Poll: Abbey Road Remix Opinion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gottafeelin, Sep 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Maybe the 9 months close proximity between each albums, or George’s contributions on them. Abbey Road, he delivered the goods alright.

2. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Or even something not particularly music related. Like maybe he was dating the same girl or living in the same apartment or driving the same car during both of the those albums. Or he was emotionally in the same place during both of those.

There are all sorts of reasons people associate music with certain things. The musicians that create it are no exception.

3. alexpop

George said I’m sure “they’re the same album “.
    Of course imo Revolver is more revolutionary than RS. I’m sure GH appreciated those albums ..but ( repeating myself) he preferred the later albums, Pepper onwards.

4. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I have no doubt he said it.

I’m just saying it makes little sense for any of us presume why. Our experiences with the music is not the same as anyone else’s. Let alone his.

5. alexpop

That’s axiomatic.

6. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Yet so often not fully considered.

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I listened again today, in the car; and I still feel it often sounds a bit crispy or edgy. Other bits, not so much -- "Come Together" and "Something" were okay (maybe because they'd already been worked on, for 1?) The drums on "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" sounded processed/indistinct/undermixed. Weird. It's not always the same; hard for me to put into words, anyway.

To me, Giles is great about half the time (on Beatles projects, anyway) -- I think Love, Beatles 1 and the "white album" are great. Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road -- disappointing.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    apesfan and alexpop like this.
  8. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I had another listen of 5.1. Too bright. The mix is not discreet at all. The White Album is way better. I thought this guy have found the formula. Doesn't look like it. I vote 'Good'. It is not bad after all. Not a disaster.

9. alexpop

Is there a thread for
    “ About time Rubber Soul/Revolver got their own Anniversary albums “
    yet ?

I’m sure Apple Corps would like some feedback on future releases.

10. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Apple could consider to release 60 anniversary editions of the earlier discography after the expected 50 Let It Be one, but I think there will no longer be enough market for physical media.

11. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I think the remix is wonderful. So much depth. So much clarity. So much fabness.

I love the whole package.

12. mcallister

mcallister Forum Resident

Amazing how many forum members here can’t just enjoy something, I thought I was bad

MitchLT likes this.
  13. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Well, it's a beautifully recorded album and it has really always sounded "great" or "excellent," whichever is higher. So... it's hard to say that the mix is now improved when it was already so great/excellent to begin with. Leaving aside comparison, though, how does it sound to my ears? Great or excellent! Of course! Giles Martin may have started in a different field (marketing, did I hear?), but (at this point) he's got years and years of experience working side by side with some of the best professionals in the field. For all practical purposes he's a pro. And he does a professional job with great material. That's maybe less a credit to Giles than a recognition that he's a pro and that he was working with golden material to begin with.

Is it a cash-grab. Well, yes and no.
    Yes in the sense that they grabbed my cash repurchasing an album I've already bought many times over, and for a degree of improvement that is open to debate.
    No in the sense that, for me personally, it is hard to listen to an album that is literally one of my earliest childhood musical memories. Ordinarily, at this point in my life, my brain just filters out Abbey Road (nothing new to hear here, move along...). A remix, however conservative, jostles things just enough to grab my attention anew and make me attend to one of the glories of recorded pop music with re-awakened amazement and awe and love.

Was that worth my hundred bucks? Was that, plus the delightful time I had listening to it with my Beatle-fan 12-year old daughter, worth $100? Why yes, yes it was. :)

streetlegal and videoman like this.
  14. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

[​IMG]

15. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

can't get over THE END without the electric guitar...
    can't really enjoy it without it!
    my brain keeps playing it....

16. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

My first play thru the vinyl, side one. “Oh Darling” is ridiculously intense in the new mix. And the background being so quiet, between the notes, during “I Want You” is almost shocking. I did not expect it. Extra guitar on the fade of “You Never Give Me Your Money”

The last half of “Here Comes The Sun” sounds faster . . .

Vocals or keyboards I’m used to drifting from left to right now stay firmly centered. I think I’m disappointed with this. But backing vocals that used to be only on one side are now spread into stereo.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  17. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Not bright on my system.

18. videoman

videoman Senior Member

TWA 5.1 is much brighter on my system than this one. TWA sounds more “goosed”, compressed or whatever to me, but I allow it could simply be how my system presents it. And how my aging ears hear it.

19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Not bright on my system...

20. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Great post and well-put.

These deluxe editions are such a nice addition to the catalog and the remixes—especially the surround mixes—have allowed me to reconnect with some of my favorite albums of all time.

I had pretty much burned myself out on The Beatles in the 1980s listening repeatedly to my cassettes of their music culled primarily from the MFSL box set. The 87 CDs did nothing for me. The Anthology sets were a one-time listens for the most part. And while I appreciated the 2009 remasters for sounding the closest to how I remember the music sounding (from the MFSL), I still didn’t listen to it much. Just didn’t feel any need to hear it.

I’ve listened to Abbey Road more in the last 2 days than probably the last 30 years combined. Same with the previous two albums over the last 2 years.

Releasing music is all about getting people to hear it and enjoy it. If these sets and new mixes connect a new generation of fans to the music, or reconnect old fans like me? Mission accomplished. Get people to love it the way the first generation of fans did so when they bought the LP 50 years ago.

Seems the only people who aren’t going to like these remixes are those who know every details of the original so well that it’s so impressed upon their brains that nothing different could be good for them.

But that’s a pretty small audience overall. And there’s so much other stuff included in these sets for those fans to enjoy.

IronWaffle, ammoj2, bhazen and 3 others like this.
  21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yeah, I do hear it now, but they added a "Come together" line over it, where there wasn't on the original mix.

J Alesait likes this.
  22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Ok I finally listened to it. I still love it.

Grant likes this.
  23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Giles hit this one out of the park.

24. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Another moment to make me realize that Paul felt John's Cold Turkey was too much for the album but felt a song about a guy killing people with a hammer was acceptable.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

if ever there was an album that did not need a remix it's this! so what is the reason for this remix?
    I voted: An Abomination

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.