Pixar's "Finding Nemo" opens tomorrow! (Friday)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

I get pretty excited every time a new Pixar movie opens. This one looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

Down in Denver at the United Artists on Colorado, Blvd, they'll be showing this movie digitally on their new DLP projector. :thumbsup:
    Can't make it down this weekend, but hopefully I can the week after.

Dan C

2. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Yeah, Pixars are pretty darned amazing. I'll definately take the girls to see this one! Then, it's countdown 'till DVD release :thumbsup:

3. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Not sure when it opens over here - but the Trailers looked very good and it is already on the lookout list for a DVD pre-order :)

All the best - Andrew

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I love big-screen animation, but it's sometimes difficult to convince my friends to go along. I plan on seeing Nemo this weekend, come hell or high water!:thumbsup:

5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Don't think we didn't notice that inexcusable pun, Jimbo. :p

Hmmm...so Pixar comes out with Finding Nemo, and DreamWorks has its own animated feature with an aquatic theme (Sharkslayer) planned for next summer. Shades of A Bug's Life vs. Antz a few years back!

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I knew somebody would pick up on that!:agree: :agree: :agree:

7. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Roger Eberts gave it four stars in the Chicago Sun Times today.:thumbsup:

8. Dan C

The "tomato meter" is VERY high on this movie at rottentomatoes.com.:cool:

Dan C

9. Extremely high. I don't think I've seen it that high, since oh, maybe, Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, aka Amelie.

Currently Finding Nemo has 76 fresh, 1 rotten.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/FindingNemo-1122673/reviews.php

10. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

"The creatures in Finding Nemo are more real than some flesh and blood actors."
    -- Rebecca Murray, ABOUT.COM DRAMA/ROMANCE

Just watching the trailers and then looking at some of the stinkers I've bought over the years - it is very east to come to the same conclusion :) :cool:

All the best - Andrew

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The "Tomatometer" is now at 91 fresh 1 rotten, and if you look at the "1 rotten", it is actually a very positive review that they neglected to assign a fresh or rotten rating, so its actually 92 of 92. Not bad!

Update: Oops! The actual negative review re-appeared on the site. One negative.

Regards,

12. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

They gave me two free tickets for Nemo when I stopped at the grocery store. Maybe I'll go see it this weekend.

13. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I "found" Nemo after work tonight. Deserving of all the accolades! Great animation, touching story, excellent vocal performances, and a goodly number of jokes that will go over the kids' heads--like naming the shark 'Bruce," a la the mechanical shark in Jaws. Ellen DeGeneres steals the movie, she's hilarious--and check out how much her character looks like her!

Highly recommended, go see it even if you don't have any kids to bring along!

P.S. One question though: what exactly do Disney/Pixar animators have against two-parent families? Here's another movie where one parent meets an untimely demise.

14. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

This might be the 'date movie' for tonight. ;)

15. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

Looks like 70.6 Million for the 3 day total. Not bad for a "cartoon" :)

16. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member

This is my favorite Pixar film so far, and I think Ellen DeGeneres was great in this movie. I suppose the "Bambi"-ish death of Coral at the beginning of the film highlights the father-son bond (and also explains why Marlin is so over-protective-he's afraid of losing Nemo like he lost Coral and their other 399 hatchlings). It is a wonder, a delight, and a treat, and all I can say is they've done it again!

17. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I'm looking forward to this one. I was disappointed in Monsters, Inc.. :sigh:

18. Ken_McAlinden

Took my 6-1/2 year old to see it on Sunday. She enjoyed it, but I think I liked it even more. I loved how all of the tank fish were quasi-experts on dental procedures. What else would they have to talk about? :)

Regards,

19. RDK

RDK Active Member

Pixar has the highest batting average in Hollywood:

Toy Story
    Toy Story 2
    A Bug's Life
    Monsters Inc.
    Finding Nemo

All wonderful movies!

20. Dan C

Not to mention the assortment of short films they've made, every one incredibly delightful.
    Dan C

21. Ken_McAlinden

Speaking of that, it was a nice treat to see that they are playing "Finding Nemo" with their great short "Knick-KnacK" preceding it. Every Pixar film since Toy Story has had a short preceding it in theatrical release:

A Bug's Life - Geri's Game
    Toy Story 2 - Luxo Jr.
    Monsters, Inc. - For the Birds
    Finding Nemo - Knick Knack

Also, the teaser trailer for the next Pixar Film, Brad Bird's "The Incredibles" brought the house down at the screening I attended. Now I'm all excited about Christmas 2004. I need to check my enthusiasm before life becomes merely the downtime between Pixar releases. :)

Regards,

22. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I also think Pixar is on a roll--I never thought I'd like "Toy Story," but I did. "Bug's Life" may be the underdog since it wasn't really as comedic as the others, but I've liked every one of them. Probably will go see it this Saturday, and may even try to find it viewing at a digital screen in the area. (I think Star Theater in Southfield has one...?) I think the one we've watched and enjoyed the most around here has been "Monsters, Inc.". :) To my eyes, it was the first Pixar where I didn't pay as much attention to the digital animation as I did the other ones.

23. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

I'm bumping this thread up because of something I noticed last night while watching "Monsters Inc.". You remember the scene where "Sully" is putting "Boo" back into her room so he can send her back? She picks up some of her toys to show Sully and she picks up a "Woody" doll, neat little "Toy Story" reference. I noticed the 2nd toy watching it last night and thought, "Wait...that looks familiar!". It's in Chapter 29 "Goodbye" and the exchange happens BEFORE Sully lays her in her bed so if you miss it rewind it to just as they're entering her room. Tell me what YOU see!

24. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Am I the only one who found Finding Nemo disturbing? I found it a bit too violent and dark in places. :sigh:

I loved Ellen DeGeneres and Allison Janney, though! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.