Platinum SHM-CDs launched! (Disc 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Feb 7, 2014.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

I don't like Judas Priest, but these two albums are different - they keep the spirit of 70's for me. (from my Post #634)

"Hi Guys, I decided to try the Platinum SHM of Judas Priest Rocka Rolla, it has a DR value of 8, so pretty heavy compression. I must say it sounds pretty good though." -- Jontario

"This is JVC just recycling digital masters" -- Tim1954 (Post#632)

I have both first albums Platinum Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings [Hero, Hero is a compilation of these two]. Victor digitally treated old master a bit, [HR cutting and K2HD applied to digital files] no remaster, no credits of any kind.
    Overall they sound closer to "good" with deep bass extension. However could be much better... When you crank the sound, it distorted and compressed, not so awful, though. It is, what it is.
    (from my Post #634)

Update:
    I tried them today in my Cary 360 Pro with upsampling rate 512. Sound is open, well balanced and pretty clean through entire spectrum. Vocal is in a front and very clear without brightness. Cary squeezed a bit more from this old master and Pt helps I think (not so much, thou), but...

If a little more Dynamics, more Airiness, more Soundstage, more Vitality... In other words:

Victor, please apply all your tricks, including Pt to New Remaster!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  2. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Thank you.
    "Hero Hero" use different remix of "rocka rolla". Some consider this remix from 1982 to be better, sound wise.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  3. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The webpage's description reads:
    All tracks transferred from a Impulse! Records 4-track tape
    John Coltrane Quartet Ballads | High Definition Tape Transfers »

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

5. toilet_doctor

I'm waiting for KC Power to Believe 40th Ed. - one of my KC favorites.

Unfortunately, I couldn't compare KC Pt to DVD-A due to the lack of Hi-End DVD-A playback, but in general, Pt came close to SACD, so I think the same with DVD-A.

Polish guys, who compared different KC releases (thanks for the link in Post #1288) marked: "The Platinum SHM-CD versions were better each time." ...and came to conclusion: "Should you buy Platinum SHM-CD 7'' version? - Janusz says that it is beyond discussion, and so says Wiciu, and I happen to agree with them – each of us already has all three boxes and look forward to next releases." And they are technical engineers, not toilet doctors. They recommended to buy selected Pt CDs for those who already have back issues, but it can never happen.

Jeff Carney, who started the tread 'Getting To The Bottom of King Crimson On CD' (long time ago), heard in his system that Original CD outperformed 30th Ann. Ed. But despite of this fact, he always buying the latest and most advanced releases regardless of the cost - he said that directly to me. And, if one day he would upgrade his system, he could get all the benefits.

So, do I... I buy DVD-A or Blu-ray(s) of my favorite, no matter, I cannot listen to them in full potential. But maybe someday I will.

6. toilet_doctor

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

For those who have both, can you tell me how much bigger if any is the Platinum SHM-CD box compared to the regular SHM MINI LP version? I need to know for storage space. :)

8. toilet_doctor

Reg. White box: 5 3/4" x 5 3/4" x 3/4" and Mini LP fits inside tightly.

Holy Diver likes this.
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Thank you!

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I'm giving a heads up to fellow forum members.

The green face cd's , the coated is just painted on !

It lifted right off the disc from the edge .-:(

Let me explain, if a disc falls on the floor I often lift it up by the face with some scotch magic tape. I do this as not not slide the disc on the floor risking scatching the playing surface.

A platinum SHM cd slipped out of the cotton sleeve onto my desk. So, I did what I always do. A bit of tape to safely lift the disc off the surface. But the tape removed a section of the green painted on face. This has never happened to me before.

* I suspect that the resealable sleeve adhesive, if it sticks onto the outer edge of a platinum green face cd could also result in the same fate.

11. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

It's about double the thickness of a standard jewel case, and a little larger length/width maybe by 1/2" if that.

Holy Diver likes this.
  12. sound_mind

sound_mind Well-Known Member

It's a special green ink... it's called "Onsho Shiyou"
    Apparently this ink minimizes diffuse reflection.

13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I stripped off all of the green ink by lifting it off with clear packing tape. So, now the disc is silver face and I will listen to see if I can hear any differences. The title is Gaucho and I preferred my Japan for USA disc over this platinum edition anyway. Luckily its a disc I didn't care about. The J for US pressing sounds clearer, with more dynamic snap. The platinum sounded in comparison like it was sourced from a different tape, father away from the master. I likely will be able to hear any change in sound removing the ink layer introduces, if indeed there is any to be heard.

14. sound_mind

sound_mind Well-Known Member

15. serj

serj Forum Resident

There are so many Japanese CD editions of King Crimson "Red" now.. Can anyone comment on the sound of "Red" [HQCD] from 2016, pls?

And what about Tears For Fears SHM-CD's? Are they better than the horrible (non deluxe) standart remasters with bonus tracks?

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

There are many of them but they are all derived from the same masters worldwide.
    This one is the Steven Wilson remix. To me it's better than the 30th anniversary remaster. it sounds excellent, very crankable.

toilet_doctor, crispi and serj like this.
  17. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Are they done making these? I haven't seen any new ones in months.

18. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

PhantomStranger and Clanceman like this.
  19. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Good ones.

20. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

The Innervisions PT has the same master as the SACD which I
    own. This sounds very good but I prefer the Audio Fidelity CD which makes Stevie sound even more soulful.

mikeyt and tlake6659 like this.
  21. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

22. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Good question. If no one here knows you could email CDJapan and they will tell you. I am planning on getting this.

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It says stereo on the obi strip ;) In my experience the information printed on Japanese discs is very accurate.

mikeyt likes this.
  24. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Ah, I didn't see that. Thanks :righton: Anyone know of a mono disc or a reasonbly priced Disk Union LP?

25. GruvyWade

GruvyWade Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard the Platinum SHM of Brilliant Corners? Comments on SQ or how the album sounds in mono? Or has anyone heard the newer Brilliant Corners SHM, UCCO-5560? Is that one mono or stereo? I am looking to upgrade to my old Riverside SACD, the horns sound harsh to me on that version.

(If anyone has the UCCO-5560 or the old SHM-SACD could you add them to discogs? Neither one is there currently.)

Clanceman likes this.