[Poll] Best Turntable Under $1000 USD? (2021 Edition - Pick Two)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Apr 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

I'd probably go a little outside the box with "Other" and pick the Opera Consonance Wax Engine. I think you can get the 12" tonearm model (below) in 120V for under $1000 from Chinese sources, though shipping may push it over. It's a pretty mature design now, I think only the tonearm has done much evolution over the years, and with Bill Firebaugh's involvement in the design (they also build his Well Tempered tables), you know it has a good platter bearing and strong fundamental design. And with the 12V DC servo motor from long standing Mabuchi, you have built-in speed adjustability too. Unfortunately, you still have to move the belt for 45, so a missed opportunity there, but I don't play many 45s, and it's pretty simple to move the belt.

[​IMG]

2. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

^ Hmm, Wax Engine. Hadn’t really heard of that one before. :thumbsup:

3. Cyclone Ranger

Too bad we’re not hearing more from owners or former owners of some of these sub-$1K ‘tables.
    .[/cor]

4. Cyclone Ranger

Where we're at as we approach 100 voters in the poll...

First-place is a shootout between Technics and Rega. Probably to be expected... they were the top two last time out.

Third-place is a three-way brawl between newcomer Schiit, old-hand VPI, and Mobile Fidelity.

Everyone else is an also-ran. Even the perennially popular Pioneer, and well-known Music Hall and Pro-Ject brands.

Interestingly, five of the six 'tables I'd nominally say were best in SQ in this segment are the only ones in double-digits in the vote totals (Pioneer being the only exception). :thumbsup:

Diapason likes this.
  5. Diapason

Diapason Forum Resident

Have you heard many of these TTs yourself, CR?

6. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

My guess is that many of these sub $1k tables, are typically (Rega and Technics owners excluded) less likely to be on an enthusiast forum such as this. My table (Uturn) is way below this threshold, but I spend more time here to learn, rather than to share my "expert" opinion in most ways. The Rega P3 is popular because of it's blend of good quality out of the box, plus it's become a huge modding platform, probably more than any other table here (I could be wrong of course, but it's what I see from many users here and elsewhere), and Technics has a similar loyal following. But the others are spread out more widely. Project has so many models, it almost hurts itself in doing so, MoFi will keep getting better, although some updated variation might help it keep pace - even some different colors might be cool. The price does keep me considering them at times. Over Technics or Rega? Not sure about that.

trd likes this.
  7. Cyclone Ranger

Some, yes, but not all.

I'd be frankly amazed if someone had heard all of 'em, especially the Dual (which is a brand-new and soon-to-be-released model in the US, at least).

Diapason likes this.
  8. Diapason

Diapason Forum Resident

I'm particularly interested in Rega vs Schiit in purely sonic terms, but I won't hijack your thread!

9. Cyclone Ranger

Some folks who've heard both were talking about it on the Super Best Audio Friends forum (IIRC), and apparently the Schiit, properly set up, whooped ass on the Rega Planar 3. But, there's a lot of Schiit people on that forum, I think.

I've heard the Rega, but I haven't heard the Schiit yet, so I can't comment personally.

Diapason likes this.
  10. Neonknight1

Neonknight1 Forum Resident

I would take the Sol from the list.

For other I would put a Well Tempered turntable, whichever variant is available on the used market, typically the Classic.

11. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I had an Oracle Delphi iii with Fidelity Research FR64s arm and a stable of expensive mc cartridges with an Ayre phono stage....foolishly sold it off(my wife made me keep my records god love her lol)...a year or so later i picked up a RPM3 Carbon,put a 2M Black through a Graham Slee.Does a great job playing records that i can't replace either for sound quality or availability reasons.I have it on a spiked stand on a concrete floor....so my only caveat would be the lack of any suspension may not make it great for springy floors or close proximity to speakers at loud volumes:) ...i also wish it had a removable headshell...speed is dead nutz perfect and motor is completely separate from the table...belt drive around the periphery of the platter probably contributes to the speed stability....great value imho :)

SpeedMorris and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

save $200 more and get a Technics 1500C.

WithinYourReach likes this.
  13. Cyclone Ranger

Cheapest Well-Tempered ‘table last I checked was the Simplex Mk2, which is over $2000 new... aka well beyond the scope of the poll, which is new TTs $1000 and less.

(Though Well-Tempereds are of course pretty cool. :thumbsup: )

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  14. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Not that it matters all that much, but Stereophile ranks the Schiit in its Class B and the Planar 3 in Class C (along with the $500 Debut Carbon Evo).

Diapason and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  15. Cyclone Ranger

Not only that, they did a pretty nice review of the Sol, too:

Schiit Audio Sol turntable

Diapason likes this.
  16. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

Yeah but the Rega can be significantly and inexpensively upgraded over time, don't believe the Schitt will ever reach the economy of scale to have aftermarket manufactures.

17. Diapason

Diapason Forum Resident

Gotta say, if I could pick that up for the euro equivalent of 799 USD (€667) I don't think I'd be able to resist. The local €869 price tag is just enough to stop me doing something silly after a few gins.

trd likes this.
  18. Cyclone Ranger

Yes, but at US pricing, the Sol is both cheaper than the Planar 3 and allegedly sounds better, with the only downside being the ‘fiddly-ness’/immense adjustability of the Sol.

That’s a pretty good starting point for the Schiit, regardless of what money one wishes to throw at the P3 post-purchase.

I kinda hope the Sol takes significant share in the $800-1000 TT market, as it may help push some of the big established names to further up their game. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    BSU and Diapason like this.
  19. Cyclone Ranger

Yeah, the duties and taxes are kinda brutal. Hits us on this side of the pond when we buy UK stuff too. :(

Diapason likes this.
  20. Cyclone Ranger

Apparently, starting in May, the Technics SL1200 Mk7 will be available in Silver. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

IRG likes this.
  21. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

Apologies for bending the rules of your poll. I do appreciate your effort making them, and your tongue-in-cheek replies. Now, the surge is probably the 'Used 1200/10 MKII' crowd voting. Just like me ;)

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  22. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I just saw today that the SL1200 Mk7 will be in silver, late to the party but I dig it. Will probably take this over the 1500c or the new SL100 whenever it comes out. Price will be close either way it seems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.