Playing a dished record, OK or not?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ola Rundberget, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ola Rundberget

Ola Rundberget Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, is it safe for the stylus to track a slightly dished record? Im takling about 1-2mm gap when the record is on the platter, with the dish- side up.

2. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I've played them without problems.

3. Ola Rundberget

Ola Rundberget Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok, thanks! Because someone implied that it would change the vta - and not track properly. Causing that the stylus would wear more on one side, eventually cause damage to the stylus.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

Some will claim that merely looking at a stylus will damage it. Don't worry, enjoy your records.

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Welcome to the forum ;^)
    What is meant by dished if I may ask? Warped?

6. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I’ve had some taco’d records I was able to flatten pretty well by placing it (in sleeve) on a flat table and put 50lbs of books on it and let it sit for a few days.

Took more than half the shape out but left all the flavor.

7. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Of course the VTA is affected. The record isn’t flat all the way through.

The only slightly dished records I have are difficult to replace: a first US pressing of Raw Power. And an RL Led Zeppelin II.

I will go on record as saying I hate looking at warped records spinning. I would look for replacements.

8. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Yes. Record edge lifted off the platter all around when played. Usually a problem only on one side. The other side can be played perfect with a center weight.

9. Leonthepro

I see, well it shouldnt be too much of a problem if its only a little on one record.

10. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I wonder how that affects the anti-skate settings; I could see it getting to a point where you have to increase it above normal for the convex side, with at similar deviation in the opposite direction for the concave side. I wonder how much warp it would take to trigger that.

11. Leonthepro

It would throw it off for both sides yeah. Just like SRA, VTA, VTF and Azimuth.

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

An even dish of 1-2 mm isn't anything to worry about! Any difference in VTA/VTF should be audibly insignificant to non existent.

Helom likes this.
  13. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

To reiterate: "I wonder how much warp it would take to trigger that."

14. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I've never had a problem playing a dished record, but I hate that! There is no risk of stylus damage. The skating force does change, but the normal anti-skate setting should be sufficient to prevent any skating issues. (anti skate errors normally occur in the real world anyway, even on a perfectly flat record) Technically, the azimuth will be off by cause of the defective record. This can degrade the stereo image, but the dish would have to be more extreme for this to be really noticeable. Also technically, the channel balance can be upset, and also maybe a very small amount of distortion. A shibata stylus would be a little more fussy in this regard, as the azimuth needs to be pretty much right on.

Bottom line, a dished record can be played and enjoyed without worry of the equipment.
    It's also a good idea to replace the record, as the stylus alignment in the groove will be slightly off.

BGLeduc and Leonthepro like this.
  15. Leonthepro

This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.