POLL: Bob Dylan's Another Side of Bob Dylan - your favourite track?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Yep, mine was named Erica!

Syd Avett likes this.
  2. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Some really great melodies and lyrics, though I find the cawing vocal a bit off-putting. I wish Dylan would have revisited songs like Spanish Harlem more often--surprised it hasn't been covered more often, too.

3. 905

905 Senior Member

I Don't Believe You, which just may be my favorite Dylan song

4. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

My favorite Dylan album (or his debut depending on my mood) so one is incredibly difficult but default to All I Really etc.

5. Some great Dylan compositions on this LP, but the only one where his actual performance here is definitive as well IMHO is "To Ramona". Gorgeous, incandescent, single-take - and my favorite here by a long shot.

bobc and Richard--W like this.
  6. helter

helter Forum Resident

Dylan experts
    How is the latest mono vinyl copy?
    Should I buy it ?

7. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Anyone here get the new MFSL 45 mono yet??

8. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

One of the very few Dylan LPs where I own an original mono pressing. I went with To Ramona. Tender, sweet, heartbreaking and perhaps cruel, as only Dylan can be.

bobc likes this.
  9. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

It Ain't Me Babe

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  10. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Spanish Harlem Incident: 7 votes? :confused:

linclink likes this.
  11. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Too hard; next question.

12. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

It Ain't Me Babe
    To Ramona
    My Back Pages
    and the incredible Chimes of Freedom are the songs that still resonate with me on this album.

On the other hand, "All I Really Want to Do" is horrific. I just can't stand it.

13. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

WHAT??!!!!!

Sear likes this.
  14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"Chimes of Freedom." I had heard the Byrds version first, but then when I heard Dylan's unabridged 7-minute bare bones acoustic version with all of the verses, it totally blew me away. Some of his richest imagery and multi-layered messages are in this song.
    Least favorite: "Ballad in Plain D''. One of the few songs in his catalog that I consider badly written.

bobc likes this.
  15. 8 now!

"Spanish Harlem Incident" gets my vote!!!

majorlance and Mother like this.
  16. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I chose To Ramona although Chimes is probably the greater song. I have always liked this album. Any one know when this album was released in the UK? Did it come out the same time as the USA version? I also never mind hearing this album in mono or stereo. I do not have 5.1 so can only hear that in a sort of stereo playback by my Oppo BDP 103EU.

17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I Shall Be Free #10

^ Here I am, the outlier again (second to the last number of votes at time of this post)

This is my least favorite (except for his debut) of Bob's first seven or so albums...

18. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Good grief john lennonist! Personally I think this is one of Bob's worst songs/performances on an official release. He even mucks up the joke bit that he learned in England. I really do not know how this got the nod over Mama You Been On My Mind. Ah well I was wrong in thinking this song would get no votes.

19. I love the whole album but voted for To Ramona

20. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

What do you think about this album?

21. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

This is my favourite Dylan album as this is the one that got me into his music. Odd choice, I know. I was 13 or 14 and I "borrowed" the CD from my cousin who had never listened to it, and immediately I felt a very deep connection with all of the songs. I voted for Ballad in Plain D, as that (and Chimes of Freedom) were songs I listened to on repeat. I remember driving around with friends listening to this and they would be like... what the hell? Really not music you'd expect 13 year old boys to rock out to in the car!

But I love literally every song on this album and can listen to it anytime.

Sear, streetlegal and YardByrd like this.
  22. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

No vote. All of songs are awesome.

23. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

For many years, the only acoustic era record I liked was the debut... didn't like the protest or message songs and still don't... they haven't dated well... I stupidly lumped this in with those records and didn't give it a fair chance for 30 years... five years ago I began listening in earnest to his acoustic records with the same attention to detail that I had reserved for his 65-66 stuff... as I said, the protest tunes still bore me but the personal drug inspired surrealistic screeds are the best ever penned by anyone... lyrics matter to me and nobody comes close to this guy... this is my fave of the acoustic ers bunch and I rank it Top 5

24. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Yep, a definite contender for most underrated Dylan song.
    The late, great Chris Whitley did a nice cover back in 2000:

linclink likes this.
  25. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Yeesh.
    Not just the worst song on "Another Side," but a solid contender for worst song in Dylan's canon.
    IIRC, even the man himself is on record saying that he doesn't like it.