Playing 45s and 78s safely on a budget

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by brucej4, Apr 16, 2022.

1. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident Thread Starter

My only turntable is a Planar 3 with an Ortofon 2M Black LVB.

My wife and I have quite a few vintage 45s, and even a few 78s, that we'd like to play occasionally. Playing the 45s with a Shibata stylus is not a safe option. Changing cartridges just for that purpose probably isn't going to happen.

1. Would buying a 2M Red stylus strictly for playing 45s, most of which are probably styrene, be a safe choice?

2. Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive turntable, or complete phonograph, that has a 78 speed? I see some options that actually have a bottom-of-the-line Audio-Technica cartridge, rather than the typical junk needle.

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

A Technics 1200MK7 perhaps?

3. harby

harby Forum Resident

An Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB direct-drive is the standard answer. Comes with AT-VM95E, that can either use with Audio-Technica AT-VM95SP's 78RPM stylus, or you put another Audio-Technica AT-VM95SP on its own headshell.

Denon DP-400, $500 - similar features, but belt drive with platter feedback speed controller. Auto-lifter at end. Comes with 0.6 conical AT3600.

Most non-quartz mid-level Technics direct drive can be easily modded to run at 78 with adjustment possible, like I modded my SL6 to run at 25RPM with a switch. They already have trim pots inside to tune the frequency generator.

The dangers of playing 45s with good styli are greatly exaggerated.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  4. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I'm not sure it is safe because that 2m Red stylus is elliptical, which several members here have recommended avoiding for styrene. I used an elliptical stylus on a styrene Little Richard LP and ruined it---the only time that's ever happened to me in 40 years of playing records :cry: Spherical styli have been recommended here for styrene, so I use a Jico N-44-7 myself and haven't had any problems since.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    MLutthans and McLover like this.
  5. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I’ll tell you what I’d do for a cart that can handle 45s and 78s. Get the AT VM95c for the styrene 45s, and the 78 stylus for that cart. Switching the stylus takes a couple seconds, you can do it “on the fly”.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Get a turntable with a tonearm which accepts Ortofon/SME/JIS headshells. I recommend the new Technics SL-1200 Mk 7 if possible for all three speeds, mono, stereo, and 4 channel matrix formats alike. This handles all non 16" broadcast transcription playback needs impeccably. I use the SL-1200 Mk II daily for 45 RPM disc playback and for Mono and LP discs. And eventually will spring for the KABUSA.com 3 speed conversion. I presently use the Audio-Technica AT-VM 95-C (and am considering down the line going for the AT-VM 500 series Cb cartridge or a Eb model.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

How much experience do you have with those models?

8. brucej4

Technics is way too expensive for the small amount of use it would get. Even $500 would not be justifiable for this purpose.

The AT-LP120XUSB is probably the only affordable option so far.

If I'm willing to give up 78, I can just buy an A-T with the conical stylus and switch headshells on occasion, though that would not be my preferred option.

I have a non-Rega arm with detachable headshell, but changing the tonearm weights for a different cartridge/headshell is not a trivial exercise. I have a Shure N97xE on another headshell, and switching to that and rebalancing the arm takes 20-30 minutes, and later reversing the process is the same. At that rate, I would probably avoid doing it very often, which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

For 78s, I've written a series of articles for TNT-Audio outlining what you want to consider in choosing a turntable and then listing a series of older models and what they can do. Some will be expensive/hard to find, others will probably be cheap on the used market. [TNT-Audio Vintage column] On an Overgrown Pathé - [English] Ignore the stuff about Sound HiFi; not only is it more/more expensive than you would want, but it has now discontinued most of the goodies I mention, even though they still appear on its website. A shame, but time marches on. What you need in a turntable depends on the records you intend to play; "78 RPM" takes in about half a century of territory, and as you go farther back, it gets really non-standardized. Since I go into those issues in the articles, I won't say more here.

In a basic setup, I would recommend LP Gear's "The Vessel" so-called 78 RPM cartridge for playing them. (There's no such thing as a "78 RPM cartridge." Just about any cartridge can play 78s--if it has the right stylus/styli. That's what can properly be described as "78 RPM.") Here's my review, with audio examples and video sequences: [TNT-Audio Vintage column] Review of the LP Gear The Vessel A78SP Cartridge The Cliff's Notes version: the cartridge is inexpensive, it sounds surprisingly good, and it tracks very well at an appropriately heavy tracking force setting. No single solution is perfect for all 78s, but it's a good compromise for most.

Good luck!

10. brucej4

We're talking about a very small number of 78s from the Fifties. Standard stuff. I most likely will buy a cheap phonograph option that my wife can use herself, and maybe buy an A-T conical for the Rega as well.

11. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

What’s the problem?
    Just get an Ortofon SuperOM 5e cartridge with an additional OM78 stylus to swap to when going 78 and you’re done, I think?
    Or am I missing something?

IIRC, you should be able to do the same stylus swap trick with AT-VM95 cartridges.

12. brucej4

What you're missing is that the stylus isn't the main issue. My Planar 3 doesn't do 78, so I would need a separate, preferably inexpensive, device for those. I think that I will just forget about it for now.

Oelewapper likes this.
  13. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

You might even like the LP120x! Do you need USB? Basic version is cheaper. If you want VTA adjustment, you need to go to the LP140x.

14. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Bruce: awhile back I bought a Gemini TT that had 78 speed. I installed a Shure 44? on it with 78 rpm stylus. Played them fine. I only needed it for around 10 disks. The TT was pretty cheap, too.

15. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Aren't there any aftermarket 3-speed pulleys available for the P3?

16. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I think the AT 120x is a good suggestion. I had one a while back.

It's actually a 3 speed direct drive table. On the front panel u have buttons to make the speed either 45 or 33&1/3 RPM. Depressingly both simultaneously engages 78.

The headshell is interchangeable if you want to use different carts. However, AT sells a 78 stylus that is compatible with the included cart.

I think the total price for the TT is about $300.

You can check it out on the AUDIO TECHNICA site.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Any thought to just finding a table for the 78's, and needle-dropping them? Then you could get your money back on the table when you don't need that function anymore.

18. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

Get the AT-LP120XUSB for 78 RPM and the Audio-Technica AT-VMN95SP Conical Stylus for use ONLY when playing 78s.

If you want to be paranoid you can use the stock stylus for your Styrene 45s; swapping out styli on the AT takes about two minutes including readjusting VTF.

I've used this technique to record some 78s for airplay at an FM radio station.

namahealani likes this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I prefer playing Styrene on a .6 or .7 mil conical stylus, tracking at reasonable forces. On precision tonearms. An elliptical is OK. 2M Red Stylus a good option for your Rega.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Lots of experience with the SL-1200 Mk 7. Mostly in terms of broadcast production and archival use. Not cheap. For 45 RPM and 78 RPM secondary use, the Audio-Technica AT-120x USB would be as good of an option on a budget. And they're excellent for mono 45 RPM and 78 RPM work. And the cartridge supplied is an excellent choice for it. But the Technics would be a nice do it all option for those who want just one turntable also. And a better tonearm in terms of precision.

I now run the SL-1200 Mk II at home (but no 78 native capability stock, but eventually want to send it to KAB and have his 78 RPM upgrade done) as a daily turntable and have for the last several months. I still prefer the Mk II in terms of build quality overall (more robust build quality) now that I've seen the SL-1200 Mk 7 apart (Just Technics on YouTube) has video on the subject. Just some thoughts on the subject.

21. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

If you want to be a cheapskate, most entry-level turntables with a DC motor have enough range in their speed adjustment trimmers that you can make the 33-1/3 RPM setting spin at 45 RPM and the 45 RPM setting spin at 78 RPM. I've done it myself with a cheapo Aiwa turntable (basically identical to the AT-LP60). Stick a 3 mil stylus on the AT3600L cartridge and you're all set!

22. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I know this is an old thread, but I have a tangent question. I've got a Technics SL-1200mK5 that got the KAB mod that allows it to play 78s. It works great. I've also got a stylus that fits on an old Pickering cart I had, so all good there. I've purchased three 78 rpms - old jazz stuff - and they play fine. My question is, is there any particular way I should clean these records? I normally use a wet vac method that uses a Tergitol solution on my modern vinyl. Would that also work for 78s? Or would that mess them up?

23. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

[​IMG]

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

24. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Soap and water:

25. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.