Poll: Best Opeth album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Metal MD, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is there a particular reason why you don't like the first 3? I admit, they were real growers on me. I once was like you, but I kept giving those first 3 a shot and they really grew on me. I don't rank them among their absolute best, but I really enjoy them now.

Storm Corrosion is awesome. I hope him and Steve do another album together. They've certainly talked about it.

Sordel likes this.
  2. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Strangely enough as much as they have collaborated even on Opeth stuff I just cannot get into Porcupine Tree, Storm Corrosion or Steve Wilson. Don't get me wrong I love the live stuff on youtube they are great live, if I listen to an album though it's mostly a snooze fest for me. I love all sorts of prog and all sides of Opeth too, maybe it will grow on me ! Something about Opeth is pure magic for me though, I think he's a musical genius.

3. Dr. Metal MD

Took me awhile to get into SW. I haven't gotten into all his solo work, merely his last 2 albums, both of which are fantastic. Oddly enough, Porcupine Tree hasn't grown on me enough (yet). SW's albums are perfect when you're in a calm, 'proggy' mood.

Opeth likes this.
  4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Mikael and Steven Wilson are my favorite musicians of the past 20 years.

danielbravo, Dr. Metal MD and Opeth like this.
  5. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

Had to vote for Damnation as it's the one I play most often. But Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park are close behind. And I'm unexpectedly appreciating the prog phase they are in now, as both the songwriting and the playing are flat-out amazing. Didn't really get Heritage, but I totally get Pale Communion.

Going to see them for the first time in a few weeks, and I'm quite excited!

nightstand68 likes this.
  6. Dr. Metal MD

I love their current prog phase. Are you by any chance going to their 25th anniversary show in NYC? If so, you are one lucky dude. Totally jealous. You'll have to report back how the show was.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I really like the song the "Ljudet Innan" from that record. It's beautiful and takes me to another place every time I listen to it. I can't say Storm Corrosion as a whole really excited me, but there are a few songs on there that are close to brilliant. Yet, with a collaboration of Wilson and Akerfeldt I guess I was expecting a bit more.

8. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

:goodie: Yes, I am. I'm really looking forward to it! Jumped on the on-sale back in May, and surprised myself by getting a pretty decent seat in the mezzanine. (In this theater, I like "loge" better than "orchestra" seats.) I will definitely report back on the show, right here in this thread.

Dr. Metal MD and Opeth like this.
  9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Blackwater Park was my first Opeth album, and it is still my favorite. But Damnation and Pale Communion are close behind. I've never heard the first three.

nightstand68 and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  10. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I don't remember ever doing it before or since but I bought Blackwater Park from just being so intrigued by the cover and song titles right there in the record store. In hindsight I think I was aided by not knowing such a thing as harsh vocals even existed. I was floored in a good way. It was a revelation as I thought they fit perfectly with the music. I don't think I listened to anything but Opeth for the next nine months. Now 14 years later whenever I sample a new album and hear a growl I have an internal "ugh, not again". Tired of it though I'll continue listening for other redeeming qualities.

Without looking I'm not surprised at all. I see it in youtube comments, a column of name calling and insults. It's even in the comments of a top notch newspaper like the Guardian though there it's educated dudes insulting each other. So it's not IQ alone, it's attitude or social disposition or something. Personally I'd rather put my fingertips to work looking for new music (or check yesterday's weather) than have an argument with a stranger on the internet.

I had the same experience with Porcupine Tree a few years ago but I have the most recent Steve Wilson solo album up to bat. I saw it in one of the best of 2015 threads and he's just too talented to not try him again. Though I think I like having a balance between brains and muscle. Too brainy and not enough brawn and I nod off.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. Dr. Metal MD

I like that description. Too brainy and not enough brawn. I nod off, too. This is probably why I have difficulty getting into a lot of 70s prog, not enough brawn. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Rush and King Crimson, but the albums I like from them have some brawn.

Music snobbery within a community of fans that generally like good music (like Opeth fans on websites) really bugs me. It's unnecessary 'in-fighting'. When it comes to snobbery against pop music, I'll join arms with people in a heart beat, personally. However, the in-fighting, especially in the metal community, really gets to me at times. So, I now just try to ignore it.

Dreadnought likes this.
  12. Dr. Metal MD

So, I discovered Ne Obliviscaris when looking for other bands that 'sound like Opeth'. They're new (only 2 albums) and out of Australia. Hands-down, one of the most talented bands I've ever heard. Their music floors me. Like Opeth, at least earlier Opeth, they have the perfect blend of brutality, beauty, and virtuoso playing. They will transition between heavier music to acoustic and even violin passages quite often. Since this is an Opeth thread, I cannot help but not share this band. Full of melody, full of energy, and full of progressive metal greatness. I cannot recommend this band highly enough for Opeth fans.

13. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

The Royal Albert Hall live album was my 'in' for Opeth. I started listening to it on Spotify and I picked it because I was amused by the pastiche of the Deep Purple RAH album sleeve. Initially the growling vocals put me off and I was just about to hit the 'off' button when MA switched to clean vocals. That made me think, 'hang on, this lot may be more interesting than I thought'. And that was it really. - I now own several Opeth albums on vinyl but Pale Communion is my favourite. I can't remember when I last played a new release album as much as I've played that one. It's like a proper classic rock album. A bit like Rainbow Rising for the 21st century...

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  14. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Well, I will agree to disagree with both of you. Though I was able to get past the growling vocals, I would love to have that back as opposed to their last two albums. You guys call it progressing or progressive, fine. I think Heritage and Pale Communion are their worst two offerings. I don't think we will agree on Opeth's direction. I personally don't like it at all. And by the way, I don't consider myself a troll for disagreeing with your opinions.

Sequenzer and GodShifter like this.
  15. Dr. Metal MD

I love that live recording. Pale Communion has been on regularly for me since it's release. I'm contemplating buying a 2nd copy, because I'll likely play this copy out over time!

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  16. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Tough one as I like them ALL! For the poll, I went with Pale Communion because I love Prog as well, and the transition starting with Heritage has been seemless while keeping that Edgar Allen Poe-ish sound. Furthermore, the sound quality on these last two is awesome - much smoother along with better dynamics.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  17. Dreadnought

A few months ago after reading a fair bit about a bunch of lesser known but worthy prog bands I gave a try and abandoned ship really fast. Within minutes I did a swan dive overboard! Like sipping lightly steeped chamomile tea with pinkie extended. The other day a friend at work had flowers floating in her thermos and after trying it I said "tastes exactly like hot water". Sorry but I need a big mug of strong caffeinated coffee. Rush! Man, they have so much rocking stuff especially in their earlier years. They have the brains and brawn mix down.

I'm very certain if face to face a lot of verbal fighting vanishes. Last Thurs when I was at the Purson & Ghost show two thirds of the audience were extras from Big Bang Theory and the other third from Lord of the Rings (men and dwarfs mainly with the odd slender, fair haired elf). It was one of the better behaved groups I've been in.

Regarding Ne Obliviscaris, which is cool, the nearest I found to an Opeth sound was Swanlike but that was back in 2002.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  18. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I myself would love some more growls, I think he does them best and it totally adds to the dynamics. I want both I always liked both, watch them put out a new album with all growls and piss off all the new fans haha

Todd W. and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  19. progrocker71

I love classic prog, been listening to it since my teen years. (While my friends were arguing over whether Metallica or Megadeth was the better band I was scouring used record stores for old Yes albums). That's the reason Opeth caught my attention, because even on their earlier albums you could hear those influences on Mikael, it was obvious that he had heard and understood those bands. Heritage kind of being the ultimate example, I was so excited when that album came out because I heard those elements woven in and out of their earlier albums...but it was amazing to hear them let loose and brought to the fore.

danielbravo and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  20. Dreadnought

Hehe, I could take some too. Actually what I would like more of on a next Opeth album are clean vocals where Mikael cuts loose with both lungs as in at the 6:00 mark here:

My fav vocal on the album. I just don't know how to communicate to and then convince musicians who are like a 1000 times more talented than I am that they should follow my advice.

21. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

The star on Pale Communion is Axe, what a drummer !

some of the best parts of heritage are axe too

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    vinylphile and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  22. progrocker71

My favorite vocal moment on Pale Communion is on "Faith In Others" when the instrumentation drops out and just leaves Mikael's plaintive voice over keyboard accompaniment. The section starts around the 2:00 mark. Then when the strings come in...wow...something else. One of their most sublime moments on record.

23. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Funny that you should mention that. I almost bought a second one yesterday, but only to be kept as a sealed copy!

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  24. Dr. Metal MD

Hell yeah! Just had a mug of coffee and I'm listening to Permanent Waves right now. The Rush reissues are superb. Some of the best sounding vinyl I've ever heard. Yeah, people like to hide behind their keyboards and won't ever talk that kind of smack to other's faces. Whenever I'm at metal shows, I always feel a great sense of comradery. How was Ghost live? I saw them open for Mastodon/Opeth a few years back and I thought they sounded great. Thanks for the link!

Heritage. I love that album. One of my most frequently listened to Opeth albums.

Axes is a beast. I think he is starting to get some of the recognition he deserves. Some magazine named him prog drummer of the year last year, I believe.

I may have to go and buy one... I just want a EU/UK copy though. I had problems with the US copies. My current playing copy is a UK copy. It sounds fantastic overall, but now has some scratches because I was being careless. So, I will probably grab a new, sealed one soon.

Dreadnought and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  25. Dreadnought

Yes love it there and further along at the 4:30 mark. Also in the "plaintive" dept I really like after 3:15 of Elysian Woes. Worth noting is liking the simple elegance of the videos and much more importantly how nice the tonal balance and dynamics of Pale Communion is. So crankable!

Ghost were very, very good. They're so polished and professional I can't imagine them being any other way. One oddity: decibels. In a movie theatre recently the volume was so loud it hurt. When my right ear started ringing I watched rest of the movie with index fingers (discreetly) inserted. Because of that I grabbed ear plugs from the drugstore before the show for worst case scenario. Ghost's volume and especially the bass had my ribcage thumping and yet never had any pain and zero ringing after. It may have been divine intervention! :p

danielbravo and Dr. Metal MD like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.