[POLL] 2010's Best Pop Songs part 1/2 (watch first, vote afterwards)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PanaPlasma, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident Thread Starter

2010 wasn't off course the best year in popmusic's history, but I've managed it to select 50 tracks. Most of them got decent airplay at radiostations, some even went crossover to the commercial charts.

There are also some late 2009 tracks in the list, because they still got massive radio airplay in 2010.

You may vote for as much tracks as you want, but to keep it interesting pick at least 5 (if you want).

The second list will be on later this week.

Here the list, with a direct Youtube link so you could judge for yourself. Have fun!

01. Stornoway: Zorbing
    02. Rumer: Slow
    03. Goldfrapp: Rocket
    04. Mumford & Sons: The Cave
    05. Florence + the Machine: Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)
    06. Broken Glass Heroes: Let's Not Fall Apart
    07. The Drums: Let's Go Surfing
    08. Arcade Fire: We Used To Wait
    09. I Blame Coco: Self Machine
    10. LCD Soundsystem: I Can Change
    11. Aloe Blacc: I Need A Dollar
    12. Editors: You Don't Know Love
    13. Plan B: She Said
    14. Balthazar: I'll Stay Here
    15. Band Of Horses: Factory
    16. Vampire Weekend: Giving Up The Gun
    17. Gabriel Rios: Dauphine
    18. Jonsi: Go Do
    19. Kings Of Leon: Pyro
    20. Tame Impala: Solitude Is Bliss
    21. Arctic Monkeys: Cornerstone
    22. Norah Jones: Even Though
    24. Kasabian: Underdog
    23 The National: Bloodbuzz Ohio
    24. Amy MacDonald: This Pretty Face
    25. Muse: Resistance

2. PanaPlasma

First votes! Thanks :)

3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

The Cave, I Need A Dollar and Rocket! :)

There have probably been worse years...

One of my favs of the last year or so is Goldfrapp's Head First album from whence came Rocket. It's an uncanny resurrection of synth-pop-rock c1982 (ironically a side of rock/pop which wasn't always my favorite in the day). Fans of '80s Police, Berlin, Bangles, Olivia, Benetar, Fleetwood Mac etc ought to check it out, closest thing to getting a "lost hit album" of the sort we may ever have. Vintage synths and all. The video is more modern of course (though wicked!), the album by itself has more of a blast from the past effect. All IMH.

I should explain why I feel it is notably relevant rather than related to nostalgia. "Retro" (and other forms of recycling) has built into quite a substantial trend in its own right for some time now. Most of it (grossly generalized opinion here) has been either questionable in quality or involves sensibilities which are odd bedfellows with the styles being "retro'd," such as pervasive irony or other attitudes that keep some of it from really "selling" to fans of the original forms. That album could also involve nostalgia. However, recently I feel some of the "retro" has found legs. Less a retro movement and imitation, more continuation, actually making new music with the old forms "straight" or incorporating it in such a way as to feel valid. Saying, "this is restored to a part of my culture and language now," rather than nostalgia or just lifestyle imagery. Goldfrapp's album is IMH a prime example. Of course this is all highly subjective, but I'm not completely alone in that perception; for example there's some notice about a similar deepening "reawakening" of "old forms" so to speak in R&B.

Or it could be passe tomorrow who knows. :laugh: But it's something that's going on now anyways. Hope that yak makes some sense...

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I'm going to listen before I vote. Thanks for the links. I know I like the Mumford & Co. song, but the rest are unfamiliar, at least by name.

I like "Zorbing" a lot.

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Rumer's Slow of course also has a lot of "old style" it's just a hair under making my vote though... I can't place why. Maybe it's just not "sticking" melodically? Or is performed a hair too casual/aloof? Hm. Anyway, it is definitely nice.

I can get into Mumford & Sons music rather more than their performances. To be fair I'm not huge on that live video, half expect it to cut back and find one of them whacking a malfunctioning printer and crying on the toner in their hand or something, I dunno... maybe it's just a bit too fast on that performance.

6. PanaPlasma

I think many Goldfrapp-fans were shocked when the album first came out (especially the ABBA-sounding song). But, heard that many people changed their minds after a few months in a positive way.

Because it's so different, it takes some time to appreciate.

But that's what Goldfrapp stands for ... Surprising the audience every time a new album sees the light.

Critics were maybe hard for them ... Just another band jumping on the 80's revival-train full of synths and oh ohs. But in my opinion, they did it in a more subtle way than most other bands did.

I think it's a symbolic F--- you against the record labels. We do the same as everybody right now, but we can do it better and we do it because we want to do this. Not because somebody at the record company forced us to do this.

7. PanaPlasma

Rumer sounds much (maybe too much) like Karen Carpenter.

8. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I guess I am out of touch with new music. I don't know a single one of these or think I have heard of any either. I will go through and listen now.

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

That was easy. "Let's Go Surfing" by the Drums. The whistling drew me in first. New Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros? No, but someone else I want to listen to. I'm going to buy The Drums, so thanks for putting up this poll. Thank you as well for asking people to vote for just one song.

I also liked:
    Stornoway - "Zorbing" (2nd best)
    Goldfrapp - "Rocket"
    Mumford & Sons - "The Cave"
    Plan B - "She Said"
    Kings Of Leon - "Pyro"
    The National - "Bloodbuzz Ohio"
    Muse - "Resistance"

10. PanaPlasma

You may vote for as much songs as you want ;)

11. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

You are not alone. I do not recognize any of these songs. If I heard any of them, I sure don't remember. :shake:

12. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

dude I'm not really that into Katy Perry but how can you have a list of "2010's best Popsongs" and not have her on it - she would have at least three songs on the list? Arcade Fire but no Bruno Mars? Norah Jones but no "Empire State of Mind"...

That's maybe a list of 2010's best Alternative Rock songs or something

-s

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I would have voted for the Glee version of Bruno Mars' "Marry You."

14. PanaPlasma

There's another list with "Hit Songs" by somebody else. This poll is more about radiohits.

As far as I know, Katy Perry, had a few hits. But not hits that will be remembered in 10 years. Compared to Lady Gaga, Jay Z & Alicia Keys, Editors, Black Eyed Peas, Martin Solveig,... her hits were "not that big" or "remarkable".

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Huh. I thought I read "pick one," or something to that effect. There was also a song missing in the copy I made of the song list. If you can change it, would you add "Zorning" by Stornoway? Thanks.

16. PanaPlasma

Bruno Mars will be in the second list.

Katy Perry? No, I think this is a bit out of our age range.

Radios focussing on a more adult public (from 25 y.o.) don't play her music. Even StuBru in Belgium doesn't (age range 16-40).

She just got airplay on extremely commercial radiostations and programs like "Hits for Kids" over here. Her cd was already in the mid price sales either ...

Concerning Stornoways "Zorbing": I'm afraid I can't change it, but we'll count an extra vote for Zorbing at the end of the poll :)

17. PanaPlasma

Muse at number 1, at the moment. I'm amazed ... because I've read various opinions about the band here on the forum.

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

None of them! I never even heard of any of them.

And before Dinsdale berates me for not checking them out first, I will remind him that many of you do not check out the songs on other lists before making like comments.

So there!

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Maybe you'll like this one, Grant.

07. The Drums: Let's Go Surfing.

It is my favorite from this list, and I'd never heard of it until I played it this morning.

20. PanaPlasma

No love for Sting's daughter here on the forum? Sounds and even looks like him (with long hair) :D

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Which one is Sting's daughter?

22. PanaPlasma

Like someone mentioned (JayF) there is some kind of mistake.

Nr. 24 is Amy MacDonald, Kasabian will be in the list of the second poll!

If you vote for 24, you'll vote for Amy.

23. PanaPlasma

I Blame Coco, she's quite popular over here.

"Self Machine" was a big radio hit.

24. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I am in the same position, except I have listened to them and don't like any of them. Maybe Norah Jones a little, but the rest just suck in my opinion. Not a catchy hook in the whole pile. Does that say more about the songs or my taste in music?

25. John54

John54 Senior Member

I should listen to these, but it's too late now. Let's Go Surfing is a third-rate attempt at early '60s style music, so it won't be getting a vote. On the other hand I always seem to like Kings of Leon. Anyway - later ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.