Please recommend me some budget headphones.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bonzodog, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Bonzodog

Bonzodog Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd like to listen to the Revolver remix on some headphones.

I have a pair of (quite old now) Alessandro Music Series Grado's (couldn't tell you which model) that have always left me fatigued after a few songs due to their extraordinary lack of comfort. (Such a relief to get them off) Maybe it's just me??

My system is: Audiolab 6000 (A + CDT). I'm not bothered too much about BT (though if it's there - and doesn't drop sound quality when wired in - all the better). For home use - can't ever see me walking outside wearing cans.

Something natural sounding, that doesn't boost the bass to drown everything else in the mix out

Music style: Beatles, Steely Dan, Radiohead, Elbow, Zep, Floyd.

Budget: As it would be occasional use, £100-150 tops.

Rorsontherun likes this.
  2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

3. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

Phillips Fidelio X2HR

aunitedlemon and Bonzodog like this.
  4. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Koss Port a pro. Insanely good for $50

5. belyin

belyin Valid Where Prohibited

I am happy with my Koss KPH30i for $30.

TimB and Bonzodog like this.
  6. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

audio-technica M50x

JFCB and Bonzodog like this.
  7. Bonzodog

Thanks for the suggestions, folks :righton:

8. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

AKG K612 pros are natural sounding and very comfortable if you’re okay with open backs.

Leonthepro, kundryishot and Bonzodog like this.
  9. Bonzodog

I think I'm going with the Beyer Dynamic DT880 Premium for £140.

Just need to check which will suit my Audiolab 6000a better. the 32, 250 or 600 ohm (I don't have a dedicated headphone amp).

10. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

It is hard to go wrong with AudioTechnica. They have several models within your stated range. I had an inexpensive set I used for several years before I went into STAX. Edit:Oops-didn’t see your post above. I never heard the Beyer.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    Bonzodog likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you don't have a headphone amp I would pick the 32 ohm version as it will be the easiest to drive.

12. holden4th

holden4th Forum Resident

You want natural sounding, not overly bass boosted, not uncomfortable to wear and for less than 150 GBP?

The Shure SRH840As should easily fit the bill. I own the original SRH840s and have been using them as my work cans for over a decade now. I also own some much higher end cans and am very happy with the sound of the Shures in comparison. I imagine the upgraded 840As will be even better. They also review very well.

Shure SRH840a

THOMAS STRAIGHT and Bonzodog like this.
  13. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Bonzodog likes this.
  14. Bonzodog

Well, my Beyerdynamic DT880 Edition's came today (£139 - Amazon), and I'm pretty impressed with them so far. Time will tell.

At any rate, thanks for introducing me to Head-fi forum. Never knew about it :righton:

peteham, woody, GordonM and 1 other person like this.
  15. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Koss UR-40. Very neutral yet detailed (titanium driver), super cheap (under $50) and lightweight, they collapse into a softball sized circle to fit in a travel-bag. Wired, so no crappy Bluetooth to interfere with the signal. Easily driven by a cell phone.

Bonzodog likes this.
  16. JFCB

JFCB Active Member

Good call on the Beyer 880's, wonderful headphones, IMHO. I believe the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 were also mentioned; not as accurate as the 880 but very enjoyable for the price.

Bonzodog likes this.
  17. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Probably the very best sounding can I've had - 600 ohm Beyer 880.
    Definitely needed a proper amp (which is seldom in most electronics apart from dedicated HP amps)
    Unfortunately sold them on due to wanting better comfort, they sat too tight and heavy on my head:eek:

Bonzodog and JFCB like this.
  18. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

What's your budget?

Neil S. Bulk likes this.
  19. Rorsontherun

Rorsontherun Forum Resident

Bumping this thread from @Bonzodog as I have a similar question. Which are your suggestions on a budget, for something more o less neutral? I'm considering something open back, but no bass emphasis (all the remixes and remasters are bass-heavy, don't need extra bass from my headphones! Lol).

Boltman92124 likes this.
  20. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I have and have experienced a bunch of headphones in this range. Agree on the poor fit of lower priced Grados. Audio Technica ATH Mx50s are too tipped up in the bass and treble for the sound you are ansking about. I had some Goldring DR 100 (maybe 150?) that I left on a plane that were good. I haven't heard the Shure 840 but I have their much much bigger brother the 1540 and have heard some others from the family and they may be what you're after. No idea on the Beyers.
    All that said, I would get whatever Sennheiser 5xx you can find/ afford. I'm listening to 598s now, I've had 558s and maybe 569s? All have a smooth, non fatiguing sound. And are as comfortable as they come.
    These look good:
    Sennheiser HD 559 Headphones | Audiophile | Headphones | Open Back Headphones | Drop

21. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I like the Beyerdyanmics (770, 880) and you can find them used at your price point.

rockclassics likes this.
  22. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have a pair of the 300 ohm version, I use it with Beyerdynamic A20. Great headphones!

somnar and Rorsontherun like this.
  23. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

As we say at Head-Fi...Sorry about your wallet! You're going to need an amp now, then some closed back cans, then some good portable IEMs, then a dongle DAC/amp. See where this is headed?

24. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Make a decision yet? I'm in the same camp but my budget prob up to $350. Still, there's a lot of great stuff around/under $250. Mind boggling really. I need to make a decision. The thing I don't like about the Beyer 880's is no detachable cord/cable. Narrowed down to (but changes everyday)
    1.) Drop/Senn 6XX
    2.) Drop/Hifiman 5XX
    3.) Focal Listen
    4.) Emotiva GR1
    5.) Beyer(770,880) and AT Models(M50's).
    6.) Spend more option. Hifiman Edition XS.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  25. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

That's a nice list in the price range. Since I like option 1 personally, it would make it easier at this point for me.... but I'm also a Beyer fan (option 5), my son has 770's I've had 880's for a while. (actually he has them both now, seems all my cans ended up in his possession :)). Also have the HD600's still to, hard to fault for the $169 I paid for them a few years back.

Boltman92124 likes this.