Please, recommend to me the best non-american animated films, directors and studios!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Matheus Bezerra de Lima, Oct 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matheus Bezerra de Lima

Matheus Bezerra de Lima Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love animation, and I want to explore more this amazing artform. So, please recommend to me all sorts of amazing animated films from all around the world. Don't be afraid of recommending anything. Films with unique art styles are also recommended. You can also recommend as many films as you want, and animated shorts too.

I want to check out someday the brazilian animated film "O Menino e o Mundo". And I'm brazilian.

I recommend Fantastic Planet, a bizarre french sci-fi film from 1973.

I hope no one takes this recommendation as me demanding just weird stuff, far from such. I want ALL! All styles, all stories, all everything! Everything wonderful in animation of all kinds!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    mrz80 and beccabear67 like this.
  2. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

3. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

If you ever want to expand your query to include great animated films from any & every nation, I'd be happy to weigh in.

:)

4. Matheus Bezerra de Lima

Matheus Bezerra de Lima Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great! What are your recommendations?

5. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Anything by Hayao Miyazaki. Especially Spirited Away. A claasic.

6. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

Fantastic Planet {1973}

One of the greatest animated movies ever made. More an experience than a movie, in my opinion.
    This is the class of true science fiction movie that Lucas and Spielberg wished they could make themselves but never really could.

[​IMG]

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

For your concideration,
    "Persepolis"

8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Allegro Non Troppo is the first that comes to mind.

9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Of course I could drag The Beatles into this conversation and point out Yellow Submarine is a good starting point for European animation of the 60s and 70s.

10. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

What kept you? ... :winkgrin:

mBen989 likes this.
  11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Clouds got in the way.

12. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Ari Folman - "Waltz With Bashir" (2008)

Incredibly powerful

13. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

Seconded.

Jazzmonkie and mBen989 like this.
  14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'll speak up for anything produced by Canadian Marv Newland and/or International Rocketship studio starting with Bambi vs. Godzilla.

15. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Spirited Away
    howels Moving Castle
    Space Cruiser Yamato

Japanese Anime

16. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

The Tomm Moore Irish trilogy-The Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea, WolfWalkers.

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If you will permit some out-of-the-box American features here, I might suggest the Laika studio offers some interesting stop-motion features. Particularly Coraline, and Kubo and the Two Strings, both for their adventurous design, and unusual subject matter.

Wes Anderson, an outside-the-box director if there ever was one, has done two stop-motion pieces: the more "mainstream" (yeah, right) Fantastic Mr. Fox and the truly fantastic Isle Of Dogs.

18. Dillydipper

Satoshi Kon is doing some left-field animation in Japan that is not the typical anime fare. Look at 2006's Paprika. There's also a nice demo film on him up on Yu-Tube-san:

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I just got this one, Son Of The White Mare.

20. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

21. Dillydipper

Hungarian - neat! We don't hear enough about the wealth of Slavic animation that never reaches these shores.

agentalbert likes this.
  22. Dillydipper

Canadian Film Board experimental cinema was one of my bright spots in my college film courses. There was so much done with sketch animation where the filmmaker would draw or paint over his originals for each frame, sometimes just one brushstroke at a time. Pincushion animation was another such method, where you had a frame with pins sticking through, and you would press the pins down into the surface to achieve an image.

Discovering Malcolm MacLaren alone, made my education worth it, even though I never went into film or animation professionally.

23. Dillydipper

For an amazing animated experience that borders on the impossible, you can't go wrong with Polish painting-on-the-back-of-glass by Petrov, the 20-minute adaptation of Hemmingway's The Old Man And The Sea.

Essential viewing, before anybody brings up the equally-amazing 2017 UK/Hungarian feature Loving Vincent, which can claim itself as the "first animated, painted feature" even if it wasn't the first to do the method.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGzKnyhYDQI
    What sets it into a completely new level of art is, all the scenes animated in the film, are based on actual Van Gogh paintings, so that makes it a stunning move forward. It may still be on Amazon Prime, so hurry!

24. Dillydipper

Now, imagine doing a feature film based on 1001 Arabian Nights, with pieces of cut paper...in 1926.
    You can draw a straight line, from The Adventures Of Prince Achmed by German experimental filmmaker Lotte Reiniger, directly to South Park:

25. D_minor

D_minor Senior Member

That would be Norman McLaren.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.