Plastic Ono Band box coming in 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I’m looking forward to some interesting dialogue recorded.

2. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

if ever there was a stark, dark record, this one's it. ;) I've always loved it, but I really have to be in the mood for it. Can't wait for the surround mix!

3. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Is it really going to be 159 new mixes, or is that counting the duplicates of tracks in various versions and in various audio surround sound/stereo/high-res/etc. mix configurations across the blu-rays and such? I’m guessing the latter because 159... sheesh... if that’s the case I’m def in for the smaller 2CD set if there is one lol. Wish I had a surround sound system, I’d get a lot more use out of a lot of the box sets I own! (I love them all just the same though)

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, it is counting all of the duplicate tracks. I think someone previously said that the Ultimate Imagine set had 150 mixes, and that too included the many duplicate variations in the tally.

5. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Whew... that’s a relief lol. I only opted for the 2CD Imagine set and am fine with that for now. Haven’t felt persuaded to go for the big’n of that one so I snagged the small one in the meantime. I’m more a fan of having all previously released iterations of tracks in one place i.e. single mixes, edits, etc., more so than outtakes but occasionally I come across some juicy outtakes I enjoy. Wouldn’t know which outtakes I’d like if I don’t buy it right? Lol

6. Arnold Grove

It will be interesting to see the actual track listing with regard to the bonus material, whenever it is announced. But my guess is that nothing more will be said until sometime in 2021.

Colinjpush likes this.
  7. Joel Nohnn

Joel Nohnn Forum Resident

I thought the home tapes version of "I Don’t Want To Be A Soldier" was from the Imagine sessions. A jam version attempted after "Jealous Guy"with Keltner on drums, Joey Molland and Tom Evans on Acoustic Guitars, Voorman on Bass and Hopkins on Piano - Lennon of course on vocals. Molland himself stated -

"Finally, in walks John Lennon and he’s really bug-eyed, really gone – ‘Hello everybody!’ He was shouting. It was eleven o’clock at night and he’d just gotten out of bed. There was a bunch of people there: Nicky Hopkins, Klaus Voormann, Jim Keltner, Mike Pinder and he was really brusque with us, really almost rude, but not rude. I was just in awe, just ga-ga. Then he sits down on the stool and starts playing ‘Jealous Guy’ and I’m so flabbergasted I can’t play. He was singing and I’m literally astounded, ‘It sounds like John Lennon.’

So we recorded acoustic guitars on that and John said, ‘You can **** off now if you’d like.’ Of course he wasn’t being like, ‘**** off.’ It was like, ‘Do what you like.’ So they started playing I Don’t Want To Be A Soldier Mama and me and Tommy [Evans] were just hanging out. We just started to play along because we weren’t about to move and let somebody throw us out. We didn’t play it, we just started this ‘doodley-do’ kind of Bo Diddley strumming, because the song didn’t seem to settle into any particular rhythm. And it ended up on the record. One of the most exciting nights of me life."

The home tapes version has that Bo Diddley feel to the acoustic guitars so thought it came from this"Imagine" session. Any experts out there know for sure?

8. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

not offensive, but unnecessary .
    the Spector mix is MAJESTIC. I realize it is hip to hate the guy now, but he made fantastic records.

green_ovation, Critter and Willowman like this.
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think it should have been a double album in the first place. I’m not even really familiar with the Yoko album, but it seems clear to me that, artistically, they thought of the project as a double album.

10. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I think John's wishes should be adhered to - keep them separate. Thankfully it was not a double album. I'd advise a quick listen before advocating otherwise, it might change your opinion.

DaveJ and sambamaster like this.
  11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m not saying I’ll always listen through both albums as a double. I just think having them packaged together in a well-done set makes sense. John’s album has been available on its own for 50 years. Tracks, and even discs, in a deluxe boxed set can simply be skipped. I don’t understand your aversion to things existing just because you don’t enjoy them.

MoonPool and somnar like this.
  12. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

Day one purchase for me. POB has always been the best Lennon solo output. Yet Imagine gets all the glory.

13. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Well thankfully this is a hypothetical argument but to be specific, I any many others would object strongly to being force fed the tuneless screeching of this, in the opinion of many, talentless women. And before I again get the "Yoko bashing" accusation, this viewpoint is shared by most sane people, certainly the ones I speak to. For those who disagree and get some pleasure from her "music" than good luck to you, you are entitled to your opinion.

14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Force fed? Again, I’ll direct you to your freedom to skip discs or tracks...

Plan9, MoonPool, zphage and 3 others like this.
  15. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Although I love Yoko's output, I do agree with this member's opinion . I personally can take a deluxe box either as a just lennon and a combo of both. I would prefer it as a combo at this anniversary time. One can always make a playlist that excludes Yoko tracks. (Yes, you would have to pay for both in a deluxe set at that point.)

Big Blue likes this.
  16. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I am confused, will this include both POB album remixes?

17. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I believe the home tapes version of "I Don’t Want To Be A Soldier" was recorded earlier in 71 when he recorded Well BabyPleaseDont Go and I’m the Greatest.

green_ovation likes this.
  18. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Especially if we also get Archive releases of London Town and Back to the Egg. Big year ahead..!!

Ken.e. likes this.
  19. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

Are you saying there was an All Things Must Pass copyright dump? Where and when was that done , surely outtakes have not been put out somewhere and I missed this!?

20. Arnold Grove

No one knows for sure, as there has NOT been any announcement yet.

The only mention of an actual set ("John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band"; Yoko's name was not mentioned) was a small blurb in the Gimme Some Truth book.

BeatleJWOL and Big Blue like this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Someone noticed a recent listing on AllMusic with about 175 George copyrights from 1970-71. But those tunes are no longer accessible.

Did the George camp actually do this as a copyright dump? No one knows.

IronWaffle likes this.
  22. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Hmmm, I guess we shall see!

Big Blue likes this.
  23. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

Wow thanks. Does anyone have the list of the 175 tracks?

24. Arnold Grove

179 to be exact:

Here are two postings from the George thread:

IronWaffle, Paul P. and LSP2003 like this.
  25. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Recorded at the same sessions, with the same musicians. Released together, and with matching sleeves. If the box set is going to tell the whole story of POB, it needs all that material included.