Pixar: Lightyear - June 17-2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Oct 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I again go back to the Alex Jones quote: "I don't like 'em putting chemicals in the water that turn the freakin' frogs gay!: except replace "chemicals" with "gay kisses", "water" with "media" and "frogs" with "children". Thus my thinking that you actually seem to think that's what's happening and that's why these kind of things bother you.

Oatsdad likes this.
  2. You’ve completely taken the Spock quote - a character in a franchise where LGBTQ+ rights are championed, by the way - out of context; the character was sacrificing his life to save the lives of many. Two consensual fictional adults sharing a peck on the cheek surely cannot be of such great concern as the saving of thousands lives in those fictional worlds. Do you honestly put the two actions on the same scale?

Oatsdad and 905 like this.
  3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Sacrifice is the common thread.

Hollywood in general is very promotional of LGBTQ+. I'm rewatching White Lotus, so not averse to it. Just leave it out of kids' stuff please. This isn't the only Disney film and a peck on the cheek is not the extent of it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Eh, it was a cable TV show. I personally wouldn’t consider it canon but I guess some might. As for me, only the theatrical movies count as canon for the films because I never watched the TV version of Buzz. I can view the TV show and the movies as two different interpretations of the same character. Kind of like the CW Flash and the Flash in the movies or the various Superman movies vs all the cape crusader cartoon shows. Also, I really don’t care what happened to Buzz in the tv show. ;)

Oatsdad likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree that it's probably silly to discuss inconsistencies and "canon" with a film/series like this.

But hey, this is a discussion forum for nerds who get hung up on trivia, so what else am I supposed to do? :D

Pizza likes this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

8. I got to hand it to you, quoting Spock to try and justify silencing and further marginalizing a minority is pretty original. Somewhere out there in the far future on a distant planet, Spock just had a gag reflex.

BeatleJWOL and audiomixer like this.
  9. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

And that’s a good thing. A lot of kids (including myself) have gay parents and/or family members. It’s important for them to see that normalized and accepted in popular media. Sorry if you disagree, but you’re free to take your money and eyeballs elsewhere.

The thing that really bugs me about Hollywood is the constant beating, murder, and resurrection of the horse, rinse, repeat. New stories and ideas please! This movie had no reason to exist.

White Lotus was fantastic. Can’t wait for season two!

HadgeTunes, Oatsdad, 905 and 4 others like this.
  10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Might I ask why you are so fearful?
    I "fear" murder and violence" over a same-sex kiss.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    905, intv7 and Pete Puma like this.
  11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

ABSOLUTELY!!!

905 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  12. simonux

simonux Custom Title

Not that bad, but 2nd half "big" reveal is a mess with no credible explanation.

13. Posted before the thread was closed because people can't help themselves from posting their ignorance:

1000% agree with reviews that pomtifacate a young boy wouldn't be excited to get a toy from this film in the Nineties.
    Nonetheless, enjoyed the flick & will watch again tonight.
    Detail of an early shot of Buzz's hand on the controls drew me into the visuals & many details though out were well done IMO.
    The uproar on the internet about Allen, who originally voiced the toy, not being the actual Buzz in this film is silly & shortsighted.
    However, "Toy Story 2" depicting the Buzz Lightyear video game [one of the best opening scenes/right up there with many "Bond" flicks/IMO], kinda setup Allen previously being the voice of Buzz as well!!
    Enjoyed the soundtrack too, though nowhere near the best of the best in the 21st Century.

It doesn't compare well with the "Toy Story" [where toys are toys] franchise & never thought it would.

"It's Just A Movie"
    :p

Leviethan likes this.
  14. vvmax

vvmax Forum Resident

I thought it was decent, better than Toy Story 4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.