Pixies - Bossanova MFSL UDSACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spaceboy, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zomvid

Zomvid Delicate Genius

The problems are only present on the CD layer. I think that's why most people didn't notice them at all.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Ugh!

Thanks for the info.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

I hear them clearest on the first 20 seconds or so of Veloria. Can you check that track? The clicks occur right in the opening at about :04 and :09.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

I can hear a click at 12 seconds on that sample, even on my cheap earbuds.

c-eling likes this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

Well, it is some kind of defect. If the noise was on both layers, we could maybe conclude it is on the master tape, but the noise only on the CD layer.

6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

No headphones, But it's tough to detect on my crappy pc speakers, but sure enough George-
    Velouria
    [​IMG]

7. 007james

007james Forum Resident

They were found between the cash register and the calculator, right where skylarking and quadrophenia were .......

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Whoa! Not sure what that is, or what it means. How many clicks do you see there?

9. c-eling

Four, 2 lines shooting straight up at first where you pinpointed the times, looks like two more as the music gets louder

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Wow, interesting. Thanks. I wonder if any of this info can be used to urge Mofi to reprint/fix their Bossanova?

c-eling likes this.
  11. c-eling

Good question. When I have time I'll do a SACD transfer, like I do my lp's and see if it's there as well.
    I've seen/heard this before. DAT tapes beginning to degrade.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

It's only on the CD layer:

13. c-eling

Interesting those anomalies would appear only on the 16/44. Who knows... Shame though. People pay good money for these, regardless of what layer they enjoy/prefer

14. Zomvid

Zomvid Delicate Genius

I don't mean to bash mofi, I buy most of their LP releases, but I recently had a similar problem with Dylan's Planet Waves SACD. Track 5 has a harsh high pitch sound (possibly a digital-only defect as the LP is fine) on the right channel, it is more noticeable on some parts of the song but if you crank it up you can hear it even during the beginning of the song as well.

And to make things more frustrating, the defects on the Dylan SACD are present on both layers.

c-eling likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

Absolutely!

I actually just made a CD-R of the SACD layer (converted to redbook) and although it doesn't have the clicks, it sounds dull compared to the original CD layer.

c-eling likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, that one was a big disappointment.

17. The clicks weren't just confined to this Pixies' SACD. One of the Band's SACDs had them on the CD layer as well. You get the feeling that MFSL views the CD layer as an afterthought on their hybrid SACDs.

George P likes this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, maybe. The messed up thing is that, clicks aside, the MFSL sounds much better than the original CD. So unless they are going to fix/repress (very unlikely, I know), even with the clicks the MFSL is the best redbook, by far.

Jason Manley and Zomvid like this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

It seems they need to get more reports of problems before taking action. I just wrote them a long email, detailing the problem and asking that they fix the CD layer and reprint replacement SACDs. I suggest that anyone who has the Bossanova SACD do the same.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

21. George P

George P Notable Member

This is Mofis reply:

I am sorry to hear this, George. Please contact Music Direct and they would be happy to exchange the disc for you or issue a refund. Your comments will be forwarded to our sound lab.

22. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a fixed edition.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, that's why I almost didn't write them in the first place. I think this came out like 9 years ago so they can't still have license to produce copies - unless the license allows for defective pressings to be repressed. I did point out to them that AF did fix errors and repressed albums like Morrison Hotel.

And I asked them if a repress was possible if their lab finds the defects I indicated. Heard nothing back so far

24. I had e-mailed Music Direct about the Pixies disc, Marshal Crenshaw disc (same clicks) and The Band issue when they were released. I also seem to recall similar issues with the Marvin Gaye releases from a while back. I pretty much gave up on the issues because I a similar response for each disc (sorry, we will refund you etc etc.)

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for sharing. In each of those cases, was it CD layer only?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.