Please Recommend SACD Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nicoff, Apr 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicoff

nicoff New Member Thread Starter

I already have dedicated CD and DVD (video) players and I am looking for a SACD player for my system.

I am aware that there are "universal" players out there but since I am happy with my CD and DVD players I would think that it is not worth it to spend more money than I need to right now.

I am looking for a great sounding SACD player that does not cost a fortune but that does not have many sound compromises. Can anyone recommend a model/brand? Thanks!!

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

What is your budget?

3. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I had had a lot of fun with my low-end Sony C$200 SACD player, but it has decided to ONLY play SACDs now. I understand that I am not alone. Jeff

4. nicoff

nicoff New Member Thread Starter

I would prefer to spend no more than $500 unless there is something out there that is substantially better for a few hundred dollars more.

BTW, I am not familiar with SACD technology so this may be a lousy question: Do SACD players allow digital output in two channel or in multichannel? I would like to feed a digital signal to my digital preamp.

Thanks!

5. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Alas no. Sony won't have it. SACD players will output digital on CD, but not SACD in either two channel or surround sound format. Hopefully, this will in the not so distant future change and there may be DSD dacs. Jeff
    However, if you really want to go crazy there is the DCS Elgar SACD Transport, Upsampler, DAC Combo, but that costs a very, very pretty penny. Jeff

6. anthony_b

anthony_b New Member

Try the 222es from Sony. I sold my ce775 and purchased the ES for $339 shipped.:thumbsup:

7. Sckott

Yeah! The CDP 222es is a great player, feels almost like the 775. Nice carosel!

8. anthony_b

anthony_b New Member

feels almost like the 775 ?...what does that mean ?

9. Sckott

I own the 775. When I demoed this unit, all the controls are basically in the same place as the 775.... It's just a few changes, otherwize, a very close cousin!

10. anthony_b

anthony_b New Member

Sckott, you're right. The 775 is a very good player, the more I played it the better it got.

11. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

The 222ES is basically an ES version of the CE775. Ouside of the (much) better case and the 5-year warranty, they are practically identical internallty, although the 222ES does upgrade some internal parts, and I believe has improved OP amps. Since you may still be able to find a CE775 for $175 - $200, it is a much better DEAL than the 222ES, sound-wise. - the 222ES does not SOUND $200 better. However, the build quality on the 222ES is light years ahead of the CE775, which you may think justifies the additional $200 or so. But if you're going to spend $400 on a 222, the 555ES at about $800 (or is it $600? Call Oade Bros for quote) is a better deal. It's a multi-disc player that is VERY good, sonically. It can't really touch the AX777, but I doubt you would have any complaints.

I compared the CE775 (at $160 on sale) to the 555ES in my system while looking for an entry-level SACD player. Compared to the 555, the 775 sounded like it was full of mud. However, it sounded excellent in my Mom's system and provided better redbook than her Phillips DVD player. I kept the 555, and thought the difference in price was worth EVERY penny. However, depending on your other equipment, it might not be.

Tweeter and a few other stores were selling the original Phillips SACD1000 for $400 for a while. Someone may still have one of these. It's a good machine, and it is better than either the CE775 or the 222ES. I prefer the Sony 555ES to the Philips, because the 555ES sounds a little better (to me) and is built like a tank. I don't know if it's $400 better, though.

12. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

The Philips SACD1000 won't output a digital signal, even from CD! A trap for young players (and also for older reviewers who, um, didn't test this part out...)

13. anthony_b

anthony_b New Member

I purchased my 222es for $319 and I was an owner of the 775 for 6 months. I would say that SACD performance was comparable, but redbook,build quality and warranty is worth the extra cash paid, in this case less than $120 more. :)

14. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

The 555ES has been discontinued and is VERY hard to find right now. Too bad, because Sony doesn't seem to have introduced a similar player.

I bought the 222ES and am in the process of breaking it in. It is very good on SACD, decent on redbook so far. I'm considering having it modded, as I understand this improves the sound significantly. Even the salesman at Oade Brothers suggested a $100 mod.

Chris

15. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Any idea when Sony will release newer SACD players? Aren't the models being discussed in this thread at least a year old?

16. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Yep..

Good machine!

17. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I really like my 555. I saw one at the Good Guys in Studio City, Ca. for $700 this weekend. You might be able to talk them down. I got mine for $600 new. after the open box was messing up. It seem to me that one had some sort of problem, as the in box one worked and is still working great!!

18. stever

stever Senior Member

Aren't there any other low-end, high-quality SACD players made besides Sony?

19. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

You would think there would be, but there's not. Sort of looks like a conspiracy doesn't it?
    Jeff

20. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

philips makes a nice one for $200 at MusicDirect. They're coming out with a 5 disc changer soon for around $300

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.