Are you happy with your Plx? It seems like some people made a big fuss over the tonearm wobble (mainly on few audiophile sites really), however if it was truly a big deal there would be a product recall, a more direct mention of the issue by the magazines, or a statement release by Pioneer. I think there are A LOT of these Plx-1000s being sold, compared to other turntables. Just of the sheer numbers of PLXs out there, some of them should be lemons, just like any other product.

Also, is the wobble really a BIG deal? Was it left that really because some DJs prefer the wobble, and it was left like that intentionally? Can we tell tell the difference in sound?

15. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

The plx-1000 is excellent. I just had to tighten the tonearm slightly. And I mean so so slightly. It sounds great.

Helom likes this.
  16. Helom

Helom Forum member

Just keep in mind that the Ortofon 2M Red will not bring out the best a PLX has to offer. My experience with the 2M Red was very uninspiring. I wouldn't judge the quality of any table using that cartridge. I think the PLX is deserving of a cart in the $400 to $1000 range, if you have a proper functioning example.

HiFi Guy and Brother_Rael like this.
  17. CAPTSLOW

CAPTSLOW New Member

I have owned a Pioneer PLX 1000 for the past 6 months. I had my local hifi shop install a new cart. They recommended a Nagaoka MP-110 over the Ortofon 2m red. I am glad I went that way as the Nagaoka sounds quite good to me. I would like to upgrade the cart later when my budget allows. yes this unit is made in China, but Pioneer put a bit of work into it. I have no issue with this turntable I really enjoy it.

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yep. Could never get the love for it over any other cartridge at that price range of which there's many. Suspect many a magazine review helped though...

Helom and HiFi Guy like this.
  19. Black Jack

Black Jack New Member

you won't have much of an issue with this turntable, other than wobbly tonearms and isolation, unless you are a DJ, which is the market it is aimed at...if you are a DJ, you will end up having an issue with this turntable, after being used to Technics for many years.

If it is just a hifi table with all the top end stuff connected, it will be ok, sound is good, it's the better built out of the hanpins.

20. A follow up. A week or so back I got a brand new Marantz TT15S1. I got a smoking deal direct from Marantz, because I still work a couple dozen days a year at my last full-time audio/video shop. The TT15S1 smokes all of the turntables I've tried. It is built better (especially the tonearm). As easy, if not easier, to mount a cartridge on than the PLX or the VL 12. It is so much quiter than the PXL-1000 the VL12, and noticably quiter than My 1983 AR, and The Classic. The first night we had it, my wife & I listened to the Beatles Revolver. "It sounds like the Beatles are in the room!" My wife's exact words. The Pro-Ject The Classic is back in the hands of Audio Advisor. I am waiting for the custom made (locally) Dust cover (1/3 the price of those I've seen at the Turntable dealers). I am happy and getting to hear the Clearaudio Virtuoso wood sound better with each LP. Still a long way to go though before broken in. This is the table I had my eyes on from the beginning, but at $1499 it was out of my pre authorized price range. I am quite happy and my hunt is over and I spent well under my $1000.00 Target. Though I guess not if my time has any value. Do I still wish I could have a $30,000 VPI DD & Lyra Atlas. You bet. I also wish I could have the KEF Blades and the Bryston SST cubed Pre & Power Amps they have on demoing at my HiFi store. But such is life. I have a fine system that I have carefully, and quite economically, put together over the last 18 years or so. It brings quality musicians into my home, and I can still afford my home, and food.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    dolsey01 and patient_ot like this.
  21. Classicrock

The Marantz in similar form has been around for some years and has gone under the radar of late. Noticed it is being discounted recently but you got a bargain there. At UK prices I would have recommended the Technodec plus Rega RB330 which is similar price over here. I take it by quieter you are referring to noise floor / lack of surface noise rather than hum issues. Better damped platter likely accounts for this. Something quite obvious listening to the Michell Orbe against the PLX1000. Sounds like the Project Classic is in fact pretty poor value sound wise as it is £800 in the UK. I suggest also investigating a really good phono stage which can have as big an effect as large TT upgrade in terms of bass extension and dynamics. The NVA made the PLX1000 almost sound high end with a decent MC fitted but always a slight hum.

22. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

If your table is not isolated, you can hear the chatter through the tonearm.

23. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Mark

Great choice at a bargain price. Your Marantz TT15S1 was designed by Marantz and is built for them by Clearaudio. Son, you did good...............very good. Looks great as well.

24. kharp1

kharp1 New Member

I've been reading through many of these pages on the PLX and decided to purchase one as an entry point back in to tables after 30+ years/. Was wondering it the spindle can be replaced with a threaded spindle for use with a threaded clamp? Forgive me is this is "dumb newb" question, or, has been asked previously.I didn't read every page but most if them and didn't see it referenced. Thx.

25. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

No but the michell clamp should work.