Polk Flagship Line Speaker Sale - Hurry!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SandAndGlass, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

Do you think the bass would be too overpowering in a room of that size?

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident Thread Starter

Even the 707's are not going to have this huge overpowering bass sound.

The 707's are designed to fill rooms that have larger volumes.

The slightly smaller 705's would be a nice fit for a room your size.

The LSiM line is about affordable quality, they are not incredibly efficient and are best driven by a decent size amp.

They are not about reproducing maximum sound levels or they would have been a more efficient design.

3. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

It looks like from that cut-away that Polk is finally using some decent drivers in the high end stuff. All the lower priced drivers are stamped steel crap.

4. SandAndGlass

They do appear, in the cut-away to be decent drivers, they visually look like they do also.

There are a very few remaining pairs of Boston Acoustic M-350 tower speakers that are remaining on eBay for 4700/pr., retail was $2,500. They have a cut-away view and they seem to have some impressive drivers.

I bought mine on sale, from a store flyer, they were half price, at the time. It was the cut-away view that was shown additionally, in the flyer that made my decision to purchase them. the cabinet is heavy MDF. No hollow sounding knuckle rap.

Someone who is looking for a great deal, might want to consider the BA's until Polk offer's another half price sale.

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The basket doesn't make the driver, it's the rest that does.

6. SandAndGlass

True, but when you see a well made basket, that usually tells you something about what the quality of the rest is.

When you see these inexpensive stamped baskets on the drivers, there is little hope of anything on the inside being of any quality.

7. rhubarb9999

Cheap baskets flex .. and reflect the quality of the other parts of the driver. I have had magnets break on Polk drivers because they use two cheaper pieces of metal and glue them together. I have a shelf full of dead drivers from SDAs, Monitor 10s ....

The current cheaper stuff is more of the same. At least the high end models have some quality to them.

8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Well, no. The problem with the vintage Polk drivers is simply that the adhesive is losing it's bonding capability as time marches on and if jarred can result in a shifted magnet. Considering that those drivers are 30+ years old I don't think one can complain as that adhesive may have been the best available at the time. Polk did, after all, use butyl rubber surrounds that are still going strong and doped paper drivers, which are still considered by many as one of the best sounding.

As for the baskets flexing, go ahead and try to bend one without a hammer. They don't.

Jason Tenney and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I had a magnet shift on an old Polk monitor. I consider it dead.

10. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

It can be repaired.

To prevent the magnet shift on any others you have run a bead of epoxy or construction adhesive around the top and bottom plates that sandwich the magnet.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Kristofa

Oh... is this something that is relatively DYI-easy, or is it best left to repair professionals? I couldn't budge it when futzing with it.

12. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You'd have to make a jig.

Kristofa likes this.
  13. Kristofa

I looked it up and found a method posted in the Polk forums:

Magnet shift repair is easy...

It sure would be great to use these as surrounds instead of the Bose 301s I am currently using. I am very eager to gift these.

Thanks, F1nut.

14. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Sorry, I should have mentioned that thread. Good luck!

15. Kristofa

Nonsense. I should have Googled it before considering the speaker dead.

Cheers

16. rhubarb9999

Any good driver does not use a two piece magnet. You are a Polk fanboy. I get it. No need to continue.

17. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Where is that written?

F1nut and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Ummmm......you need to study the motor structure of a driver. It doesn't matter who makes it either.

Really? You don't know me then.

19. theclipper

Looks like Adorama has another 707 bundle deal going right now: Polk Audio LSiM707

Very tempting!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

This is a fantastic deal for someone who wants to put together a complete HT speaker solution.

[​IMG]
    This is all top of the LSiM line of speakers. Everything for $2,799.99!

This is a discount of $3,899.76 off the regular retail pricing, a 58% discount.

mreeter and Tullman like this.
  21. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Looks like a no-brainer, but I don't see the discount you're talking about. Am I missing something?

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This would be a great sounding HT system for under 3 grand.

mreeter and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. theclipper

Yeah, really seems like a great deal. Just wish I had a bigger room to accommodate it!

24. theclipper

I finally was able to order a pair of the 705! I just received my first 705 today from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. The item was "mistakenly" listed and sold as new, but they sent out a refurb! I called and they will refund my money, but of course they don't have any actual new units to exchange it with. Which then leaves me with just one 705 until I can find another on sale. This is very frustrating!

I was thinking of keeping the speaker, but I've found several issues with it. The biggest issue is that the mid-bass diaphragm isn't glued to the metal support (pic below). Polk said they would send out a new driver to replace this. The other big issue is that the 1st subwoofer is cockeyed, kind of rotated clockwise (pic below). Do you think the malrotated subwoofer will have any effect on the sound or imaging of the unit? I'm trying to figure out if I should return this and wait it out until there is another sale, or just replace the one driver and keep the unit?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  25. Kristofa

Personally, I would consider the speaker defective and wouldn't keep it. Three strikes... it's out. It wouldn't keep me from wanting a matching pair of 705's, but I would be more skittish--especially when dealing with the third party seller (PM sent). The speaker is still being produced, so non-defective units can be had.

4xoddic, 62caddy and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.