Plastic Ono Band box coming in 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam Forum Lurker

Don't think he ever renounced the sentiments of Woman Is The n****r Of The World. Nothing in that song requires an apology

2. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

Agreed, but the “free the prisoners, jail the judges” type stuff is naive. I think Jerry Rubin and Abbie Hoffman were in his ear a lot when he came to America. He lost touch with reality for awhile,

lordcat, boggs, Floater and 1 other person like this.
  3. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Right, it's an essential song on any Lennon compilation album.

Jimmy B., Telegram Sam and teag like this.
  4. beatlesaint

beatlesaint Forum Resident

The life in pictures doc was nicely done, not the usual talking heads, more interesting ones and nobody with an axe to grind.
    The Lennon in NYC was heavily edited down from its full 2 hrs running time.

lordcat likes this.
  5. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

Where can I watch this Lennon in NYC doc? I’m in the U.K.

6. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

It's probably still on the BBC iplayer. There is also a dvd called John Lennon NYC. Not sure if it's the same thing.

Snoddywilko likes this.
  7. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Apologies I lost track of whomever put the link up for the Working Class Hero run-through for the 1972 live show, but thank you whoever it was! That was outstanding!

Floater likes this.
  8. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

greetings from Trenton, Ontario..
    Sounds like you are loving the set as much as I am.
    I have listen to all six discs, some multiple times.
    I am relistening to disc one as I write this.
    Amazing set..

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Prior to Jerry and Abbie, John listened to Magic Alex. Not sure if that was a step up or a step down with regard to reality ... ;)

10. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

At least Magic Alex was building a 128 channel console to mix the music to dolby atmos 7.1 and DTS HD Master Audio in 1968!

Floater, Tom Daniels and Arnold Grove like this.
  11. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

128 tracks. That explains why it is taking so long to remix Let it Be. It is actually 128 synchronized mono Nagra recordings.

NumberEight and lordcat like this.
  12. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

You don't want to give peace a chance?

OK

13. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

The Plastic Ono Band version of "What's the New Mary Jane?" is different from the released Beatles version, if the bootlegs are to be believed. It has extra Yoko and an especially spacey / dubby middle section. I think Lewisohn documented the additional recording in his old Sessions book (noting that it was the only session he was covering that was technically not a Beatles one.)

Floater likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

John may have added stuff to it with Yoko. But the song was never released at all, until decades later. Every version emanates from the Beatles recording though. There was no special all-new POB version that started from scratch.

Flaming Torch and Floater like this.
  15. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Never claimed there was. I was talking about the additional recording he did with Yoko in November '69, creating the version that was intended for the unreleased single.

Floater likes this.
  16. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Wasn't this the 6 minute version that was released on Anthology, with its long middle section and Yoko all over the second half of the song? I thought I recalled the liner notes in Anthology 3 even mentioning further overdubs by John and Yoko.

Floater and DK Pete like this.
  17. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

And that's better than trying to right a few of society's wrongs? Were you around in the '60's?

oboogie likes this.
  18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The Anthology version is a unique creation. It's specially edited to have a "reprise" at the end of the main theme. It also is missing elements like the slide whistle, additional vocals, and people screaming.

It'd be nice to get a release of the final mix John intended for the single. In bootleg world, we only have it via a scratchy acetate. I hoped it would appear on the 50th anniversary of the White Album but obviously not. Hopefully there will be some future Beatles compilation that can use it. Maybe we could also get a complete, unedited You Know My Name too!

FJFP, hoggydoggy and Floater like this.
  19. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Most celebrities who are strongly political will come off that way to some extent. Knowing they're artists and not politicians can make many feel they lack credibility or question their authenticity. I don't think the celebrities who make political statements or songs are any worse than the lies and deceit of actual politicians. We obviously can't get into it on this forum due to the rules, you can always PM me lol, but I've often noticed on YouTube comments with political artists, that the opposing crowd were already on the other side regardless of which side that is.

DK Pete and Fabrice Outside like this.
  20. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

I don't know if somebody posted this already:
    https://www.discogs.com/de/The-Plas...mber-Whats-The-New-Mary-Jane/release/15642969

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NumberEight and vcpj like this.
  21. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I had forgotten it was on, and only came in midway - to be honest, I thought the bits of the show that I saw simply rehashed the same tired old legends (particularly the lost weekend, which rolled-out the same tired tropes about John & Yoko's reunion)

YMMV, however.

22. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Yes - it's a Geoff Emerick frankenstein creation, dating from the compilation of the aborted "Sessions" LP in 1985, which (along with all his other mixes from that period) was dropped straight into the Anthology series of CD's, with no further tinkering or reference back to the original tapes.

I'll be honest: I find the final POB version (with J&Y's rather amateurish overdubs from late 1969) to be a bit of a mess - granted we're dealing with a scratchy acetate, but it's even more chaotic than the 1968 framework (although maybe that's what they intended???). Still, it's slightly disappointing not to receive an official version, for the sake of completeness.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

This is perhaps the one instance where the Emerick/Sessions mix is vital.

Paul H likes this.
  24. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Yes. (Too old to not be there. Too young to really care). ;)

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    Oyster Boy likes this.
  25. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Do you actually think these guys were a positive influence on John?

I was born in 1977 so I was around in the 60s but that was before reincarnating into me (?)